Thinking of giving Taurus another shot....24/7 Pro G2 Compact

This is a discussion on Thinking of giving Taurus another shot....24/7 Pro G2 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking at a lot of different guns lately. Just really hadn't paid much attention to what all was out there for the last few ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Thinking of giving Taurus another shot....24/7 Pro G2 Compact

Been looking at a lot of different guns lately. Just really hadn't paid much attention to what all was out there for the last few years and I'm really enjoying seeing all the guns that I didn't know about.

Taurus has a less than great reputation, and deservedly so I think. But I have read over the last year that they are starting to do a better job in their quality control and turning out a better, more consistent product. So I was looking through their website tonight just looking at their different models and I see this one, the 24/7 Pro G2 compact. Have to say, I like the way it looks. Appears to be ergonomic. Would like to actually hold one.

I have 3 Taurus handguns. One is a 25 year old PT99 which has never had any malfunction at all. A 6 inch .357 which has been a great gun as well and a PT111 Millennium, the original design of the Millennium, not the version that they put out now. This version actually has a pretty bad reputation but mine has around 4,000 rounds through it and has also never had any type of malfunction.

I may have been three times lucky with my Taurus guns, who knows. But I am interested in the 24/7 Pro G2 compact. I travel for my job, both fairly locally (within 2 hours of home) and long distance. The long distance travel involves flying out West, mostly to Las Vegas NV, for training that lasts a couple to several weeks at a time. I'd be interested in obtaining a handgun I could trust but one that also wouldn't break the bank if it happened to be stolen by some baggage handler while in transit. Considering I can get one of these 24/7's for about $350 right now from a local outlet, if it is any good it might just be what I am looking for.

Anyone have one of these 24/7 Pro's? Any reviews?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've never personally handled one but it's one of the few auto's I've heard more good things than bad about. All I can comment on is their wheel guns and every one I've had has been fantastic.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have had four Taurus firearms. I still own two: a 2" Stainless snubby 357 (which is my everyday carry); and a Judge Public Defender Poly. Both of these guns have been back to Taurus for repairs. I owned a Taurus PT845 revolver for about a year but sold it because the magazines would never fall out without pulling on them. I also owned the venerable PT92 stainless. It was a beautiful gun and functioned flawlessly. But it was just not accurate. Sold it this year. I replaced the PT845 with a Glock 30, which is superior in every way. I replaced the P92 with a CZ P07 Duty, which is the best shooting firearm I own.

So, will I ever purchase another Taurus . . . not in the foreseeable future. But, to each his own.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    From what I have seen/read the difference between the 24/7 and 24/7 G2 is mainly in the mechanism to break the gun down. The original broke down with a Browning type slide release that was very difficult to remove due to their not being a protrusion on the off side to push out. The G2 has tabs more like a Glock. I have quite a bit of time on an original 24/7 in .45 that a buddy purchased; complete jam-o-matic. I have written about it here before when queried about Taurus guns.

On this example, when the slide retracts to eject a round the barrel cams back so far that the feed ramp on the barrel extends back over the feed ramp on the frame, the next bullet feeding from the magazine moves forward with the slide up under the barrel ramp and jams up the gun about 30% + of the time. That isn't counting type 3 malfunctions that happen all too often. Taurus may be improving, I don't see it but, I would not take the chance. That lifetime warranty does nothing for you if your gun is gone for months and months at a time over and over. Just not worth the risk in my opinion when you can pick up a used, but good quality LEO trade in Glock or 3rd Gen. Smith for the same price that will work as expected.

get the shield !
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    get the shield !
    I've looked. I can't find a darn Shield to save my life!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have a 24/7 G2 Compact (in .40), and in my first 500 rounds or so, I've had exactly one jam, and I can be pretty confident in calling it a fluke because I happened to have that shot recorded. The shell bounced off the side of my shooting lane divider, and back into the open slide. I got my memory cards mixed up, and accidentally formatted it before I pulled it onto my computer, of I'd have had a heck of a YouTube video.

Other than that, it has performed marvelously.

As a brief and now former owner of a 24/7G2 Compact, trust me...don't. I could write for pages and pages as to why, but trust me, don't. For the $450 or so you can buy many better quality guns. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, which you will need to use at least once. They also have quite possibly the worst customer service of any business I have ever encountered. If you can get a live person in under 30 minutes and they actually speak English fluently you have won big time. If you like dealing with someone with the attitude and diction of Rachel Jeanteal then you're in luck...

VIP Member
    If it runs good for you Mike, then there is no problem. If you have an issue with it, then you have major problems. To say Taurus CS sucks is a compliment to them. I had a 709 that I had to send back twice. Both times it came back with the same problem. The paperwork that came back with it stated the problem and their "repair" department just marked it "fixed". After getting it back the second time with the same problem, I dumped it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    My first handgun was a 24/7 Pro Compact. I really liked it and ultimately regretted selling it.

That being said, I would probably never buy another Taurus. Their reputation is just terrible but worse is their customer service. If something does go wrong it's going to be a nightmare getting them to correct it.

Life is too short to buy mediocre handguns. The cheapest I will go is the Bersa Thunder .380 that I just picked up yesterday. It will likely be a trunk gun because it was so inexpensive.

We have all have temporary moments of insanity, then we wake up and regain our normal train of thought.

I'm not gonna bash Taurus, because they make a better pistol than I do for sure. I will say however, they are a good bit farther down on the craftsman/quality scale then I care to carry for defensive purposes. My overall feeling for the brand is simply, durability. I've had a few Taurus pistols in my day, and none have really failed me so I can't really definitively say they lack the quality to perform. But, outta the ones I have had, my concerns were based on the build quality and what appeared to be cheap materials used. I came to the conclusion that, if they failed on what was visible, what lies beneath the exterior surly is based upon the same quality and attention to detail.

If you feel like testing the waters, best of luck to you, and here's to hoping you get a good one.

For me, I'll pass on the Hyundai of the pistol world. Maybe if they'd picked six or so pistols and focused on the quality and durability of those six, then expand the lineup to others; instead of flooding the market with variations of low budget firearms with questionable build quality, they might stand a chance to sway the opinions of buyers in a good direction. I said I wasn't going to bash Taurus and to me, I've simply added some healthy criticisms. If my statements have offended anyone, apologies in advance.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

Well, I have to say, 12 replies and really no one said "Heck yeah, great gun. I'd buy it if I were you."

That says alot to me. The gun looks good. Looks like it would feel great in the hand but if it has this bad a reputation, then I'll pass I think.

It really is a shame that Taurus has such crappy customer service. They really do have some innovative ideas and designs.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have a 24/7 g2 compact and have had no problems with the handgun. It is accurate and has excellent ergonomics. I own several Sigs, H&Ks, and a few Kahrs and like them all. The Taurus handguns that I have (TCP 738, 709 Slim and 24/7 g2) have all fit in with these high quality handguns nicely. This has been my experience with Taurus handguns. Hope this has been helpful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links