Best option for lowering Glock 36 trigger pull?

This is a discussion on Best option for lowering Glock 36 trigger pull? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I mentioned in my intro post, I am beholden to the .45 ACP. I'm also looking to get a conceal carry in that caliber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best option for lowering Glock 36 trigger pull?

Best option for lowering Glock 36 trigger pull?

As I mentioned in my intro post, I am beholden to the .45 ACP. I'm also looking to get a conceal carry in that caliber that is a non-1911 pattern. Don't get me wrong, as I also said in my intro, I am a huge 1911 fanboy, and believe it to be the finest pistol design that still has yet to grace this earth.

Being a research scientist and instrument technician, I want to know exactly how what I rely on works, so I got down to doing a lot of research. While I know the hype often seems to put Glock and 1911 people at odds, I've never been a hype kind of person. Once I figured out completely how a Glock worked, I couldn't BS myself, given the elegance and simplicity of the design and function, I was smitten.

Over the past few months I rented and shot a few double stack .45 ACP Glocks (30 and 30SF) at distances I would decimate the black with using my personal frankensteined full size 1911. No dice. I was all over the place. Despite my appreciation for the design of the Glock mechanisms, my muscle memory and small hands hated it trying to compensate for a grip I had been brainwashed with.

I knew about the Glock 36, but only got the chance to shoot one for the first time today over lunch. This is what my first two magazines, cold bore, looked like at 45 feet (max distance this indoor range has):

So, yeah, me likey, and I was pretty sure right away I had found "the one".

But, I'm a wuss, and as I worked through the 50 round box, my finger got more and more tired, and I started skipping stones out in the 8 and 7 rings.

So the question becomes, what is the best 3.5 lb connector out there? I know I can never make a Glock trigger feel as magical as a 1911 trigger, but I would sure as hell like to change the connector to drop the pull if I buy one. I'm betting that putting a nice polish on the trigger bar and connector mating surfaces makes a noticeable difference, as well. If I'm going to concealed carry, I plan on practicing a lot.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe finger exercises?

If you are sticking to the COM for 15 rounds you should be good for a carry gun.

There are benefits to a substantial trigger pull in a daily carry gun especially when you encounter the affects of an adrenaline dump and loss of fine motor skills in a fight or flight moment. The 8+ lb pull will be feather light then.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm no gunsmith, but as I understand it when you lighten the trigger on a glock you're reducing the pressure of the strike on the primer (a down side of simplicity), so there is only so much you can do before you start sacrificing reliability...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Is the G36 a SD weapon? It's kinda tiny to be a range fun gun, but maybe it is... Anyway, if it's a SD weapon, I wouldn't change the trigger. If you want to poke the center out of a target for accuracy, get a different gun. If you carry it, then you need to not jack with it, especially messing with the trigger pull like that.

If you have some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket, go take a good combat pistol class. That'll do more for you than a lighter trigger on a combat weapon.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I'm no gunsmith, but as I understand it when you lighten the trigger on a glock you're reducing the pressure of the strike on the primer (a down side of simplicity), so there is only so much you can do before you start sacrificing reliability...
    The trigger pull as far as the connector is concerned is about the angle of attack that forces the trigger bar down (and therefore the sear off the striker nose). In fact, simple geometry says that it would require a longer pull at a lighter weight (reduced angle of attack of the shelf on the connector) if using the connector to reduce trigger pull. This means you're pulling the striker and spring back further before the nose of the striker is separated from the sear face.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Is the G36 a SD weapon? It's kinda tiny to be a range fun gun, but maybe it is... Anyway, if it's a SD weapon, I wouldn't change the trigger. If you want to poke the center out of a target for accuracy, get a different gun. If you carry it, then you need to not jack with it, especially messing with the trigger pull like that.
    Last time I checked, the time I want to be most accurate is when my life depends on it. I have serious training in firearms safety, and I want to be able to poke the center of a target out during self defense just as much as in the range.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Maybe finger exercises?

If you are sticking to the COM for 15 rounds you should be good for a carry gun.

There are benefits to a substantial trigger pull in a daily carry gun especially when you encounter the affects of an adrenaline dump and loss of fine motor skills in a fight or flight moment. The 8+ lb pull will be feather light then.
    If my finger is in the trigger guard, I'm pulling the trigger. I want the pull that makes me the most accurate and effective.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    Last time I checked, the time I want to be most accurate is when my life depends on it. I have serious training in firearms safety, and I want to be able to poke the center of a target out during self defense just as much as in the range.
    Go invest in actual combat pistol training and you'll get a different perspective. You won't poke the center out of a bullseye target when you are drawing and firing three to five defensive shots and any good instructor will make you speed up if you do, because you won't be doing it fast enough. Combat shooting has almost nothing to do with group size, unless you start grouping outside of the desirable area of effect.

I'm not trying to jump on you; I'm trying to give you some solid advice about the difference between being proficient with a combat weapon and being a "good" shot. I never shoot my Glocks that accurately at a target. I do most of my practice on targets without any sort of bullseye at all. That's not to say I cannot hit with small groups, but that's not the purpose of my practice or training with the weapons that I carry for self defense.
    NRA Life Member

Expat, I plan on it! There are several I'd like to go to. Gunsite and Craft, Intl being the first two on my list.
    TX expat likes this.

40Bob likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    Expat, I plan on it! There are several I'd like to go to. Gunsite and Craft, Intl being the first two on my list.
    Check out the defensive pistol class that Rob Pincus is doing at Gander Mountain in Houston. There's one going on in August. I know this because I am going to be down that way in the first part of August but the wife absolutely forbade me from taking a day out of our vacation to go do training! It's a short, one day deal so it'll be somewhat limited in scope, but I enjoy just about any opportunity to get a different perspective on training and Rob is a very well respected teacher.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    As being a technical person myself; I will say that data can sure vary based upon shooting abilities.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Check out the trigger bars from ghost

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Buy a 1911...

I'll second the Ghost trigger bars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links