I've discovered a problem with my Kahr CM9

This is a discussion on I've discovered a problem with my Kahr CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have a CM9 or PM9, you should read this article and check your pistol to make sure yours doesn't have this issue. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I've discovered a problem with my Kahr CM9

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

I've discovered a problem with my Kahr CM9

If you have a CM9 or PM9, you should read this article and check your pistol to make sure yours doesn't have this issue. I discovered that my CM9's slide can hang up on the tip of the guide rod when holstering the pistol (which can cause the slide to retract slightly) and put the pistol into a non-operable state. If you draw the pistol in this state and attempt to fire it, the gun will not function.

More info here: Flaw in the Kahr CM9 | The Bang Switch

I would like to hear from other CM9/PM9 owners to see how many other pistols might suffer from this issue.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Can you mitigate the issue by resting your thumb on the back of the slide while holstering, to prevent the slide from moving out of battery? I generally do this with all my semi autos when holstering.

My PM9 (my third) has given me enough grief to also be relegated to the safe. Much happier with my LCR. No fuss, no muss...goes bang every time.

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

Edit - I just checked my PM9, and it does NOT exhibit this defect. I even tried to force the recoil spring guide rod end cap over, but the slide would still come into battery. Looks like the cap is beveled on the edges, probably for this reason. Not sure about the end cap on the CM9 guide rod...?
    Last edited by 10thmtn; July 8th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    OldVet likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up. I carry a CM9 and in the future will be very careful about the glitch mentioned. I like the idea of using your thumb when holstering the weapon. I will make this a habit.

This is the type of stuff I LOVE about this forum!!!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    There's only one potential drawback I can see by putting your thumb on the back of the slide while holstering. That is if something catches in the trigger and it fires, not only will you likely have a leg injury from the bullet but you will likely have a serious problem with your thumb and one I wouldn't like to have. Just food for thought.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I do as 10thMtn does with all my striker fired pistols. As for shooting yourself in the leg and loosing a thumb, one should slowly and carefully holster your weapon no matter the style. You clear your shirt tail and slowly put your weapon in the holster. If something doesn't feel right stop and remove weapon, check the holster and start over again.
    Fitch likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I have a CM9 and a CW9 and just tried to duplicate this on both of them with no success?

When Sheilds were first introduced this was a big issue where the guns would move out of battery and not return on their own. I have not had this issue with my CM9.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    There's only one potential drawback I can see by putting your thumb on the back of the slide while holstering. That is if something catches in the trigger and it fires, not only will you likely have a leg injury from the bullet but you will likely have a serious problem with your thumb and one I wouldn't like to have. Just food for thought.
    That is false information. Your thumb will have very little to no injury at all. Here's proof. Pistol Whip 101 - Part 2 - YouTube

I have a PM9 and a MK9 and have not had this issue. Have you tried taking the gun apart and see if the guide rod was installed correctly?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member
    Wha?? More problems with kahr? - my not so shocked face. Kahr really seems to be in that group of firearm manufactures that are hit or miss, just too many bad reviews/problems out there to ignore. Which sucks, they do make some really nice size pistols which would be fantastic for CC, except they have reliability issues.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    That is false information. Your thumb will have very little to no injury at all. Here's proof. Pistol Whip 101 - Part 2 - YouTube
    Agreed. I had a firearms instructor prove this. We were all wincing when he fired. He fired twice more with his thumb firmly on the slide just to prove it was a fluke.

Thanks for the heads up on the slide/guide. I have a friend with a CM9. Ill have to send him the link to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Correct. Good technique to know in case you need to make a contact shot with a semi auto. It will be a one shot gun until you cycle it manually, but at least it will be in battery and fire the shot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

jyo
    I have two of the slightly larger CW-9s (wife and I) and cannot make it hang-up as you described---also, both pistols function 100% with any factory FMJ/JHP ammo I have tried. I'm happy with them...

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Can you mitigate the issue by resting your thumb on the back of the slide while holstering, to prevent the slide from moving out of battery? I generally do this with all my semi autos when holstering.
    Yes, one of the many little fumbles the PM9 and P380 exhibited, when I owned the 5 of them that I did.

Was so focused on trying to get passed the cranky little magazine-caused issues that I had totally forgotten the problem you mentioned occurred relatively frequently.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Couldn't get my PM9 to hang up no matter how hard I tried. Completely happy with mine. Close to 1,000 flawless rounds thru it and counting. No complaints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links