Liking The New Shield and Wintrhop Holster

This is a discussion on Liking The New Shield and Wintrhop Holster within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I noted earlier, I went " http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...hield-9mm.html ." So far I'm pleased with the purchase. So much so the XDS is off the radar ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Liking The New Shield and Wintrhop Holster

VIP Member

As I noted earlier, I went "Looking for an XDS .45 and ended up with a Shield 9mm." So far I'm pleased with the purchase. So much so the XDS is off the radar for a while. I've got 212 rounds through the Shield (200 FMJ and 12 147 Gr Golden Sabers) without a hitch. Well, one FTE on the second mag, and I think it was due to me having a very loose grip. The gun "points" very well for me and in no time I've become pretty decent at 5 - 7 yard rapid fire point shooting. The flush 7-round mag is rather snug, which I learned is common among the Shields, but I don't top off so I just load by locking the slide, inserting the mag, and then feeding one in.

The trigger is the 6.5 pounder, which, coming off j-frames, seems amazingly light. The reset is very pronounced, which I like. I've carried it a couple of times now OWB in the following Winthrop holster: Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson M&P Shield OWB w/o bodyshield Holster Black: Sports & Outdoors Some pics are below. The holster conceals very well under an untucked polo or button down. It is not as "comfortable" as a j-frame OWB in a Galco concealable belt holster, but that is a very high bar to meet. For IWB I have a Sticky and a DeSantis Cozy Partner (Haven't used the cozy enough yet to decide if I like it).

I really like the trigger on this gun. I might have to give some other M&P's a look. Perhaps the 9C, a gun which appears to have a favorable opinion among the members here.

Kennydale and Kilowatt3 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I never gave any thought to M&P's as a whole, I wasn't even shopping for a shield. The guy at the gun shop told me I had to hold one and in under a minute I bought it and ended up trading off my glock 26. I like the shield so much I want to buy a full size M&P now.. like right now.

I have a m&p9, a 9c, and a shield in 9. Absolutely love them all.

I like that holster. Thanks for posting. Always looking for new ways to carry tight.

I'm in the same boat as some of you. Picked up the shield and it replace my G26. So far, so good. Just ordered a few extra mags for it

I dropped one in the shopping cart....
    Joe was right.

I understand that the XDs and the Shield can interchange holsters, that they are practically the same size in ever area. Right?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinglebob View Post
    I understand that the XDs and the Shield can interchange holsters, that they are practically the same size in ever area. Right?
    No. The Shied's trigger guard is lower than the XDS trigger guard, and the XDS is wider than the Shield. So if you get an XDS holster, the Shield will not fit. If you get a Shield holster, the XDS will be VERY snug, and will stretch the holster so that the Shield no longer fits snug. If you have both, I recommend separate Winthrops for OWB concealed carry.

Good comparison here: XDS .45 vs M&P Shield 9mm Comparision Photos
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Thanx PEF!

Very nice looking holster. Went through their website and "LO AND BEHOLD!" they carry an extensive Ruger line (Even the Ruger P models). Hope to see a review after you have worn it for a few months.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    PEF How do you like the sticky holster?

Pffffft. M&P's? Aren't they just a refined Sigma? Ain't no way I'm going to buy a freaking Sigma again.......that was five years ago.

This is now.

SW M&P9L
    SW M&P 9
    SW M&P 9C
    SW M&P Shield 9

....and that's just the 9mm versions of the M&P's that I have added to the collection. If I ever have to give up my Glocks, the M&P's will do just fine.

carry the above in a Galco Kingtuck IWB holster, and the Shield in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a Winthrop for my full size mp 9mm and I really like it. For the price it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links