New LCP

This is a discussion on New LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking at a lot of 1911's lately so went out today looking again,didn't quite pull the trigger yet on one but its coming !!! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New LCP

New LCP

Been looking at a lot of 1911's lately so went out today looking again,didn't quite pull the trigger yet on one but its coming !!! But looking around my lgs today I couldn't help myself but I kept checking out the lcp w/ crimson trace. After reading info on hear about it and just reviews in general I bought one !! Great little gun for backup and everywhere carry. Got it home and fired a box through it shot well for what it is,quick follow up shots are not the tightest but close enough for what I bought it for, I need to tweak the crimson a little bit but well pleased with gun. My biggest issue with it is after last round the slide doesn't lock open,??????) I own several firearms but not an expert by any means, so I got a ? Is this standard for this gun or should slide be locked back ?? Dumb ?? Or do I need to take it back and have them look @ it ?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Nope. The slide does not lock open on an empty mag. Unfortunately, they're all built that way. Otherwise, it's an outstanding CCW.

Congratulations on your new gun!

Nope it doesn't lock after the last round. I don't know why they make them that way.

For a backup mag I bought a factory 7 rounder.

uploadfromtaptalk1373596201809.jpg

But I pocket carry mine with the flush plate on the 6 rounder. I don't like how the finger extension prints in my khakis

Ok I wasn't sure, would rather ask ? Then look dumber than I really am.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Ok I wasn't sure, would rather ask ? Then look dumber than I really am.
    Believe me, that's far from a dumb question. The LCP is the only pistol I own that doesn't lock back on an empty mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
    Believe me, that's far from a dumb question. The LCP is the only pistol I own that doesn't lock back on an empty mag.
    Do you know why? It couldn't add much expense to the manufacturing process to put a spring under the catch and design the follower to push it up after the last round.

My brother owns a Bersa 9 and it doesn't always lock back when the last round is fired. So...my stupid question is what is the advantage of the lock back other than signifying that it's time to reload? I always count my shots but I'm guessing that under SD firing one wouldn't necessarily be "counting" their shots, at all. BTW the LCP was my first weapon purchased so not locking back on an empty mag. was not all that unusual to me at the time.
    Last edited by VTX1800; July 12th, 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: ommission

I got an LCP yesterday as well.

I previously had a Keltec 32 caliber pistol many years ago... The Ruger is based off the 380 Keltec (which is almost the same as the 32 version)

I rented the LCP at the range yesterday, and then bought one a cuple hours later after thinking about it. The rental was the older model. When I got my new one and fired it, I could tell that the trigger was different. After I was done, I mentioned it, and the range guy told me that Ruger had redesigned the trigger. I've since looked it up - apparently the new version also has bigger sights.

I am glad I went with this over a Keltec 380, after I found out about the better trigger. I remember that Keltec 32 I had - I never could hit the bullseye with that LOOONG, heavy trigger. I was hitting dead center with the LCP at 7 yards with no issues at all.

LCP, Great little carry option. For up close duty and deep carry conditions, it's hard to beat. I carry mine every day of the week during business hours. Congrats on a fine choice.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    I don't think it's a huge deal that it doesn't lock back. Lots of times while I'm shooting and focusing on the front sight I don't notice the slide is locked back until the trigger won't break again.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I don't think it's a huge deal that it doesn't lock back. Lots of times while I'm shooting and focusing on the front sight I don't notice the slide is locked back until the trigger won't break again.
    Agree. In fact, during a fight, chances are that one will fire until it clicks, then the audible sound will tell ya when to reload and repeat.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Agree with all stated above...
    Great little pistol- only complaint, is that my hands are big, and it's small

But, that's my only complaint
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

Bought one (used) about 2 months ago for my 2 grandudes to shoot. It had a LaserLyte laser on it that I have come to like. Great pistol but I DO miss the last round lock back. I feel dumb if I don't count (yeah, I know it's only 6!) but pulling the trigger and getting a click is annoying. After zeroing the laser I got 3 in one hole (!!!) from 5-7 yds. Gotta like that!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The LCP is a great little pistol and in my opinion you made a smart buy. Mine, which is now 5-1/2 years old, has been a fine, fine friend.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links