A sad day

This is a discussion on A sad day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently had to sell my Gen3 Glock 30 (and almost 500 rounds of ammo) due to financial concerns. This left me with only my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: A sad day

A sad day

I recently had to sell my Gen3 Glock 30 (and almost 500 rounds of ammo) due to financial concerns. This left me with only my Ruger Blackhawk in .357. I need some input from y'all as to what to put in layaway(once again finances dictate what to do) to replace it. I am looking for something that would be an EDC and home defense. I have always liked the 3rd generation S&W autos. I'm not too picky as far as caliber is concerned(357, 9mm, 40, 45acp, 38) but I would like to stay away from the really big calibers(44mag,45 colt). I had thought about staying in the .38 special .357 family just because of the Blackhawk but I am open to any suggestions. The only guns I am really not a big fan of is the Springfield Xd family but like pretty much all the others.

Thanks again,
    Texspeech

2. Remove Ads

Forgive me for asking, but I thought layaway was a thing of the past, yet I see it mentioned frequently with regards to guns. What is the benefit of put a gun in layaway instead of saving up the money and then buying it (or something else, if you changed your mind in the mean time)?
    atctimmy and StevePVB like this.

357s were my mainstay when I was in my 40s. I carry pocket guns now (380/22) due to age and limitations. YMMV
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I like my Keltec pf9. It was less than $300 and I edc it.
    My Ruger p95 ain't bad either and they go for under $400 I believe.

Nix
    Sorry for your troubles!

The good news is that the Blackhawk is all the gun you are likely to ever need. If you feel the want of a pocket gun, you could try a small frame revolver (J-frame or Ruger LCR). I personally love my G30, and if it were lost for any reason, I'd replace it with a G30. Or two. Maybe a G36 if my pants were too tight. Good luck to ya!
    maxwell97 likes this.

Stay with a name. Lot of folks here will reflexively say Glock. I like my Glocks plenty, but take a look around. What feels good. If you like S&W, take a look at one of the M&P's. I love the feel and way it shoots. You can get good holsters, mount a light for home defense and you're buying a quality investment. Same goes for Glock, Springfield, HK, CZ and a few others. But for versatility, ease of carry and availability of accessories, hard to beat the Glock. I see used and trade-ins in LGS's pretty frequently at a pretty reasonable price. Good hunting.
    40Cal365 likes this.

Some C&R hand guns are a good choice for the money.

The CZ82 in 9x18, 12+1 makes for a good carry for around $200, best trigger I have ever fired as is with out reworking it some.

9X18 is a little more powerful than the 380ACP and less less than the 9mm Luger.

9mm Luger tend to over penetrate while the 380acp tends to be somewhat week, maybe the Russians got it right.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member
    Get a j frame SS revolver and be done....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I paid $399.00 for my Ruger SR40c back in Dec 2012.
    NewtownSam likes this.

Thanks for the concern. Normally it wouldn't be an issue but the bonus we were counting on to go towards our daughter's tuition didn't come through and we had an unexpected(and costly) trip to the vet. I love my Blackhawk and it is one gun I would never sell. I am also more accurate with it than any other pistol I have ever had. It's just a tad(sarcasm here) to carry concealed unless I carried it in a backpack. I have thought about a S&W M60 or an SP101 but the CZ's and their clones are intriguing as well, I just don't know anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but I thought layaway was a thing of the past, yet I see it mentioned frequently with regards to guns. What is the benefit of put a gun in layaway instead of saving up the money and then buying it (or something else, if you changed your mind in the mean time)?
    With guns disappearing as soon as they hit the shelves, layaway lets you buy it now and pay it off gradually. What I do not understand is why he kept the Ruger and sold his carry gun.
    Sap03 likes this.
    The Old Gunhand - all the best gun news in one place.

You can't go wrong with CZ's if you find one you like. The clones are more of a mixed bag, but most of the ones that make it stateside (EAA/Tangfolio, Canik, etc) seem to be good. Just make sure to find one with the action you like - some are meant to be carried cocked-and-locked, some have decockers, and a few can be switched to either.

For carry I prefer my lil' Ruger LCR .357 loaded with .38's. If I had to have only one gun for both home defense and carry, though, I'd probably go with an auto for higher capacity - it seems these home invasions involve more and more bad guys all the time. A CZ P-07 or P-01 would be a great all-around gun. If you like S&W, the SD9VE is a good cheap alternative, around $350 new. Or, you could get an LCR revolver or similar, and for home defense have that plus some speed loaders and your Blackhawk.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

The Ruger was a college graduation present from my parents. And I REALLY like single action revolvers. I once read somewhere about a person who spoke about guns having a soul, meaning that they stirred something deep inside you. They weren't just a junk of metal( or a composite in the case of the Glock) but an extension of your arm. There was just something about certain a gun or guns that touched you. That's how I feel about the Blackhawk. The Glock is great gun but it is just a tool and I never thought about it any other way.
    Sorry about all the philosophical stuff.
    Vuva3rae, mgillitzer, Nix and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    The Ruger was a college graduation present from my parents. And I REALLY like single action revolvers. I once read somewhere about a person who spoke about guns having a soul, meaning that they stirred something deep inside you. They weren't just a junk of metal( or a composite in the case of the Glock) but an extension of your arm. There was just something about certain a gun or guns that touched you. That's how I feel about the Blackhawk. The Glock is great gun but it is just a tool and I never thought about it any other way.
    Sorry about all the philosophical stuff.
    Makes sense to me. Just wondering, how long of a barrel? It's not IMPOSSIBLE you could carry it, maybe...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I hear you on the part of your soul thing. I have a few guns inherited from my father that I would rather part with my "jewels" than those firearms, and half of them are junk. You can't put a price on sentimental value. As far as recommendations I really like the price, feel, and function of my M&P .40c. I picked it up used (but not a scratch on it, just had the crimson trace lasergrips it came with removed for factory grips) at a gunshow for $350.
    SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

"Fear is like having faith in the enemy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links