Been on an M&P kick lately, so today I bought a Glock.....

This is a discussion on Been on an M&P kick lately, so today I bought a Glock..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Gen 4 G23 to be exact. Nothing flashy or showy, just a great compromise between capacity and ease of carry. Excellent for when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Been on an M&P kick lately, so today I bought a Glock.....

Been on an M&P kick lately, so today I bought a Glock.....

A Gen 4 G23 to be exact. Nothing flashy or showy, just a great compromise between capacity and ease of carry. Excellent for when I don't have to be "super concealed" or go some place where something is more likely to "go down". I like the dual recoil spring of the gen 4 G23. Recoil seems more mild that my old Gen 3 guns, but that could be placebo.

Two things I think Glock really did well on this pistol:

1. Grip texture. It is more aggressive yet can be carried IWB without rubbing you raw. No need for Talons on this one.
    2. The mag release. What a MAJOR improvement over the Gen 3's.
    2a. Three mags! When others are skimping on mags, Glock added another one.

Can't wait to put some XS Big Dots on this bad boy and spend some more time at the range with it!

Best part was the price. I bought it from a guy who bought it for his wife. He said she shot it 39 times. I believe him too because the guts look unfired and there isn't a scratch on it and no smile on the barrel. I paid a whopping $450, no tax, no nothing.

Happy 4th everyone!
    DJC7, atctimmy, .XX and 2 others like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! The compact Glock is one of my favorite platforms. I used to have a 23 but I had to sell it. Now I'm looking at the 32 as my next pistol because my EDC is a M&P .357sig so I already have plenty of ammo

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    Congrats! The compact Glock is one of my favorite platforms. I used to have a 23 but I had to sell it. Now I'm looking at the 32 as my next pistol because my EDC is a M&P .357sig so I already have plenty of ammo
    Yea, I almost got the 32. But ammo is so expensive. But I plan to buy the .357 sig barrel anyways. I have never shot that caliber, and the ballistics intrigue me!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'm a Ruger fan but i really like my Glock 23....great dependable pistol
    bigpapa likes this.

The glock 23 gen 4 was the first glock I bought. Fits my hand like a glove. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I like my g30 sf. It's a brick and I'm ok with it .

I got the 32 several years ago LNIB. Then I bought the Storm Lake G23 .40SW barrel. Had no intention of ever owning a G23.

....and then one day my local GS made me an offer on this G23 with Glock night sights, and three mags for under $500.

Now the Storm Lake 40SW Barrel resides in the.....Glock 23.

bigpapa and smolck like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

That is the perfect size Glock IMO. I've had 3 Glock 19's and 2 Glock 32's. Great pistolas!
    SwordMaster likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

G23 gen4 was my first one as well.

During my first few days at the range, I found the texture to actually be a bit rough at the end of the day (but that could have been a function of number of rounds, as well), but haven't noticed it as an issue during my last few trips.

So far, that puppy has not had one FTE/FTF. It's been stellar. Now, my aim, on the other hand....
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

Nice piece. BTW, I know a guy that does great custom work on Glocks, he can even remove the trigger guard for you
    WHEC724, Phaedrus and smolck like this.
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

Quote Originally Posted by southernwi View Post
    Now, my aim, on the other hand....
    Me too. It's hard cause I shoot the M&P's a lot better than I do the Glocks. I sure hope to put enough rounds through this one to get better. I can hit a pie plate with every round from 10 yards, but I want fist sized groups.

I see people do it with Glocks all the time so it isn't the gun, it is the nut loose behind the trigger!

I've read that the gen 4 updates were specifically to tame the .40 which was a bear for previous generations. Hence the dual recoil springs. Good choice!

VIP Member
    I'm just glad Glock has apparently worked the kinks out of the Gen4's. I was really bummed when they first came out and was guilty of talking about switching to M&P if I ever needed another polymer double-stack.

However, it's becoming apparent that my Gen3's will likely out-live me. They show no significant wear and I have enough spare parts to rebuild them a couple times.

Glocks will never be the guns that I pull out of the safe to look at, but I would not do without them. 'Glad you're helping keep the factory going.
    smolck and AlanW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    was guilty of talking about switching to M&P if I ever needed another polymer double-stack.
    I love M&P's, I carry a Shield daily and love it. But for the life of me I can't figure out why S&W doesn't make a full grip "compact". You either have the short gripped "compacts" or the very long gripped full size. The 40c is almost the same size as the G23, but holds 3 less rounds and a shorter barrel. I dunno, I like Glocks lineup of "full size", "compact" and "sub compact" better.
    Sap03 and zonker1986 like this.

Wouldn't the S&W SD series be considered a full grip compact?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links