front sight mod

This is a discussion on front sight mod within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have been carrying an all steel Taurus 85 for some while now. a few years back, i had my gunsmith mill the front sight ...

Thread: front sight mod

tg [OP]

front sight mod

i have been carrying an all steel Taurus 85 for some while now. a few years back, i had my gunsmith mill the front sight off and tap it for a fiber optic sight intended for a shotgun. it has worked out really well........greatly improves sight picture, same height as original sight, and looks pretty good too. my question is this: i want something lighter to pocket-carry and have been saving and scrimping for a S&W 637 and finally have enough. trouble is, i'll be back to square one so far as hard-to-see front sights go with the 637. do you think it would be unadvisable to get the same thing done to the Smith as i did to the Taurus? i know some of the more expensive S&W's come with fiber optic sights, but the nearly $400 i'll be paying for the 637 is pretty near my limit. i guess i'm just a little reluctant to modify a more expensive gun like the 637 even 'tho it'll be an improvement. just wanted some opinions before i take the plunge.......tg
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    i have been carrying an all steel Taurus 85 for some while now. a few years back, i had my gunsmith mill the front sight off and tap it for a fiber optic sight intended for a shotgun. it has worked out really well........greatly improves sight picture, same height as original sight, and looks pretty good too. my question is this: i want something lighter to pocket-carry and have been saving and scrimping for a S&W 637 and finally have enough. trouble is, i'll be back to square one so far as hard-to-see front sights go with the 637. do you think it would be unadvisable to get the same thing done to the Smith as i did to the Taurus? i know some of the more expensive S&W's come with fiber optic sights, but the nearly $400 i'll be paying for the 637 is pretty near my limit. i guess i'm just a little reluctant to modify a more expensive gun like the 637 even 'tho it'll be an improvement. just wanted some opinions before i take the plunge.......tg
    I noticed that you say you're paying under $400 for the gun, yet later express reluctance to "...modify a more expensive gun like the 637..."

If you're paying less than $400 for it, it's really not all that expensive, and I would modify it as you wish...or spend a lot more to buy an S&W revolver with the HI-VIZ front sight.

On this particular question, you may end up getting the best advice at the Smith & Wesson forum, which you can find at http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    Put what works/ is the most familiar to you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

so does this mean you're looking to get rid of that taurus?

get some orange model car paint and paint top of the front sight. i did this in 1974 on my s&w model 19 (first duty gun, had to buy your own gun, dept was poor). and the paint is still there, with some small touch ups over the years.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It's not cheap but if you ever decide to splurge, check out Gemini customizing. They make a unique front sight for small revolvers that they could fit to your gun, but againg, it won't be as inexpensive solution as you have on the taurus but I think it'll work better and will probably snag less.

God Bless
    Gideon

Links