SIG P229 "Two-Tone"

SIG P229 "Two-Tone"

This is a discussion on SIG P229 "Two-Tone" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am meeting a fellow tomorrow to look into trading for a Sig P229 that is in the two-tone finish. He said it is a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cred's Cariad

Thread: SIG P229 "Two-Tone"

SIG P229 "Two-Tone"

I am meeting a fellow tomorrow to look into trading for a Sig P229 that is in the two-tone finish. He said it is a 1994 manufacture year. From the pictures that he sent me, the pistol looks to be in great shape for almost 20 year old gun. He has described as a "pretty much a safe queen".

What can be expected from a 229 that is this "old"? What things do I need to look for besides the usual?

Thanks for the information!
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Most Sigophiles prefer the older 229's to the newer ones. At least that is my understanding.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

A P229 from 1994 is right at the beginning of the sweet era for the gun (serial probably starts with AD.) A two tone from that era may also have nickel controls (the newer two tones do not.) Look for pitting on the slide, examine the frame rails, Sig's signature "smiley" on the muzzle end of the exterior of the barrel will give good data for how much it has been fired. There is more to look at in general with a Sig but it would be hard to explain it in words on a forum. IF you have snap caps for the size ammo for which the gun is chambered (9mm, 40 S&W or .357 SIG), I always like to take 5 with me to hand-cycle through the gun to see if it ejects properly. You can also test if the slide will lock back on the last round this way at the same time. If not, it is often weak mag springs causing it.

I don't need to be concerned with cracking frame rails or anything like (I recall reading about the older 226's that a some kind of problem like this, forgive me if I am wrong)?

If it is in as good as shape the pictures suggest, then I think I will go for it. He is also kicking in $100 to replace the dim/non-existent night sights.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Quote Originally Posted by pankusogre View Post
    I don't need to be concerned with cracking frame rails or anything like
    Nah, the only problem the original/older P229's had were extraction/ejection problems (very few had a problem but it did exist.) Sig has since redesigned the extractor but the older ones work just fine. Two tone P228s and 229s are very popular. I collect both (especially the P228.) Don't know what your gun is chambered in but most of the P229s from that era were .40's. The P229 may well be the perfect platform for shooting .40 S&W in a concealed carry gun.

I have an old school Sig p229 and LOVE it!

Sig P229 1.JPGSig P229 2.JPG
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The frame rails that cracked were the mud rails on the P226's; only around for a few years. P229's never had them, but removing the slide and examining the wear on the frame rails as well as barrel smilies is a good way to judge how much a Sig has been shot. If you see a lot of bare aluminum that has lost the anodizing that would be a warning sign.

Indianasig, is the redesigned extractor you are referring to the short vs. long extractor? That was not re-designed due to failure it was a re-design due to the short extractor not working as a MIM part. The tool steel short extractors are highly desirable, much more so than the recent and problematic long extractors. OP, a '94 will definitely have a short extractor.

Sig P series guns like to be run wet, grease the rails as oil is too thin for the stainless slide to run on the aluminum frame.

I went ahead and completed the trade...

For what it is worth, this '94 two-tone is chambered in 9mm and the serial # starts with AE.
    Attached Images
    Curzyk and Tzadik like this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

-Theodore Roosevelt-

Links