Question about custom guns

This is a discussion on Question about custom guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do custom guns loose thier reliabilty in extreme conditions? It's been my experience that guns like gov. issued .45s and com-bloc weapons may rattle and ...

Thread: Question about custom guns

Question about custom guns

Do custom guns loose thier reliabilty in extreme conditions? It's been my experience that guns like gov. issued .45s and com-bloc weapons may rattle and not be as accurate as custom built guns but they are toaly reliable in extreme environment.

2. Remove Ads

No they don't

I was at the range on Wednesday for a long time. A friend came with a Hilton Yam he acquired several years ago. He went through well over 800 rds in this range outing and not a single hiccup, and no he did not bore snake his 1911 once in those 800 rds. He has done several 4-day schools and not cleaned his Yam1911 once. He also swears by ACT/Novak mags.

So no custom pistols do not lose their reliability provided it is a quality piece.

~A

That is a great question. I agree with Mike by the way. Sometimes the custom gun maker will list ammo that performs good or poorly in the gun. The buyer may have the attitude this gun will shoot whatever I feed it or its no good. If certain ammo is not good to shoot and causes a jam and the mfg has pointed that out to me that its not good to use. I would accept its my fault not the gun.
    Some gun owners may require the gun to shoot 1,000 rounds without a problem or its no good. I don\'t know how to weigh that criteria of extended firing. I have seen a gun have a problem on a hot day after shooting 500 rounds. I think its hard to set functional critera when testing a new gun without talking to the mfg first as to what is expected. Just my thoughts.:P

for me reliabilty means me being able to go to the range and send over 600 rds downrange with no problems from build-up. this is mutually excusve form accuracy requirements. If a pistol can go to any range I frequent and handle that amount of ammo, accuracy can be worked on. Thankfully enough my pistols are very accurate. My P14-45 bought in 95-96) just came back from the smith as she was getting a lil tired. Now she is back and in command. I fired El Dorado Starfires, WW JHP, WW FMJ, S&B JHP, Ranger SXT's, and all ran fine.

~A

Thanks guys for all the input. I just ask because I don't own one and didn't have a clue.

mtrapper, I own 2 customs and no they run better with use like all 1911s, they just never get loose and get more acccurate with proper care.

Ive always wondered about that i prefer my guns to go 500 rounds no jams etcetc ... But i also test the mags 250 per mag ith no jams .

Links