Ruger SR9c with DLC finish?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9c with DLC finish? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I called a LGS owner this afternoon, asking him if he had any Ruger SR9c's. He said he has the stainless option for $399 and ...

Thread: Ruger SR9c with DLC finish?

I called a LGS owner this afternoon, asking him if he had any Ruger SR9c's. He said he has the stainless option for $399 and a black one with DLC finish for $469.

It was closing time, so I told him I plan to drive up to see him in the morning, but I'm trying to find out what DLC is. I saw a video showing the gun, and it does look nice, but is it a better finish? My frugal soul really likes the $399 price, but I'll cough up another $70 if it's more than mere looks.

Thanks.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Distinguished Member
    I just went to the Ruger website. They list two options for the SR9c. Brushed stainless and black nitride. I have not a clue what DLC is. I own a SR9c and it is a great pistol. I'll bet there a more knowledgeable people here who can answer this question. $399 is a good price.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

You're right. The Ruger site doesn't give it. Web searches show the it's a specially hardened finish of stainless that Talon does, if I understand it right. I still don't know much about it and whether it is worth $70.

The regular black slides are steel alloy, so I would probably just go with stainless were that the option. I have an hour to figure out what this is.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

DLC stands for "diamond like carbon." It's supposed to be the hardest finish available.

It's supposed to wear better, especially for black slides.

As I continue to answer my own question, and as a contribution to the community :) , a company called IonBond markets DLC: http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html.

Links