Two pocket pistols, old vs new

This is a discussion on Two pocket pistols, old vs new within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife's grandfather passed away in the 1970's, and she inherited a few of his possessions. He had a concealed permit from Bakersfield, California, last ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: Two pocket pistols, old vs new

VIP Member

My wife's grandfather passed away in the 1970's, and she inherited a few of his possessions. He had a concealed permit from Bakersfield, California, last renewed in 1973. I never met him, but apparently he was a Colt guy, on the front of his permit is listed his Colt .22 Challenger, and on the back of the permit is a place to list additional guns and his Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless (.32) is listed there as well. (front/back pictures of the "edited" permit are enclosed). I'm not going to include a photo of the .22, but I have enclosed one of the Colt 1903.

Recently, I've decided to up my own pocket pistol from an LCP, to a Kimber Solo, I haven't completed my transition, but I like the idea of a pocket 9mm. I have read both negative and positive reviews about the Solo, but I will wring this Solo out thoroughly and see if it gains my trust, which I haven't done yet. I'm also including a picture of the Solo laying over the Colt 1903. BTW the LCP is a little shorter in length and height over the Solo, and certainly thinner. The weight is quite a difference with the LCP being 9.6 oz vs the Solo at 17.2 oz. I've been trying the Solo to see how it would be inside my pocket/holstered, and it's definitely a bit more there, but easily tolerable. So if it functions well for me, then it's going to be good to go.

FWIW I weighed the Colt 1903 at 23.9 oz, and being .32 cal with that weight, it's a pleasure to shoot all day.

Some pictures of interest:
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray, OD*, MarkT and 5 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Cool thread! Fun to consider your grandfather in bygone times being into Colts like that and willing to commit a couple to a concealed carry permit. The Colt Model 1903 is very flat and has a profile that would hide very well. It's interesting to see the comparison between the 9mm Solo and the .32 Colt automatic. Expectations for handguns geared for personal defense have changed since the Colt was made.

Have you considered obtaining a factory letter from Colt on the Model 1903?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Cool thread! Fun to consider your grandfather in bygone times being into Colts like that and willing to commit a couple to a concealed carry permit. The Colt Model 1903 is very flat and has a profile that would hide very well. It's interesting to see the comparison between the 9mm Solo and the .32 Colt automatic. Expectations for handguns geared for personal defense have changed since the Colt was made.

Have you considered obtaining a factory letter from Colt on the Model 1903?
    I have thought about it a few times, but it has been easy for it to go on the back-burner. What is the charge from Colt these days?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

OD*
    Couple beautiful pistols there, Jim.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I have thought about it a few times, but it has been easy for it to go on the back-burner. What is the charge from Colt these days?
    For the pistols you have Jim, it's $75 per letter.

Colt's Archive Services
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    What a cool piece of history and a couple of fine pistols.

Thanks for sharing.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Nice very NICE..

VIP Member
    The vintage CA carry permit is treasure enough. The Colt is just icing on the cake!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

They're all fine guns, but my vote goes to the Colt on cool factor alone :-) Maybe you could wear it on Sundays?

Congrats on a nice piece of history.

Links