First 1911 ?

This is a discussion on First 1911 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all new hear to the board,looks like a lot of great info. Have several firearms and looking at buying my first 1911,I am looking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: First 1911 ?

First 1911 ?

Hi all new hear to the board,looks like a lot of great info. Have several firearms and looking at buying my first 1911,I am looking @ the Kimber in either pro carry II or the pro tle II have looked @ both in the store and like both but just can't decide on which one,wondering if I could get some insight from those who carry them or 1911 in general. This will probably not be my edc weapon but will definetly be in the rotation. Thanks for any input.
    Alan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Hi all new hear to the board,looks like a lot of great info. Have several firearms and looking at buying my first 1911,I am looking @ the Kimber in either pro carry II or the pro tle II have looked @ both in the store and like both but just can't decide on which one,wondering if I could get some insight from those who carry them or 1911 in general. This will probably not be my edc weapon but will definetly be in the rotation. Thanks for any input.
    Alan
    My uncle who has been shooting 1911s since being on the Navy pistol team in the late 70s swears by Kimber. It's about as great an endorsement as possible.

I, on the other hand, would just as soon buy a Colt if I'm going to spend a grand.

My EDC is a Citadel Compact that I've had no problems with. It's definitely rougher build quality than my Colt is, but that's to be expected from a gun that's $500 cheaper. It's accurate, reliable, and easily carried even being all steel.

bigpapa likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    To make a long story short: Buy a Colt. Can't find one? Buy a Ruger.

End of story.
    WINTEJER000 and GH like this.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

I've carried Sig, Springfield Armory and Dan Wesson 1911's. My favorite is the DW. Springfield is hard to beat with their lifetime warranty. Unless your dead set on the Kimber, look at some others before plopping your money down.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    In all honesty there's not a huge difference in any of the mid tier 1911s. Some have had problems with Kimber, but the internet blows things way out of proportion. Nobody can make the choice for you, pick the gun you like the most. Whether it is a Springfield, Kimber, Sig, Colt, or any other maker none of us will be the one that owns it, you will be.
    45ACP4ever and DaveInEdmonds like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Colt colt colt c2c.jpg

If you cant find a Colt, I just saw one of these brand new for $935 and it felt great
    SAL.jpg
    Jaeger and GH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Alan
    Apologies, I've only researched 1911's in hopes of getting my first as well, so take that into consideration - but I might suggest starting with something less expensive, like the Citadel mentioned by TxTchRR, and plan to trade up later. My thinking is that it's better to get used to maintaining and carrying a less expensive version, due to the possibility of cosmetic damage as you learn your way around. For me, with a $1000 gun, I'd be so worried about scratching it during disassembly and cleaning, banging into things with a holster I'm not used to, getting sweat on it and so on, that I'd not only enjoy it less but would probably practice with it less than I should.

Whether or not that's a consideration for you, I'd recommend gunblast.com as a good site for reviews. Jeff Quinn seems to review most any 1911 he can get his hands on, and has good videos (and an awesome beard).
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I have three Colts, a Dan Wesson Valor, two Kimbers, a Rock Island Armory, and a Smith & Wesson Lew Horton. The Kimbers are very good quality 1911s that get an undeserved bad rap on the internet in my opinion. I have thousands of flawless rounds through mine. The Colt and Dan Wesson 1911s usually have a much higher resale value because they have a good reputation on the internet. The Dan Wesson Valor is the best of my 1911s out of the box for fit, finish, and accuracy. All of my 1911s are reliable and all of them are the five inch government size. I carry a 1911 daily. My most often carried 1911 is a Kimber Super Carry Custom. The alloy frame and rounded butt make it a little easier to conceal and carry.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Its all personal taste I would go colt, than springfield most bang for your dollar.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    I spell 1911.... C O L T . Hope this helps ! Have two myself .
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    myself. KIMBER all the way. own 5 an all super shooters. my desert warrior is the top dog. but all 5 are fine guns. Im not a fan of the polymer stuff my dog can chew up.

I have a Kimber (Tactical Entry II) and a Colt (LWT Commander). Both are excellent, IMO. I prefer to Colt because it is lighter to carry. The Kimber has a rail so with a light it is a great HD gun. Good luck!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Administrator
    Buy a Colt. Better investment resale value down the road than Kimber.

I am not making a judgment call but, that is just the reality of the way things happen to be in the firearm marketplace.
    5lima30ret, Aceoky and OD* like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    It sounds like you made the first tough decision; budget. You could blow $400 looking for a "bargain" 1911, then regret it later and be it the hole trying to save up for a quality pistol. Save until you can get into the quality entry level ($800-900) from square one.

The next decision is size. I see no benefit in carrying a 3" 1911, but there is one big reason to not carry one; endurance reliability. 3" 1911's hold the market share on reliability problems. No, they are not all misfeeders, but compared to their 5" cousins (all else being equal), the 3" tend to fail first.

Advantages of 4.25-5" barrel- muzzle velocity, sight radius, rotational inertia (to reduce muzzle flip), and slide mass (to maintain cycling reliability). The added barrel length does not hinder me in carrying OC or CC. Grip height does, so you may want to look at CCO or V-bob models. These can be found in 4-4.25" barrels.

Finally, manufacturer. I am not beholden to one make. I like Springfield, and I think you get a lot for your dollar. My Kimber has been 100%. Dan Wesson would be my next investment (if the boss would let me spend her vacation money ). There's lots to choose from, just stay in the quality range and out of the "bargain" prices. You get what you pay for.
    pignut likes this.

I have a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD, S&W PC1911, and a Kimber SIS Ultra. All are fine shooters and I'va had zero problems with them. The rounded heel on the Smith and the CC-HD make them a true joy to shoot. If you're set on getting a Kimber, take a look at the Super Carry Pro & Super Carry Custom lines. Once you shoot one, you'll be hooked.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links