Just picked up an M&P .40

This is a discussion on Just picked up an M&P .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just traded an old EMP for a new M&P .40 and some other gear. I figure I really love the 1911 but they really ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigpoppa48

Thread: Just picked up an M&P .40

I just traded an old EMP for a new M&P .40 and some other gear. I figure I really love the 1911 but they really do malfunction to often and 15 rounds compared to 8 is the way to go. I have a compact M&P 9mm that has seen well over 10,000 rounds. I hope this one is as reliable. Anyone else carrying a 4 1/2 M&P .40, and how does it function? Oh yea I got the model with night sights and a thumb safety, anyone ever have any issues with the thumb safety?

No thumb safety on mine. In fact I've never seen one with one (not to say they dont exist, just never seen one on shelves) I love mine. Shoots Remington JHP with no issues. I've put about 1k rounds through it without a SINGLE malfunction of any kind. Have found it to have great recoil effects and great visual appeal (If you're into that kind of stuff lol) Trigger reset is quick and smooth. Something I was personally happy with as a lot of my training involves double tapping targets. We are currently also in the process of trying to convince the Marine Corps to change over to them from the Berettas they still issue from 'Nam. If your looking for a holster, a lot of members on here, myself included, have taken a liking to the MidWorld Ohio Special.

-Kyle

I have shot the model with the thumb safety and hate it with a passion, it is the most obtrusive safety I have ever encountered on a pistol (and I'm pretty pro manual safety). MY M&Ps have all been the no thumb safety model, which most of the ones in stores seem to be. I have also seen in classes experienced shooters accidentally safing their guns under stress. That said, if it's just a range gun, it really isn't an issue. I can't imagine carrying a full size M&P concealed personally, the compact is tricky enough with the rail.

Thanks GSDSchutzhund I looked At those midworld holsters I might give them a try. As for carrying a full size concealed no worries at all I have carried a full size 1911 and concealed it well.

I will continue to carry my EMP. I have over 2000 rounds and have had only 1 failure to chamber a round. Because of the match chamber, I now take barrel out and drop every round in to make sure it fits freely. It's a small price to pay for reliable service of a great shooting gun. One can also open up chamber, but won't have a match chamber then.

Lead Moderator
    No issues with mine (with thumb safety) . I can thumb it off same as a 1911 . A bit big to carry as it is about the same size as my HK USP , but it shoots well and works every time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My main EDC is the Full Size M&P 4 1/4 inch barrel(357Sig/40S&W) with Crimson Trace Laser Grip. This has been my main carry weapon for the last 3 yrs. and I like the ability to carry either caliber with just a barrel swap. I just purchased a Glock30 for summer time carry but will go back to carrying my M&P357Sig/40S&W during the winter months. Zero issues with my M&P.
    neverknow likes this.

Sponsored Links