Sell Me a Pocket Pistol

Sell Me a Pocket Pistol

This is a discussion on Sell Me a Pocket Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in TX, it's summer and drops to about 80 at night on the best of days. I spend 10 or so hours of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sell Me a Pocket Pistol

Sell Me a Pocket Pistol

I live in TX, it's summer and drops to about 80 at night on the best of days. I spend 10 or so hours of daylight sitting in my office in jeans and a polo shirt with my Glock in my desk drawer (we're a small business and I'm a partner so I can do that and not get fired), then put it in the MIC holster at 4:00 in my waist (with sturdy 5.11 belt on always) then go home and change usually into shorts and a T shirt. On my own time, I'm very casual and lately I have come to think that a pocket sized gun would be more practical at times. For instance, I like to go to the pool and obviously I have no belt on then. I take the lady friend out, go running outside (I have a belly band) etc., the Glock isn't terrible to carry but I do notice it often. What suggestions can you provide for smaller weapons that would be useful for these times? Right now, I'm thinking LCP, possibly TCP 738, maybe revolver (doubtful). I'm not getting a Sig 938, too heavy and I don't like the design (I'm not a 1911 fan for CC, seems like a bad idea with all the protrusions).

Am I going about this the right way and what do you think would be the best choice and value for me?

I have to agree with you. What I carry most often is a pocket pistol. And I feel guilty about it.

I dont think pocket pistols are the pistol of choice for self defense, but do think they are better than nothing. I have Glock 19s, as well as other pistols, but its the pocket pistols that I carry, most often, for a variety of reasons.

Btw, I own an LCP, and like it. Its shot flawlessly, and feels good & solid (compared to some others), in the hand. I also have some snubbies. Id go with the LCP over the snubbies, but mainly due to the size. Though, I do like to carry a J frame as well.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

I'd say revolver. I just don't trust tiny autos, or .380, or my ability to shoot .380 in a tiny auto with accuracy. Aluminum Airweight J-frames have been around for over 60 years; there's got to be a reason. Personally I most often pocket-carry a Ruger LCR in .357 (loaded with .38).

If you decide to go with a .380, take a look at the Micro Desert Eagle. It's even smaller than an LCP, but about half again as heavy (which is good, IMHO, as helping with recoil), and also functions double-action only.

In 9mm, the only real "pocket gun" i know of that has good reviews is the 938, but there may be others I'm unaware of. Slightly bigger guns like the LC9 could be pocket-sized for you, perhaps.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Most of the year I carry a P229 IWB. But summer is here so I switch to the LCP in a pocket. My son does the same thing. When it comes to concealed the LCP is the best at it. It is not so heavy to make light pants droop and is suffient for personal protection. It is not a fun gun to shoot but will get the job done. We have put thousands of rounds thru them( even tho it is not fun to shoot we still practice with them) and never had a problem. The LCP is a great little gun that serves it's purpose well.

VIP Member
    I used to preach the P3AT/LCP but somewhere I quit trusting 380 to do the job. Then I became a fan of the KelTec PF9 and of course companies came out of the woodwork to imitate that just like they did little brother P3AT. They are great options. very flat and light, shoot a reliable self defense round, and unless you get a lemon they're reliable. The problem is that, for me, accuracy beyond 15 yards or so starts to drop sharply. The sights just don't cut the mustard for greater distances when the gun is in my hands.

Now I can quote you all sorts of statistics that show that the chances of an armed citizen getting into a gun fight at rangers greater than 15 yards is very unlikely. It is true that most of the time the shooting happens at bad breath distances. However I can show you many studies that show you're very unlikely to ever need a gun in the first place. If it comes time to shoot the odds are already against you, so I'm not going to rely on the odds being in my favor as to distance. For that reason I turned to the S&W 642 that was sitting in the safe. I can't explain it, because it isn't as if the little j-frame has target sights on it, but I can group well at 25 yards and feel confident I could engage out to 50 yards hitting more than not. Should that one in a million gun fight that I found myself in happen to be some sort of active shooter situation where some distance exists between the BG and myself I trust that I can do the job with the revolver.

Your circumstance may or may not be the same. You may shoot the little pistols as well as or better than you do a revolver. (Growing up shooting revolvers is a part of my circumstance I'm sure.) You may be willing to go with the odds that you won't need a pocket pistol at greater ranges. You have to decide for yourself- but if I drop a gun in my pocket it is a wheel gun. (Unless it is a baby Glock but you have to have some serious pockets to pull that off and not show the world what you have in the pocket.)
    maxwell97 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The Makarov is a nice little auto that sits pretty flat in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    The Makarov is a nice little auto that sits pretty flat in the pocket.
    I love Maks, but I have no idea how anyone could pocket carry one. They aren't exactly small, or light for that matter. Then again, I wouldn't be able to pocket a Shield or XDs either and it seems like plenty can.

MJB_17, you said to sell you a pocket pistol so here goes. (I'll "sell" you what I've owned/carried)

The Ruger LCP is the easiest pistol to carry that I've ever owned, period. If you are concerned about size, weight, and concealability, the LCP is what you need. They are simply too easy to carry to walk around unarmed. Keltec and Taurus have their versions, but I personally do not have experience with either.

There are countless debates about whether or not a 380 is sufficient, but I am convinced that a 380 in my pocket is better than my (insert larger caliber here) that is not with me when/if I encounter someone with bad intentions.

If you prefer more firepower, the Kimber Solo is another option that hasn't been mentioned. The first batch that Kimber sent out seemed to have some issues. I have a newer one that's had zero malfunctions after hundreds of rounds down range. I will also add that several of those rounds were not the brands/weights that Kimber recommends for the pistol, and several people (male and female) have shot mine. 7 rounds of 9mm +P is a fair amount of firepower in your pocket; you can carry 9 rounds with the extended mag.

Lastly, you mentioned a revolver as a "doubtful" option but you didn't mention why. Since I don't know your objection(s) to a wheelgun, I encourage you to reevaluate that option. As maxwell97 mentioned, S&W Airweights have been around for 60+ years for a reason. Due to their light weight they are very "unnoticeable" to the carrier, even if you are new to pocket carry. They are as reliable as taxes, and 5 rounds of 38 +P is a great deterrent. If you want to carry more ammo, speedstrips disappear in your pocket.

As I mentioned, I have owned everything I have suggested and my S&W 442 is usually what's in my pocket.

In the end, the best choice and value FOR YOU will have to be decided by YOU. There are lots of great suggestions here to guide you.

Good luck, and make sure you post pictures and a range report after you make your decision.
    maxwell97 and Pro like this.

I use a 642 for what you are describing. image.jpg
    GhostMaker and druryj like this.

+1 for a J frame revolver or LCR. Easy to carry and in my experience more reliable.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I pocket a kahr cm9 and if you can pocket a snubby you can pocket a cm9. Buy a good pocket holster and all is well. We also have a couple Taurus TCP 380
    s in the family. I broke both in with 400 rounds of mixed HP and fmj and both are dependable and with a slide hold open after last round and a trigger pull that breaks n under 4lbs you will not find a better micro 380. Like many pistols when new they had issues just like ruger and kt and all the others but the later C series and newest D series they tend to run very well from round one. Prices are also lower with the basic oxid black model at 200dollars up to the black ss at 270 with 2 mags and a belt bag.

Not many really bad small pistols any more . Bad ammo and shooters more times than not. try a few out in the pockets of what you wear and see what you think .

I pocket carry a Springfield XDS-45 and a spare magazine.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I am like you in my dress and off time. I found my Shield to fill the role nicely. I can drop it into my cargo shorts pocket if I have to, but even in my IWB holster, it is rarely noticed. I could carry it in a belly band too and with the manual safety, feel comfortable doing it. And since the 9mm version carries 8 rounds with the flush mag, you will be better protected than with mouse guns.

Just my $.02. I always look at the mouse guns when I visit my LGS and I always hear Clint Smith in the back of my head "if you are going to carry a gun, carry the biggest one you can".
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    got an extra 1500 bucks sitting around ? Boberg XR9 | Best 9mm Pocket Pistol On Earth
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    I always get beat up for suggesting this little gun, but I will anyway. This is a NAA Pug that shoot a 22mag. The one I have has is a good shooter, very easy to carry and put rounds where you need them to go. Good luck...and you don't need $1500 to get one, maybe somewhere around $300.
    Attached Images
    gun_bushido likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links