The right gun - Glock 19 or Sig SP2022?

This is a discussion on The right gun - Glock 19 or Sig SP2022? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested to hear opinions about the right carry gun. I had a Sig SP 2022 but it was really uncomfortable to carry and somewhat ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The right gun - Glock 19 or Sig SP2022?

The right gun - Glock 19 or Sig SP2022?

I'm interested to hear opinions about the right carry gun. I had a Sig SP 2022 but it was really uncomfortable to carry and somewhat harder to conceal. How about the Glock 19? I'm looking to get something soon.

2. Remove Ads

The Glock-19 is an excellent choice, and the Glock-26 would also work quite well for concealment.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do you have a preference with the Glock 19 either Gen 3 or 4? If so, why? I really like what I have seen so far of the 19

GLOCK 19 is my EDC. I can't compare it to the Sig, but I can tell you it is a damn fine pistol right out of the box.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The G19 is probably the most popular handgun in America and is carried by a lot of people. Personally, I think it is too big for a CCW, but many don't agree. The Sig Pro line gets mixes reviews, they certainly aren't the quality of the 2xx series Sigs but also cost roughly half as much. If it means anything to you, the SP2340 is approved for duty use by the DEA and passed their rigorous testing protocol.
    Richard58 likes this.

What are the big differences between the Gen 3 and 4 Glock 19? Is there a reason to choose a Gen 4 over a 3?

The Gen 4s have a slightly smaller grip than the 3s, and come with interchangeable backstraps if you want the grip a bit bigger. Three mags instead of two, oversized mag release, more aggressive grip texture, and of course, the dual captive RSA.

This last really caused the 4s to lose ground fast. They'd hang up, wouldn't cycle lighter range ammo, so on and so forth. Some ran, some didn't. Glock fixed the problem, and my later model (this year) 19 runs great. But the 4s (9mms) will be forever tainted by the early model's growing pains.

I have a Gen 4 19 and an identical pistol in 357 SIG, a Gen 4 32. They run great.

While the 2022 has an excellent trigger, I'd throw rocks at a 2022 to get a 19.

If you want a SIG, get a P series. 226, 229, 220, M11. That's the only way to go if you get a SIG. Spendy, but worth it in my opinion.

Or get a 19 and forget the whole damn thing.

As many people here have said before me (but it's worth repeating for your issue) - unless you're talking about a small pocket pistol, a "comfortable" carry gun usually needs to be carried in a good holster and supported by a good gun belt. At least that's been my experience.

Once you find those two components the actual hangun makes little difference unless you're comparing say a full-size 1911 or Sig 220 .45 to a Glock 26. In that case I think the Glock is more comfortable to carry - but many folks give up a little comfort for a pistol they shoot better.

Regarding concealment - I prefer an OWB holster (much more comfortable to me) so perhaps I don't conceal as well as some other folks, but believe it or not people really don't notice a bump on your hip that can generally only be seen when you twist your body or bend down; a square bottom short sleeved shirt (with a sleeveless t-shirt underneath so the gun doesn't touch your skin), or a one size too large t-shirt in the summer and a sweatshirt in the cooler months conceals the gun and gives you good access. You may give up some "fashion" points but that really shouldn't be a priority. And if you wear a sport coat or suit, it's a no brainer - great for concealment.

So, my opinion is that the Glock 19 or 26 are both great choices, but you may have the same issues unless you address the belt and holster components at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by davyed View Post
    What are the big differences between the Gen 3 and 4 Glock 19? Is there a reason to choose a Gen 4 over a 3?
    Better grip and less felt recoil due to the revised recoil spring. My G19 gen4 is one of my best investments, can't say enough good things about it. Excellent buy and carry pistol
    TX expat likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

get a glock and learn how to dress around the gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    The best thing about buying a G19 is the free G26 that comes with it! Ok, I guess it isn't exactly free... And it doesn't exactly come with it... But they always end up together in the end, so budget accordingly.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

19, either gen3 or 4

Get a G19 Gen4. I like the grip texture better on the G4 and the dual recoil assembly is pretty cool.

I carry the G26 Gen 4 and would recommend the Gen 4 due to one of the major gripes with a Glock is the feel of the grip and the Gen 4 backstrap interchangeability helps to address that.

I carry the G26 in a Remora at 8:00-8:30 (lefty) and I can conceal it under a t-shirt, polo shirt, or even a slim-fit button up. I have a Pierce +0 mag extension that brings the factory mag height about to the height of the G19 and I feel that it hitches my shirt up more when I bend over/kneel down so I keep the flat mag plate while I carry and backup with a G26 mag with the +0 Pierce grip.

Having said all that...I think the G19 would be very concealable just be a bit more aware of the possibility of "shirt-hitch" with the G19's handle and it happens with my G26 as well.

My G26 shoots like a dream and I can only imagine that the G19 would shoot even better.

Glock 19, 9mm, hands down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links