Walther PPS 9mm

Walther PPS 9mm

This is a discussion on Walther PPS 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Walther PPS 9mm has caught my eye recently and I'm looking for any information those of you that own one can give me. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Walther PPS 9mm

Walther PPS 9mm

The Walther PPS 9mm has caught my eye recently and I'm looking for any information those of you that own one can give me. I'm a 14yr LEO veteran and carry 100% when off duty. I support CCW and the 2A and I'm a life member of the NRA. Lately I've been carrying a Kahr CM40 in a PJ IWB holster. I'd like to add a slim 9mm to my rotation and the PPS really looks nice.

Welcome to the forum!

I owned a PPS in .40 for a few months and sold it. I regret that decision everyday! The PPS is a great gun for concealed carry and just about everything else. What would you like to know about the PPS?

Here is a picture of it next to a Glock 27.
    IMG_20130217_124345_429.jpg

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i owned one in .40

overall the pistol is very well made, the trigger is typical of other striker fired guns, feels very much like the ones found in the P99 and PPQ. 40cal was snappy as expected the 9mm may be a bit more tame.

the trigger placement is awkward for me, it`s too low in relation to the grip where the web of the hand sits. a bit uncomfortable to hold shoot for longer then a few minutes and does not point naturally for me.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

EdC
    I carried a PPS 9mm for a few years and sold it. I wanted to move up to a double stack, and replaced it with an M&P 9c. I thought the PPS was very accurate, easy to shoot, extremely concealable and very reliable. Things I didn't like were the mag release, and the backstrap arrangement. Trigger was very grainy feeling. Also, not many options out there for accessories/upgrades, such as night sights.

Potential issue with the PPS is its lack of commonality having to do with the mag release. I am assuming you are probably use to a button mag release on your duty weapon and not a paddle release on the trigger guard.

Another thing I don't like is if the replaceable back strap comes off the gun, then the gun becomes inoperable.

The mags have the potential to pinch the holy hell out of your hand during a quick reload.

Other than that, its a fine weapon.

Look at a M&P Shield also. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Shield is better weapon had both kept shield, CZp01 is much better out of the box better ergonomics dead on out of the box

DBS
    The PPS is a wonderful CC pistol. I just surpassed 1000 rounds with mine with zero failures. It is easy to shoot and is very accurate. Concealment is excellent in any of the holsters I have for it (Remora, Crossbreed, and Hopp custom leather AIWB).

The Shield and XDs are excellent too, but for me it's the PPS.

Welcome! I was darned close to buying one used, until I checked the bore and found it pretty well shot out (turned out it had been a rental and not well cared for).

Are you thinking IWB or pocket carry, mostly?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

7000 rounds through a first edition 9 MM PPS - superb gun. Colt should have come up withthe trigger guard mag release - I love it. I shot IDPA and never had a "pinched" hand from a quick reload. I bought mine before the shield came out. I also own A glock 19. If Ihad to it all over again, I would simply get the M&P 9C

I've been going back and forth between the PPS and the 9mm Shield. Leaning toward the Shield right now as I carry a full size M&P 40 on duty and they are fantastic guns. I was just exploring the PPS option for opinions. I appreciate the input. Anyone from central Ohio know if Vance's has any 9mm M&P Shield's in stock?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Now that Walther has their own US support system! Makes the PPS a great choice. Like all firearm they have their own special concerns. Mine was a finicky eater and only like Speer Gold Dots and Ranger Bonded (not the T-Series). But it is a great little pistol in 9mm!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Robert:
    Here' my solicited advice. I own a PPS I purchased new one year ago. The gun has fired 640 rounds flawlessly...not one hiccup.
    Here s the rub: recently s&w has divested itself of any dealings with Walther. They used to distribute and service the PPS but now it has been taken over by Umerex. People on this & other forums have had nightmares trying to get service on their PPS. Do a search. One person has been waiting 8 weeks for a part and every time he called they told him it will be 2 weeks. Here's a link to the PPS FORUM. : PPS - WaltherForums

That said, the S&W Shield side by side compares extremely well with the PPS in size, weight and shape. I love the Shield and actually think the ergonomics are better than that of the PPS.

I have experienced NO problems with my PPS, but given the poor service, I do NOT recommend it. Good luck and thank you for your law enforcement service.

The PPS 9mm I have has been a fantastic shooter since the day I picked it up. Approaching 1500 rounds without a single failure. I've held the Shield, and the LGS tried to sell me on it, but the PPS felt better. Grip isn't as textured, but I've had no issues shooting it, and I personally have no issues with the "euro-style" ambi mag release.

Pros: Ambi-mag release on trigger guard. Slim design. Very accurate out of the box, easy break down ala-Glock, holds up to nine rounds of 9mm with the extended mag, though I personally carry it with the flush mag as it is more comfortable and carry the larger as spare. Handles +P very well, easy to control. It looks and feels like it has no real grippable surface, but in hand it holds great. That last bit is just from my perspective though, ymmv.

Cons: Ambi-mag release on trigger guard. Spare magazines are not cheap, expect to pay upwards of $40 per mag. Extended 8 round mag can pinch the crap out of your finger if you don't have your third finger clear when slamming a mag home.

Additional: I've had no experience with Umerex, my Walthers, the PPS 9mm and the PPQ .40, have been flawless. I do worry about support a bit though, and so while I won't as vehemently suggest against the PPS based on their current CS reports - it's something worth asking about over in the Walther forums, or at least trawling them a bit.

Edit: A final thought about their CS. They have only just recently finished setting up Walther Arms here in the good ol USA. Customs can be a nightmare, these guns are typically made in Germany before being sent to the U.S. so it is possible that between the company purchase and new factory setup that they are simply running disorganized. It's not an excuse, but something to consider. I never approve of CS reps just giving a "oh its just around the corner" type line, but it might not be the end of the world either.
    Chuck R. likes this.

I’ve owned/carried my PPS for about a year and a half, I also own two PPQ-9s. I’ve put about 3K through the PPS, and close to 6K through my “range” PPQ without issue.
    Since buying the PPS several of my friends have bought them after trying mine. It really is a cool little 9mm. Recoil feels almost the same as its larger brothers, it’s very accurate, and it shoots like a “bigger” pistol than it is. That’s probably the best way I can explain it. I usually carry mine with the 6 shot flush magazine, in an IWB holster.

The mag release does take some getting used to, which is why I bought the 1st PPQ, but I actually prefer it now to a button. To me it’s faster than having to adjust my grip or use my support hand.

Chuck
    AK_Brian likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Love my PPS 9mm and it will be the one handgun I go to my grave with. Shoots very accurate for a compact. Most folks complain about the mag release. What I have come to conclude is that it's a superior mag release compared to others and I can't stand the old fashioned button release anymore. I with other gun makers went with this type of mag release. But I have small hands for a guy and I always have to shift my thumb slightly to hit the standard button mag release.

I have owned my since the first year they came out with 1000's of rounds through it and it's my main CCW still. Everytime I buy another gun to possibly augment or replace the PPS, I end up going right back to the PPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links