Diamond like carbon coating: would you pay more?

This is a discussion on Diamond like carbon coating: would you pay more? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I asked this question earlier, and the lack of response makes me concerned that there is something bogus about a slide coating called "diamond like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Diamond like carbon coating: would you pay more?

I asked this question earlier, and the lack of response makes me concerned that there is something bogus about a slide coating called "diamond like carbon." It seems that some distributors sell particular guns with this supposedly harder-and-longer-lasting-than-normal coating. The Ruger SR9c in question is $70 more with the DLC coating.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373404477.923751.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373404525.059099.jpg

I talked with two tech persons at Ruger this afternoon in order to get some hard info on DLC, but one didn't know much about it and the other said it is only cosmetic.

Does anyone here know anything about it? The LGS seller told me that if I like I can exchange it for the stainless model and he would refund the $70 difference.

Thanks for wading through the meandering of mine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

gimmick me thinks, just another option, maybe ruger is trying to copy sig with the million different combinations per pistol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Exchange it for stainless. Duracoat the slide black if you don't like 2 tone. Finish wears, mild steel rusts. Stainless doesn't.

I ALWAYS take the stainless option if there is one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Never heard of it. Sounds like a gimmick to get the newbie to shell out more money for something .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Be aware some stainless will rust. if a magnet sticks to it, it can rust!!
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    diamond like carbon? diamond IS carbon.sounds like a gimmick to sucker you into paying more for something that comes as standard on other guns.
    Tzadik and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Who knows what it is, but the only thing diamond-like is diamond. Nothing else carbon based comes close.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    There are some pretty incredible surface coatings out there these days that are amazingly tough.

Titanium NITRIDE IS ONE. Hardide is another fairly new one which is Tungsten Carbide based and is 9 times harder than hardened steel.

So it's possible that it's not a gimmick. I have just never heard of this one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Come on, doesn't anybody check wikipedia ?

"Applications of DLC typically utilize the ability of the material to reduce abrasive wear. Tooling components, such as endmills, drill bits, dies and molds often use DLC in this manner. DLC is also used in the engines of modern supersport motorcycles, Formula 1 racecars, NASCAR vehicles, and as a coating on hard-disk platters and hard-disk read heads to protect against head crashes. Virtually all of the multi-bladed razors used for wet shaving have the edges coated with hydrogen-free DLC to reduce friction, preventing abrasion of sensitive skin. It is also being used as a coating by some weapon manufacturers/custom gunsmiths. Some forms have been certified in the EU for food service and find extensive uses in the high-speed actions involved in processing novelty foods such as "chips" and in guiding material flows in packaging foodstuffs with plastic wraps. DLC coats the cutting edges of tools for the high-speed, dry shaping of difficult exposed surfaces of wood and aluminium, for example on automobile dashboards."

Sounds like more than a gimmick to me. It seems there are different forms of diamond-like carbon, but if it's comparable to a coating used for high-speed dry cutting of aluminum, it's sure to hold up better than a standard finish.
    gatorbait51 and kmckinnon like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Digging around a little more, it looks like DLC coatings have hardness in the range of 10-30 GPa, compared to a Tennifer coating being around 7 or 8 GPa.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member
    You know what I learned after 42 years of shooting? Most gun owners do not benefit from all these high priced fancy coating. The gun either sits in a drawer or in a holster. Few take any training classes or put their guns to hard use. Many get these fancy coatings for reasons other than durability. Heck, most people I know, me included, do not even keep their guns long enough for them to show wear in the original coatings. After 4 decades I can say that I do not own a gun that shows signs of wear so I just go with the already durable finishes on most mid priced and up guns. However if your lifestyle involves using your gun in harsh conditions, drawing and reholstering it a lot each day, then you may benefit. I once bought a gun that had been Durakoted. It chipped off in two spots. What a waste.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

If the scientific proof could convince me, perhaps. But not simply because someone claims it's so.

And, even then, a few hundred hours' worth of salt spray and related testing won't show what it'll be like in 10yrs of hard use, no matter how much salt they use. The tests show what the tests show, but, good as they are, they don't show combinations of usage/abrasion/fluids/chemicals damage that applies to all potential buyers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    You know what I learned after 42 years of shooting? Most gun owners do not benefit from all these high priced fancy coating. The gun either sits in a drawer or in a holster. Few take any training classes or put their guns to hard use. Many get these fancy coatings for reasons other than durability. Heck, most people I know, me included, do not even keep their guns long enough for them to show wear in the original coatings. After 4 decades I can say that I do not own a gun that shows signs of wear so I just go with the already durable finishes on most mid priced and up guns. However if your lifestyle involves using your gun in harsh conditions, drawing and reholstering it a lot each day, then you may benefit. I once bought a gun that had been Durakoted. It chipped off in two spots. What a waste.
    A good point. Even if the DLC is more durable than a normal finish (which it probably is), it may not have any practical benefit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

— Captain Bellamy

That's kind of what got me wondering, the lack of hard and fast evidence. Some folks, it seems, spend $200 or more for this process, at least that's what I'm finding online. I would never do that. I looked at the guns together and like the looks of the black DLC one better. However, looks alone isn't worth $70 to me.

As for buying and selling, I'm not really into that. I still have the Remington 1100 which I bought in the early '70s and a .38 Spl snubbie I bought in the early '80s. ;)

The seller is a stand up guy, though. Evidently he's convinced of the value of the DLC. He didn't hesitate to offer for me to return it and he would sell me the stainless and credit the difference. Stainless is $399, which is a fine price.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

VIP Member
    It's a way for Ruger to get more money for what I would consider a semi budget gun already.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links