JP Sauer & Sohn thoughts

JP Sauer & Sohn thoughts

This is a discussion on JP Sauer & Sohn thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When my Grandmother passed away (about 4 years back) I was given a pistol that my Grandfather had brought back from WWII. He was a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: JP Sauer & Sohn thoughts

JP Sauer & Sohn thoughts

When my Grandmother passed away (about 4 years back) I was given a pistol that my Grandfather had brought back from WWII. He was a medic, and they were not issued firearms at the time. After a number of his friends had been shot, they started arming themselves with guns they would pick up off of dead or caprtured Germans. The gun that he came home with (and is now in my possession) was taken off an officer from a German camp that they overtook one evening. It is a JP Saur & Sohn 7.65 model 1913. It took me a bit of research to find out exactly what it was that i had. From the knowledge that i have aquired, these pistols are not very collectible. I was never really thinking about getting rid of it anyway. I am very sentimental when it comes to family heirlooms. Particularlly weaponry and fishing gear.

I decided to strip the gun down and inspect the gun from every angle. After doing a full cleaning and lubing, I am very confident that this gun is ready to kill some paper. I am looking for thoughts on whether or not this would be a good pocket pistol until I can get my funds up to buy the LC9 or BU-9 Nano that i am after in the end. I have heard things about 32 ACP being not as effective if you buy hollow point, and in the same breath, they said FMJ ammo will give you the penetration and stopping power you need.

This all started as a tribute to my Grandfather, and has ended in thinking of using the pistol as a daily carrier. Keep in mind, I have yet to even shoot this weapon. The accuracy and dependability factor has not been addressed yet. I am questioning the lethality of the round at this point. I can't wait to hear some feed back.
    bmcgilvray and 357and40 like this.

VIP Member
    Sure would like to see a pic.

Cool story, though.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    that's my jewel........ I will take a couple of pictures when I get off work. I even have the original holster.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

High quality pistols, the Sauer & Sohn products. Take a look at where Sauer is now.
    About Us : Overview

Extremely well made and well finished pistols crafted from quality steel. Some innovative designs are included in some Sauer models too including early pre-war lightweight Duraluminum frames and a peculiar safety lever centered in a trigger. The National Firearms Museum: Sauer Model 1930 Berhorden pistol Where have we seen that "safe-action" trigger today? Hmmm... Nothing new under the sun. Well, except for plastic components.

Be sure and hang on to the Sauer Model 1913. The various Sauer models are just now coming into their own with collectors. A free tip and you heard it first on Defensive Carry Forum.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-P...rds=*J+P+Sauer
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    High quality pistols, the Sauer & Sohn products. Take a look at where Sauer is now.
    About Us : Overview

Extremely well made and well finished pistols crafted from quality steel. Some innovative designs are included in some Sauer models too including early pre-war lightweight Duraluminum frames and a peculiar safety lever centered in a trigger. The National Firearms Museum: Sauer Model 1930 Berhorden pistol Where have we seen that "safe-action" trigger today? Hmmm... Nothing new under the sun. Well, except for plastic components.

Be sure and hang on to the Sauer Model 1913. The various Sauer models are just now coming into their own with collectors. A free tip and you heard it first on Defensive Carry Forum.
    thank you, good sir. I plan on passing all my weapons on to my children. Like i said, I am about as sentimental (heavy on the mental side) as you can get when it comes to family hand-me-downs. Almost every firearm in my collection has a story behind it. Everytime I squeeze the trigger on my favorite rifle (Remmington 30-06) I swear my dad is still standing right there beside me giving me pointers and safety tips lol
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't know why but I've had this in my bookmarks for a while. This appears to be a good place to share.

BVS on-line - NĚMECKO SAUER 1913 7,65 mm Br.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Moderator
    Pictures would be nice. If it is in good mechanical shape I see no reason to not carry it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It will be neato to see the photos!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I started carrying a Colt 1903 in .32 acp that was left to me by my dad. The .32 acp, I would bet, is lethal. Like with any bullet where the bullet hits is what matters. Does it hit a BG as hard as a .45 acp? Well no it doesn't. It is not on my list of preffered carry calibers, which is 9x19 and/or .45 acp, but that is my preferrence. .32 acp ammo is generally higher priced than even 9x19. I stopped carrying that 1903 for a few reasons: 1. I only had one magazine for it and even if I had more magazines I dislike the magazine release on it. 2. Caliber/capacity. 3. The gun is not something I am willing to give up as evidence and possible never see again. As soon as I could I started carrying something else and ended up with a GLOCK 19.

If it is all you have carry it until you can get somethng else, but, yes keep it in your family.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I don't know why but I've had this in my bookmarks for a while. This appears to be a good place to share.

BVS on-line - NĚMECKO SAUER 1913 7,65 mm Br.
    nice exploded view

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I started carrying a Colt 1903 in .32 acp that was left to me by my dad. The .32 acp, I would bet, is lethal. Like with any bullet where the bullet hits is what matters. Does it hit a BG as hard as a .45 acp? Well no it doesn't. It is not on my list of preffered carry calibers, which is 9x19 and/or .45 acp, but that is my preferrence. .32 acp ammo is generally higher priced than even 9x19. I stopped carrying that 1903 for a few reasons: 1. I only had one magazine for it and even if I had more magazines I dislike the magazine release on it. 2. Caliber/capacity. 3. The gun is not something I am willing to give up as evidence and possible never see again. As soon as I could I started carrying something else and ended up with a GLOCK 19.

If it is all you have carry it until you can get somethng else, but, yes keep it in your family.

i had not taken into consideration the fact that the gun may be taken as evidence if discharging the weapon becomes manditory. Looks like i need to really need to get busy with collecting the funds for my LC9 or BU-9 Nano then. They would have to pry this gun from my cold / dead fingers.

I will post pictures as soon as i get off work (in an hour or so).

the gun is perfect except for the grip on the right side of the gun. The top portion of it was broken some how. I like to think that my Grandpaw did it while wrestling the German officer before beating him into submission..... lol
    bmcgilvray and ZOMBIEvs42 like this.

sorry for the delay....... here are some pictures of the pistol in question
    j&p-1.jpgj&p-2.jpgj&p-3.jpg
    bmcgilvray, joker1, darbo and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Beautiful heirloom Harold. Take a look at the Sig P230 or perhaps a P239. That way you can keep your war trophy safe at home, but still carry a gun from it's legacy to protect yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links