What to get for a second gun?

This is a discussion on What to get for a second gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an M&P 9c, and I want to get a second gun. Not a bug, just another gun. Given the scarcity of ammo, what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What to get for a second gun?

I have an M&P 9c, and I want to get a second gun. Not a bug, just another gun. Given the scarcity of ammo, what would you folks recommend? What's easiest to find? 38? 380? 40? Another 9?

The easiest ammo to find in my neck of the woods is .40 and .45. An M&P 40c or 45c would allow you to use the same holsters... that's worth something.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I would suggest another M&P in the caliber of your choice.
    Brad426 likes this.

Nice 642 for pocket carry to the store works well

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Given the scarcity of ammo, what would you folks recommend? What's easiest to find?
    Take a tour of your local ammo sellers and find out what is easy to find. It really varies by area.

That said, a 1911 or Revolver of some kind would be a fine addition to your growing stable. Assuming you're sticking to handguns. If not, 12 gauge pump shotgun or centerfire rifle of your choice. Then again, everyone needs a good .22 for plinking...

Decisions, decisions!
    British by birth. American by choice.

All things being equal, I'd suggest an all-steel 357 magnum revolver (which can also shoot .38) with a 3"-5" barrel. Here at least it's easy to find at least one of those two.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

40 seems to be the easiest to find these days.

I'd get an M&P compact myself. In fact, I did.

For the most part, you really can't go wrong anymore. Smith, Glock, SIG, XDs, all are excellent. Just get what you want.

This is all academic anyway. The second leads to the 3rd, 4th, 5th.......
    Brad426, Spirit4earth and smolck like this.

I'd definitely like to get a 642, 442, or LCR. I'm relatively new to all this....so a 357 does fine with 38s? Would I want to use 357 or 38+p? I'm curious about a 40c, though. Is there an appreciable difference in power between a 9 and a 40?

I'd definitely like to get a 642, 442, or LCR. I'm relatively new to all this....so a 357 does fine with 38s? Would I want to use 357 or 38+p? I'm curious about a 40c, though. Is there an appreciable difference in power between a 9 and a 40?
    You can absolutely fire .38 +P thru a .357. That would be a solid choice...

Don't start a caliber war with .40 and 9MM! The fact is you could put the 40c in the same holsters as your 9c and carry whichever you wanted depending on how available ammo is. I did the same thing with a 45c and 9c (not a .40 fan, but I did consider it when that was all I saw on the shelves for 3 months).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You can absolutely fire .38 +P thru a .357. That would be a solid choice...

Don't start a caliber war with .40 and 9MM! The fact is you could put the 40c in the same holsters as your 9c and carry whichever you wanted depending on how available ammo is. I did the same thing with a 45c and 9c (not a .40 fan, but I did consider it when that was all I saw on the shelves for 3 months).
    Don't worry, no caliber war here! :). I guess what I'm wondering is whether there's enough difference between the 40 and the 9, having (for now) just two guns. A 45 would kick *****, wouldn't it?

I would get a M&P 9. It is the same platform that you are familiar with from your compact.
    Hodad likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have an M&P 9c, and I want to get a second gun. Not a bug, just another gun. Given the scarcity of ammo, what would you folks recommend? What's easiest to find? 38? 380? 40? Another 9?
    That depends! What do you plan to use it for? In my neck of the woods there's tons of .40S&W ammo but really everything is pretty easy to find now except .22lr. Still, scarce ammo or not, if you don't have a .22 that's a glaring, gaping hole in your collection.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Some sort of .357 Mag. You have your carry gun, now you need a home defense / range gun with some horsepower. GP100, SP101, 686,.....
    Take your pick. Those are 3 of the best.

It depends on your budget, I would say a Sig. Either a 226-229

If those are to much then maybe a glock or another M&P
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links