Need Advice for Selecting New, Smaller Concealed Handgun

This is a discussion on Need Advice for Selecting New, Smaller Concealed Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 23 which I have been carrying in a White Hat IWB holster. Of course this is not optimal this time of ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By BadgerJ

Thread: Need Advice for Selecting New, Smaller Concealed Handgun

I have a Glock 23 which I have been carrying in a White Hat IWB holster. Of course this is not optimal this time of year due to size of the gun. So I have been planning to buy a smaller gun very soon; ideally a Glock 26. I am used to Glocks and like the feel, reliability, shootability, etc. I also favor the capacity of a G26, as compared to the many small single stack pistols.

So here is the complication. I am planning to travel North with a group of about 12 people to work on a house in a very bad neighborhood (very) to support a local church doing great things to help the people in the area. A former LEO was planning to come along as a security presence, but now may not be able to. So it is possible that I may need to perform moderately physical work over about a week with whatever smaller concealed handgun I purchase.

Has anyone attempted moderately physical work with a concealed Glock 26? Can anyone make other recommendations for a concealed handgun in this situation?

If it were me, I'd get a few pairs of cheap cargo pants to work in, and put the G26 in a side pocket (with a pocket holster of some kind, maybe a Remora, I like those).

There are plenty of good options for smaller guns, but considering that the higher capacity is a good idea for a very bad neighborhood, plus the lack of any need to "dress to impress," the Glock seems a fine option.

Even better might be not to go... Helping people out on a house is a great thing to do, but not worth getting killed over.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    A Glock 26 in an IWB is no problem doing moderate or more than moderate physical work.

We install commercial kitchens which can involve a lot of bending over, stooping down, reaching up, etc... and no problems with a 26 in a Crossbreed (or similar) holster.

VIP Member
    Don't not go.....the blessing will be all yours. Trust me.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    When I carried my Glock 26, I carried in Two places. One was on the belt at about the 2 O Clock position and the other IWB in about the same place. With the correct holster you could do cartwheels and the gun will stay put. I have not bought a shirt that goes in the pants in 15 years so I have carried all sizes from NAA 22Mag to a Glock 21. By the way, I never could do a cartwheel.

Stoveman, I am looking forward to this trip. The church is buying houses on a block one at a time and fixing them up and moving in members to be a positive influence in a difficult place. This is house #2.

Spent a day running a chainsaw with my Shield in an IWB setup. Never knew it was there.m
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

a crossbreed style holster with a horsehide leather backing should work well for you. The horsehide is more moisture resistant than cowhide.

You can also adjust where the holster sits to make it more comfortable. For example with my crossbreed and g19 I will move it to a 3 o'clock position when going on long drives. If I will be standing a lot it is at the 4 o'clock position.

I see you are in Azle, so I assume "north" means not TX, so I'm guessing St. Louis, which certainly has more than a few "very bad" areas to go around (or I might be totally wrong). Check out the MIC holster from Glocktech, it allows for carry anywhere on your waistband provided you have a solid belt, which I assume you will. You can get them either online or from most cop shops for $20 or so. I have them for all of my guns for which they are available, the nice thing is that one for a G19 also fits a 17 and 26 (as well as the .40 and 357 Glocks).

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    G26 in an N82 holster.
    MJB_17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    G26 in an N82 holster.
    I agree, that is also a good option, but it isn't cheap.

A Glock 26 is my EDC, so I can provide personal experience.

I've run my 26 in a Pistol Wear Trump Card before. While it eliminates a speedy draw and presentation, it is extremely secure and tight against the body, even while running around in the yard with the kids.

I got the subcompact holster version of the Trump Card, which the 26 just barely fits in (you'll need to stretch it a bit). Their next size up may be better. I got the nude color, as if anyone saw the band around my waist during physical activity, I can easily pass it off as a back brace. Their nude color looks very much like a piece of medical equipment.

Otherwise, a quality kydex holster that provides good retention, carried in the appendix position, will be a good idea. Appendix carry offers good awareness of the pistol's position and retention. Plus, being it's a 26, bending over, squatting, or twisting during physical activity will not be a problem, as the pistol is so short.

No magazine extensions! You don't need the extra length.

A S&W Shield or Walther PPS will be the two guns that have very similar feel to a glock as far as operation and trigger. Those two would be my choice. But I am partial and have both.

A belly-band style holster might do you well. It'd allow you to keep your same gun, not have to break in a new gun and risk failure on an impending trip. It ought to hold the gun nicely concealed through reasonably active work.

SmartCarry
    ThunderWear
    PistolWear
    or similar
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry a G26 in a Remora with the small sweatshield option and I can forget that its there. I tuck it in at 8:30 and can even wear it driving and not notice.

I'm 6'0" 160 and didn't need to buy bigger pants...it works well for me. I can even carry it in mesh shorts without adjusting the drawstring...but doing jumping jacks in that set up wouldn't be advisable.

As an aside ...years ago I was lead on a youth mission trip similar to this in Augusta GA in a rough neighborhood and the police decided to serve a warrant across the street...I shuffled the kids behind the house and we stayed low. It worked out fine...The Lord will provide.

Sponsored Links