Any 9mm Luger pistols similar to the Bersa Thunder?

This is a discussion on Any 9mm Luger pistols similar to the Bersa Thunder? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really really like the way my wife's new Bersa Thunder feels in my hand and how it points naturally. But, I don't personally want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any 9mm Luger pistols similar to the Bersa Thunder?

I really really like the way my wife's new Bersa Thunder feels in my hand and how it points naturally. But, I don't personally want to go smaller than a 9mm Luger. So, this also excludes just about any Makarov style pistol I've run across. Are there any Thunder/Makarov style pistols chambered in 9mm Luger or larger? If so, are they reliable enough for defensive purposes?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

All steel construction. Very flat single-stack design. Moderately sized. Reminiscent of a Colt Model 1908 .380 ACP only a bit larger. A 9mm Tok. A shooting acquaintance just got one of these Zastava M70 pistols. Quite nice really. Personally, I believe I'd prefer it over any Bersa.

CAI Zastava Tokarev M70A Semi Auto Pistol, 9mm, New.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Bersa Thunder .380 is a straight blow back design and is patterned after the Walther PPK. Other than the 9x18 Makarov, I don't think you are going to find
    a similar pistol in 9mm. Bersa makes several pistols in 9mm that are copies of the Walther P88, the Thunder 9 Pro, the Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro and their new single stack the Bersa BP 9cc that is a cross between a Kahr and a Glock. I've owned Bersas in one form or another since 1993, and I have never had a malfunction
    shooting any of them. They are probably the most underrated, unheard of gun company on the planet. The current offerings do not have the perfect fit and finish of the higher priced pistols, but they function beautifully. Here are two Bersas that make very good carry guns:

Bersa BP9cc single stack 9mm 8+1 next to the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 9mm 13+1.

and if else fails, you might look at the Bersa Thunder .380 Plus, which is the same gun your wife has, only it has a double stack 15 round mag. If you have to shoot little bullets, its good to have LOTS of little bullets. Shoots and points exactly like the 7+1 single stack Bersa .380.
    glockman10mm and GhostMaker like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If your looking for something comparable in size. Take a look at the bp9cc from Bersa the S&W shield and Springfields new xds all in 9mm.

What about the Ruger LC9?

Ruger® LC9® Centerfire Pistol Models

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I think the BP9cc is my next 9mm.

VIP Member
    The Bersa .380 is a fixed barrel blow back design. I'm not aware of any modern 9 Luger built on that platform. The closest (that I can think of) would be a gun chambered in 9 Mak.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The Bersa .380 is a fixed barrel blow back design. I'm not aware of any modern 9 Luger built on that platform. The closest (that I can think of) would be a gun chambered in 9 Mak.
    I really like the Mak's. I current have a few of 'em and would trust them in a pinch anytime. I know it isn't quite a regular 9x19 but it knocks down steel targets set for 9mm or larger with ease so as a SD it is IMHO a worthy shooter to carry.

With its reliability and accuracy I must wonder why there aren't more fixed barrel designs out there. I know it was a Walther copy more or less (mostly more). Does this design have drawbacks I'm not aware of?

It does have a snappy recoil and will literally start hurting my hand to the point of needing to wear gloves after a few hundred rounds. Is this possibly the reason?
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

IMHO the BERSA BP9CC is the best carry choice of the slim 9mms . The trigger is excellent and shorter than the Taurus ,Ruger & Kahr pistols plus it comes with 2 8rd mags , which the others come with 1 ,7rd mag . The only draw back imo is the mag safety .

I've always thought Bersa was the best kept secret in guns.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I bought a Bersa two-tone 380 maybe 10-12 years ago. I know it was only $199 then. A couple years back bought second one in satin nickel. It failed my first day out on the range breaking it in. The extractor fell out. I'd go with the 9mm Shield. It has higher build quality and women can shoot them well as attested by my wife.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

I found the Bersa BP9CC to be a fine CCW gun. Ultimately I replaced it with a Beretta Nano, which I like just slightly more. When outfitted with 8 round mags both guns are about the same size and within 1/2 oz of the same weight. But with the 6 round mag the Nano is considerably smaller and easier to conceal.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The Rohrbaugh is a small, PPK-like 9mm. Similar in size to the Bersa, but heavier, is the older HK P7, a very compact, reliable and accurate 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    I With its reliability and accuracy I must wonder why there aren't more fixed barrel designs out there. I know it was a Walther copy more or less (mostly more). Does this design have drawbacks I'm not aware of?

It does have a snappy recoil and will literally start hurting my hand to the point of needing to wear gloves after a few hundred rounds. Is this possibly the reason?
    The main reason you don't see that many fixed barrel guns in 9x19 and larger is that they can't safely be direct blowback without making the slide massive/heavy to keep the breech closed until chamber pressure is at safe leverls.. With a fixed barrel, you also can't use the widespread and relatively simple Browning short recoil action (or perhaps a rotating barrel) so you'll have to keep the breech locked through some other means such as a locking block (Beretta 92 and others, makes the gun slide wide), or some more novel system (gas delayed blowback, H&K P7/Steyr GB). Also, as you pointed out, recoil can be unpleasant with direct blowback guns.
    zonker1986 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    I really like the Mak's. I current have a few of 'em and would trust them in a pinch anytime. I know it isn't quite a regular 9x19 but it knocks down steel targets set for 9mm or larger with ease so as a SD it is IMHO a worthy shooter to carry.

With its reliability and accuracy I must wonder why there aren't more fixed barrel designs out there. I know it was a Walther copy more or less (mostly more). Does this design have drawbacks I'm not aware of?

I have a CZ82 chambered in 9 Mak that I sometimes carry. The 12+1 capacity is comforting in a small gun. I like the Speer 80 gr bonded unicore rounds in it.

You are correct about the snappy recoil, definitely not a 400 round range gun, but for a grab and go defensive gun it works great.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links