My wife racking the slide

This is a discussion on My wife racking the slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife wants to go out shooting . Problem is she has not been able to rack the slide on my PX4 storm or a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: My wife racking the slide

VIP Member

My wife wants to go out shooting . Problem is she has not been able to rack the slide on my PX4 storm or a Ruger SR9C i do have a 380 Taurus on order . Are there any calibers or makes that have an easier slide feature . Or should i stick to a revolver . Thanks in advance
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Show her how and let her practice, practice, practice. This will require patience on your part, but it will be worth it.
    welder516 likes this.

Buy her some dumb bells. Give her a few weeks.
    Dnbailey, kapnketel and Taurahe like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Buy her some dumb bells. Give her a few weeks.
    She already has me
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

There are some tricks to try. Have her hold the slide steady and push on the back frame of the gun or try pushing in both directions at the same time. Have her rack the slide without a magazine in and then insert the loaded magazine and work the slide release. The Bersa guns seem to have an easier slide for some people. A Sig P238 is not too bad for racking the slide.
    welder516 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

It is really not a strength issue its just a new motion to master. My wife is 67 an weighs in at 115 has no prob with any of my guns at the range, CZ, glock, shield several others. It just takes a willingness to learn and practice.
    StormRhydr, welder516 and USM1976 like this.

VIP Member
    I felt as i was watching her it was a strength issue . I will most certainly work on this with her . Thanks
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

Have her use her HAND, not just her fingers, to rack the slide. There are two ways to do this. Say she is right handed; Her left arm horizontal, bent at the elbow. 1. Hand over the top of gun, gun length running center of palm, cupped over the sides. Obviously, one doesnt put any part of their hand in front of the end of the barrel.

2. This one women really like to use, and could be used by any who were injured in a fight; Same as above, but this time either hold firm with the left hand, and push your right arm out (gun in the rignt hand), OR use a combo movement; Push forward with the right arm holding the gun, and move the left hand (in the postion described above) rewards.

This has advantages for those with less strength, but very practical advantages for EVERYONE in a fight. Your fine motor control vanishes when in the fight. Some training refers to it as your hands becoming "flippers".

My wife had similar issues. She couldn't rack my 1911's and she couldn't pull the trigger on a .357 revolver. She was finally able to rack a Glock 36. Some are easier than others. Take her to a gun shop and go through the whole case. Eventually she'll find one.
    pittypat21 and welder516 like this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

VIP Member
    Too much hand lotion?

Seriously, give her some practice (safely!) lessons, strength AND technique.
    welder516 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Seriously though about the dumb bells A little strength training will do some good. Try those hand/grip strengthener things, too. Some people can't grip the slide hard enough to pull it. Work the hand strength and forearm strength. It will help a bunch.
    IsaiahM33 and welder516 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Technique and practice. Doesn't take strength if the technique is proper.

Gun in strong side hand, grasp slide and push with gun hand. My wife has authritus in her hands to the point she finds it painful to collapse an empty Pepsi can more than slightly before dropping it in recycling bin, but can rack her XD9 4" and XD9sc. Had one of the women that works in our LGS showed her the technique, and got some snapcaps for her to practice with.

My 10 year old grandson can also rack the XD9's and my XD40's.
    Lish, Caertaker and welder516 like this.

Assuming that you are right handed, grab the top of the slide firmly with your left hand and brace your arm against your left hip with the muzzle of the gun pointed downward. Grab the grip of the gun in your right hand and with your left arm braced, shove downward. Release slide and let it fly forward. Congratulations. You've just racked the slide.
    welder516 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I have to use the push pull on some of the semi autos I shoot, mostly 1911 45. How much do you think its the mind set she could pinch something? That was my hang up for a very long time as I was rail roaded on a LCP when I was just starting out.I have no issue w/ my M&P or my buddies sig 2022? (think that is) I pretty much dig my elbow in my waist - hip area to rack bigger though. but I could do all of them after I got over the fear of pinching my hand.
    welder516 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links