Model 3913 vs PX4 Storm

This is a discussion on Model 3913 vs PX4 Storm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been saving my pennies and I was looking for a new carry gun. Tired of lugging around my 37.5 oz GP100. So I did ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ejes

Thread: Model 3913 vs PX4 Storm

Model 3913 vs PX4 Storm

I've been saving my pennies and I was looking for a new carry gun. Tired of lugging around my 37.5 oz GP100.
    So I did my research and the PX4 compact catches my eye. A couple weeks go by and I'm looking into trading in the womans LC9. And getting her something with a better trigger cause the LC9 is awful. We are watching reruns of the Walking Dead. And a character on there is carrying a model 3913 Lady Smith. I suggest that and she says she'll think about it. So I do the research for her. And realize not only are they hard to get, but once you get one. Its a little too nice and rare to throw around and carry. So I look at the 3913 NL and I fall in love with it. And I haven't heard one bad thing about it. So my question is which one do I get. Is it worth buying the used S&W over the new Storm?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I have a full size 9mm PX4 Storm (paid $499) and the rotating barrel makes it a very soft shooter. My wife likes to shoot it too and has no problem with +p+ rounds. If she can stand the width of a double stack magazine, the PX4 Compact is recommended.

I have the PX4 subcompact in .40 and it's a great shooter.

Also, I see Lady Smith's almost everywhere I go, this is the first I've heard of them being rare.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I can't compare the 2 models as I don't know have any experience with the 3913. Also it seems kind of a apples and oranges comparison. I can say this, the PX4 compact is a great pistol! Easy shooter, 15+1 rounds.

I have a 4013, the 3913's big-mouth brother, it is very easy to conceal being a single stack. Don't fall for the tactical model though, the rail is the only difference and just makes it wide were it should be thin.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

Don't have the compact model but I do have the full size PX4 and S&W3913. The PX is in 40 and as stated above the rotating barrel seems to makes it easier to control with follow up shots. 3913 is a sweet little gun. hides well, and shoots straight. If you want the bigger capacity but a bit harder to conceal go with the Beretta. If you want something easy to carry that the Smith. Or better yet get them both

I had a PX4 subcompact in 9mm, and traded it in on an AR. I did love the pistol, but if she's looking at it for carry, I ended up carrying my Glock 23 because it's is basically the same size. Also the subcompact doesn't have the rotating barrel, which of course gives it a bit more felt recoil.

I miss that little pistola... Just not sure if it's something a woman would feel comfortable carrying based on the size.

I'd choose, and carry, the 3913 over the PX4 any day of the week. Probably one of the best semi-auto firearms S&W ever made; and that's a bold statement given the M&P series to date.

You may have already seen this since you said you already did some research, but here is a nice write up on it: http://www.thegunzone.com/3913nl.html
    shoottolive likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I have the PX4 subcompact in .40 and it's a great shooter.

Also, I see Lady Smith's almost everywhere I go, this is the first I've heard of them being rare.
    Pretty sure they stopped making them like 5 years ago. Only saw 3 on gunbroker and haven't seen any at gun shops. Now just 3913 ya. But lady smith are harder to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    I have a 4013, the 3913's big-mouth brother, it is very easy to conceal being a single stack. Don't fall for the tactical model though, the rail is the only difference and just makes it wide were it should be thin.
    Ya I wasn't planning on getting a tactical version

thanks for all the advice guys keep it coming I still gotta another week or two before I pick one of them up

I've had a 3913 for 10+ years. Compact, accurate and reliable hard to beat

Well right now I think I've decided to get the 3913NL. The reason being even though its used, I want to get my hands on one while I can. And its also a trial gun for the women. If she likes it i can have my cake and eat it to. Ill let her buy it off me and turn around and buy the PX4 storm in Compact 9mm. And still be able to shoot it whenever I want its a win/win.

Links