Dedicated truck/car gun...

This is a discussion on Dedicated truck/car gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your budget is $300 plus tax... Gun would serve as a dedicated truck/car gun. Would be shot to verify function/reliability/accuracy. Then loaded up with new ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Dedicated truck/car gun...

Dedicated truck/car gun...

Your budget is $300 plus tax...

Gun would serve as a dedicated truck/car gun. Would be shot to verify function/reliability/accuracy. Then loaded up with new factory ammo and would ride in a glovebox most likely in a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB soft holster. Would serve as an always there gun, carried little if ever.

Probably take her to the range once a year, change out carry ammo...

What would you buy?

I'm leaning towards a used Charter Arms .38 snubbie...

2. Remove Ads

I would never leave a gun in a vehicle. Whenin the rare intance I have to have nano vault under seat. To easy to steal in glove box

Bad idea, at least thats my opinion
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

First off, I'd buy something used. Preferably in stainless, or a plastic gun like a Glock so that minimal parts could rust if the gun gets little attention. Reliability is paramount.

I'd look for a used S&W Sigma. They never really caught on and were overtaken by the M&P series in popularity. Your budget is a little light, but with some sharp-eyed shopping you shouldn't have to go much over your price point.

The Charter snubs are pretty rugged these days, but I think you'd be challenged to find a decent used one in your price range. You might look at Taurus or Rossi revolvers, although their quality is highly variable over the past few years (I've got two Tarus snubs which are rugged shooters, but that experience isn't universal).

Separately - I won't jump to the conclusion that others have that you are going to leave the gun in the vehicle all the time, but that is generally a bad idea from the standpoint of theft or unauthorized access.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a Smith & Wesson SD9VE for that exact purpose. It's very close to the Sigma mentioned above. Got it at Academy Sports brand new for $299 plust tax. It's polymer with a stainless slide. 16+1 capacity. Extremely reliable although not extremely accurate but it is acceptable. Perfect truck gun.

I'd say an S&W Model 10 38 SPL Police Trade In for $279. But I can't find them on their site today.

I bought a very beat up Ruger Police Service Six LEO trade in for the purposes of a car gun. Just get a good car safe to go with it and don't just leave it in the glove box.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I'm not a fan of leaving a gun in a car/truck unsecured, especially in the glove box or center console. Too tempting a target for thieves. A small lockable safe like the nano vault will secure it from a snatch and go.
    HAGJewels and GhostMaker like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would look at a Charter Bulldog 44sp.

Powerful effective simple and not that expensive.

Another option is a C&R surplus firearm, say a CZ82 9x18 12+1 and a great trigger a very effective storage arm for under $240 or so.

Good look on your hunt!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

A well-used Glock of your choice would be my recommendation. Put it through a break-in test and then deploy it. However, as others have said, I wouldn't leave it in a vehicle 24x7 without it being secured in some way (more so than in a glove box.)

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'd say an S&W Model 10 38 SPL Police Trade In for $279.
    Forgot about the trusty model 10...

rammerjammer likes this.

I brought this up once before and the almost universal response was that it is a bad idea. However, if you do decide to dedicate a gun for car use and it is a handgun, I'd say go with as big as you can reasonably store/access. Personally, I'd say .45, 10mm, 357 Sig. A full size Glock or M&P with an extended magazine would be an excellent choice. OTOH, if you have the resources and dedication, an SBR would be perfect...not many problems can't be solved by 30 rounds of 5.56.

Here's what I did.
    I needed a truck gun too. For many reasons, including visiting two of my brother-in-laws who were both in the hospital with cancer.
    Unfortunately, both have passed since then.
    At first, I was looking at the then (2010), $179 police trade in revolvers on line. Almost pulled the trigger (pun intended), but didn't.
    Instead, I went with a new S&W Sigma in 40 S&W for $280. The hospitals were in pretty nasty parts of town, and driving there, I wanted my pistol for at least the drive down. Well, you can't take them into hospitals here and I didn't want some goon to steal my pistol and worse yet, use it to hurt or kill someone. So I came up with a "best of both worlds" solution. Whenever I get to a "pistol free" zone, I drop the mag, empty the chamber, remove the slide and barrel and take it all with me, minus the frame. All parts are bagged up and carried in. No firearm on me! Petty crooks are usually not the brightest bulb on the tree, but it would be an even less-smart crook that would take a pistol frame without all of the other parts.
    And even if they did steal the frame, which I truly believe would do them no good, I could buy another Sigma in 9mm and have two guns in one with all of the interchangeable parts.
    I say get a used Sigma or SD series S&W. They can be had for a very reasonable price and seem to be everywhere. A local pawn shop by me sells at least one and sometimes two, every few weeks. Most are like new, and almost all sell in the $225-$250 range.
    LouisianaMan, 1959 and Dnbailey like this.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a workable solution.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Where I grew up a truck gun was always a long gun. Usually a .22 semi auto of sorts. This could be stored by the seat while driving , or behind the seat when not in the truck. Again, theft was not an issue as most people knew if that someone left a gun in the truck, the owner had more guns inside to shoot at you when his dogs woke him up.

I'm personally not a fan of the idea. Anytime I HAVE to leave my sidearm in the truck, I lock it in a box beneath the seat, not the most secure but I don't generally leave it for more than an hour and a half.

That said, if I were going to do it, I'd probably go with something stupidly inexpensive like a HiPoint .45. They're ugly bricks of a gun and heavy as a cinderblock, but they're stupidly accurate and completely reliable in my experience.
    rockratt likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links