do i really need a 45???

do i really need a 45???

This is a discussion on do i really need a 45??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; #####handguns caliber only###### i don't want to start any caliber wars but i am almost deciding to keep my kimber solo cdp in lieu of ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: do i really need a 45???

do i really need a 45???

#####handguns caliber only######

i don't want to start any caliber wars but i am almost deciding to keep my kimber solo cdp in lieu of XDs 45.

i have a glock 19. and the fact that i don't have another caliber is starting to bother me. you know, keeping all eggs in one basket kind of thing. as i get older, and light of events, i tend to think that anything is possible i regards to shortages, wars and prohibitions. some countries restrict what kind of ammo civilians can use, the so called "military caliber". do i see that happening in the US?? no. do i think is very possible??? HELL yeah. New Jersey is banning 50 cal bullets. i don't know if that is 50 bmg only or all others. the anti gunners and the "people of the UN" if you know what i mean, will erode our and everybody else's gun rights in ANY WAY THEY CAN. caliber, number of bullets, types of guns, powder, energy of the round, etc etc etc.

getting back on track. it is kind of bothering me having only lugers. i am not a big fan of the 40SW ( sorry 40 fans). i was at a self defense class yesterday and the guy at the store said he couldn't pay what my kimber was really worth because it was too much money. i was going to "trade in" on a XDs 45.

i shoot better a 9 than anything else. but i would train with a 45 to get better, come on, it is a 45. it was designed by God himself.

what do you guys think??? am i worrying for nothing??? should i get a different caliber?? or even a revolver caliber??? did i confuse you enough???

sorry for the title i need to grab as much attention as i can so i can get many responses.

Purchasing a new gun in a new caliber is fine. Doing so because you fear 9mm will be banned, unavailable, etc. is going overboard.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is my honest answer.
    Rhcmlc, andrewcdub and afojc like this.

Get whatever you want and sell whatever you want.

I have an assortment of calibers just because that is how it worked out, not because I HAVE to have this or I HAVE to have that.
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    Agree with Sioux565. If you want a .45, go get 'er. But basing it on future, unknown restrictions...well, you might as well go to a palm reader.
    sioux565, Rhcmlc and Eric357 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Purchasing a new gun in a new caliber is fine. Doing so because you fear 9mm will be banned, unavailable, etc. is going overboard.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is my honest answer.
    like i said, we all think it is not "possible" until it happens. until someone does something or some politician brings up on legislation and it actually passes. we ALL thought it wouldn't happen
    StormRhydr likes this.

Tough decision I can tell you a year ago I decided to cut down on my number of different calibers an went with nines an snubs that shoot 357 or 38 (dont count my mk111 never get rid of it) luckily i had a stockpile of nines an .38 because you could not find any around here for awhile now I was out of supplies to reload. I will never let that happen again. Sometimes it might be better to have lots of calibers to take advantage of what you can find.

Stay with what you have. Any perceived benefit is just that perceived. With modern HP ammo the 9mm is fine.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Tough decision I can tell you a year ago I decided to cut down on my number of different calibers an went with nines an snubs that shoot 357 or 38 (dont count my mk111 never get rid of it) luckily i had a stockpile of nines an .38 because you could not find any around here for awhile now I was out of supplies to reload. I will never let that happen again. Sometimes it might be better to have lots of calibers to take advantage of what you can find.
    that is the frame of mind i am in right now. sorta

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Stay with what you have. Any perceived benefit is just that perceived. With modern HP ammo the 9mm is fine.
    not really talking about firepower or "stopping" power. i am more referring to plain availability and restrictions when it comes to laws and politics.

You're asking the wrong question; the only one that matters is "do I want one?" Additionally, diversity is good - last time around 40 was all you could find, this time the most available that I've come across is 45.
    Brad426 and Eric357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    You're asking the wrong question; the only one that matters is "do I want one?" Additionally, diversity is good - last time around 40 was all you could find, this time the most available that I've come across is 45.
    I was going to say this almost word for word.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Buy what you want and not what's on the current "hot" list. My motto from Zell Miller: "I certainly have plenty of weapons, but not nearly as many as I want."

GeorgiaCarry
    Christopher67 likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    yup get what you want.

VIP Member
    Consider a .45 long Colt. That is the only caliber the local Wal Mart has consistently had in stock for the past several months.
    tdave likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by elphius View Post
    do i really need a 45???

i am almost deciding to keep my kimber solo cdp in lieu of XDs 45. shortages, wars and prohibitions. banning caliber, number of bullets, types of guns, powder, energy of the round ... i shoot better a 9 than anything else.

what do you guys think?
    I, too, almost invariably shoot hot 9mm cartridges far better than any other caliber. For whatever reason, the size/balance of guns I've acquired when used in the 9mm cartridge end up being more accurate, and more repeatably accurate, than any other caliber I have tried. And in many cases, I have tried multiple calibers of the same basic model handgun. Can't explain it, but it's a real outcome. And so, I focus on 9mm as my predominant cartridge as well. Worldwide, it's got huge availability, lots of models of pistols are made for it, it's well within the capabilities of most people, and it's reasonably priced.

Nothing wrong with standardizing on one or two key cartridges, for all of those reasons. Not for everyone, but many do so.

If indeed you're most accurate with the 9mm and those other factors are weighing on you, then by all means standardize. If not, not. You can always change, for any reasons.
    Christopher67 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links