Questions about xd

This is a discussion on Questions about xd within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decidedto buy xd in 9mm and although this gun is made in my country there is no availble informationor even a cataloge about it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about xd

Question Questions about xd

I decidedto buy xd in 9mm and although this gun is made in my country there is no availble informationor even a cataloge about it. I was wondering if anyone can answer some of these questiones or add anything about this gun that i should pay atention

1. how many rounds can it fire if properly mainteined
    2. what are his weak points
    3. are there any problems with dissasemblying/assemblying
    4. how ressistant is he if droped on the hard surface

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Maybe check out the XDtalk forum.? They seem well built, however the finish was the weak point. Blued guns seemed to rust easily.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Greeting's Sir, And Welcome Aboard

Your country's XD is catching on like wildfire here in the U.S.; with
    the Christmas rush coming, I'm sure we will sell out in a flash.

I have the .45ACP XD, and each magazine will hold 13
    rounds of firepower. However, I learned from others that you
    need to download each magazine but one round; to keep the
    tension on the springs from getting out of kilter. I have a total
    of four magazines for the XD .45ACP; as its the only one that
    I currently own. I must say, that its the "all black" 4" service
    model as well. Its very easy to field strip for cleaning; even
    more so than my much beloved West German SIG-SAUER
    P220A in .45 caliber. I cannot see a "downside" to owning
    any of these pistols; but there are some plus'es that are
    causing sales too boom.

a) the loaded chamber indicator is on the top of the firearm,
    where is should be; cuz it can be seen or felt, even in the'
    darkess of hours. Glocks have a side loaded chanber indicator.

b) cocking indicator- a tiny pin protrudes thru the rear of the
    slide, to let the operator know that the weapon is "HOT" and
    will fire, as a round rest directly under the firing pin. Glocks
    don't have this feature.

c) ambi-magazine release, so it doesn't matter whether or not
    you are a righty or a lefty. Glocks only have a left side release.

d) steel sights- you ain't gonna know these babies off~! Too
    many times, I've seen Glocks plastic sights break at a crucial
    time.

e) my favorite- the Springer XD has an all steel captive guide rod;
    while Glock likes too use polymer.

f) the XD's have drop free magazines, they drop free "EVERY TIME",
    while some of Glocks polymer magazines fail too do so.

g) pick up a XD the next time you are at a gun counter, and look
    particulary at the muzzle. Its designed so that if you accidentally
    drop it, it is not going to land on "the crown" of the muzzle. This
    is where firearms get their final accuracy, as the bullet leaves the
    barrel.

h) last but not least, Glock DOES NOT GIVE a holster, a double
    magazine pouch, or a magazine loader with the purchase of a
    new GLOCK; but Springfield Armory DOES. So, in essence you
    get $70 worth of accessory's free~!

BTW, Here is MY Springfield Armory XD-.45 ACP with a Streamlight
    TLR-1 flashlight attached. Enjoy~!
    Attached Images

Finish is a weak point. It's not terrible but does mark up somewhat easy. triggers on some models I have fired seem to have a rough spot. You can feel kinda like a clicking at a certain point half way through the pull of the trigger. Others don't. I don't know what causes this, I am not a gunsmith. I tried a friends at the range before I bought mine, his had the pull I am describing. He didn't notice it as he does not shoot alot. I checked mine before buying, no problem. Another friend purchased after me and his did it.

Finish on the XD- .45 ACP's was changed to the Melonite process; from what I understand, its very much like Glock's
    Tennifer process. Introduced on only the XD .45 ACP's,
    its suppose to be put on all new XD-9's and XD-40's; regardless
    of frame size. That is the word from Springfield's Customer
    Relations department?

Quote Originally Posted by kcarragher View Post
    Finish is a weak point. It's not terrible but does mark up somewhat easy. triggers on some models I have fired seem to have a rough spot. You can feel kinda like a clicking at a certain point half way through the pull of the trigger. Others don't. I don't know what causes this, I am not a gunsmith. I tried a friends at the range before I bought mine, his had the pull I am describing. He didn't notice it as he does not shoot alot. I checked mine before buying, no problem. Another friend purchased after me and his did it.
    I've had an XD 40 for going on 3 years now and it still looks like brand new. Any gun will last forever if you take care of it.

I checked the trigger on mine after I read this post, and mine doesn't do it. What would be the disadvantage of that you think? Would it be enough to affect accuracy, especially if your friend didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by andrlje View Post
    I decidedto buy xd in 9mm and although this gun is made in my country there is no availble informationor even a cataloge about it. I was wondering if anyone can answer some of these questiones or add anything about this gun that i should pay atention

First, thanks to your country for producing such a fine handgun. You can read a thorough review of the product at this link:

http://springfield-armory.primediaou...SPstory11.html

good luck

whw

I did not notice at the time that it effected the accuracy, but I did notice that it distracted my concentration when shooting. It was that noticeable. It's been about two years since I bought mine, but before I did I posted this same question on an xd forum. It has since shut down, so I can not go back to re read the responses. I did receive responses to the question I posted but do not remember the specific reason for what I was describing. I know it didn't sound like a big deal, but it was something that other people were aware of as well. Maybe a smith on this forum can give you more info. I still would buy another and think they are a very reliable weapon. You would not need to recheck yours. If it did it, you would know right away what I was talking about. You wouldn't have to look for it. My friend had just bought his first pistol, so he had no idea what a good or bad pull would feel like. As for the finish, I do take good care of all my weapons, but holster wear does show on it. I personally think it adds personality to the pistol, but if a new buyer is asking, I would consider it a weakness. Maybe the finish has been refined in the last couple of years, I don't know. good luck with your new purchase, it was a good choice.

I have a sub compact 9mm and I love it! I would buy another if I had to. It is a little thick to carry for me(I am a big guy), but I have a new IWB holster on the way and it should help a ton!

I did have it laying on my nightstand for quite some time in a cheap neoprene-type of holster and i had a visible sign of light rust on the exposed part of the rail. Upset me a bit, but it only told me that I need to keep in on me more and clean it more.

My wife loves it also! She wants me to "give" it to her so she can call it her own.

I read that review at the link posted above and I now love XD's even more!

Good luck on your decision!
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

Had my XD 40 service for almost 3 years. Fits my hand well. 10 round magazine but 12 round mags available.

No finish problems. However there have been a few other problems that were corrected by Springfield. The cocked striker indicator broke but is easily replaced. The locking block had to micro cracks but Springfield has changed the design so I do not believe this to be a problem if you buy from Springfield. Best to use snap caps when dry firing. This saves wear and tear on the roll pin. The roll pin is what limits the strikers forward travel and thus absorbs all the strikers energy when dry firing.

My only complaint is some FTF on some hollow point ammo even after having feed ramp and barrel polished.

Also suggest you look at the XD Talk Forum where you will find a lot of info..

http://www.xdtalk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by andrlje View Post

I have over 5000 rounds through my X-D 40, no problems

have not found any

none. my 15 yr old son cleans mine after we shoot

dropped my slide from about 4 ft off the ground no problem..

bottom line is I love my X-D.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I have an XD 9 service model and love it. The finish was a weak point but in '06 the finish was changed to Melonite which i believe is the finish Smith and Wesson uses on the M&p pistol. Bottom line it is a great pistol. I have shot about 1100 rounds through mine and had only one FTE and it was when my wife limpwristed it. They are quite thick which is a turn off for some,either way you bought an awsome pistol. Shoot safe and often
    From what same clay are both heros and tyrants made.

A couple of things that were not mentioned.

1. There have been a few occasions where the guide rod/spring assembly have broken in the service models. The tactical models already come with a solid guide rod, and the subcompact assemblies are very beefy so breakage is not an issue. I replaced mine with a solid guide rod and 22# spring. At $25 that's cheap insurance.

2. Right now parts are difficult to get. Most breakages are springs which will fatigue and break in any gun given enough usage.

3. In serious cases of rust, Springfield Armory refinishes the gun for free if they determine the cause is not negligence. I carried a subcompact in a bellyband for 3 days on a camping trip and the whole side of the slide, the takedown lever and the slide release were covered with rust. They disassembled the pistol and refinished every metal part, free of charge, and also reimbursed me for the shipping.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Where it's made

The parts are made in Croatia, HOWEVER, The final assembly and fit is done in ***AMERICA***. I own both a service 45 ACP and a tactical 9 and love them both. Over the years I have owned 5 Glocks. The only one I regret selling was a G-17L.
    Springfield XD,

Imitation is the purist form of flattery buy the original "GLOCK"you all are talking about rust, i have 2 GLOCK'S I've had my G27 for about 7 years I live in AZ and sweat alot and there is no sign of rust. The only maint. i have done except for cleaning i change out the mag spring about once a year. I have recently bought a G35 and don't expect any problems.
    Look both guns (XD, GLOCK) are great it all comes down to personal preference. I think that everyone knows my choice!!!!
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links