Help me choose my next gun (please)

This is a discussion on Help me choose my next gun (please) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a year ago I purchased my first gun, a used HS 2000 (XD predecessor) in 9mm with a 4 inch barrel and a 16 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help me choose my next gun (please)

Help me choose my next gun (please)

About a year ago I purchased my first gun, a used HS 2000 (XD predecessor) in 9mm with a 4 inch barrel and a 16 round magazine. Then I bought a Kel Tec p3at as my backup gun, which now serves as a primary more often than I would like (like jogging, going to the gym, going on dates, etc) because of its ease of carry. After Sandy Hook I worried about a ban on high-capacity magazines so I bought one of the last compact XD-9s in the gun shop and overzealously ordered 3 additional 16 round magazines from Springfield.

So at this point I have essentially two interchangeable high capacity 9mm, 4 inch barrel guns that are hard to conceal. Because they are hard to conceal I find myself carrying the Kel Tec P3at more often than I would like. I worry that in a gunfight in the gym, on my jogging route, or on a date, I would be dead meat because I find it hard to shoot it accurately and it only holds 6+1 slow, light rounds.

Size-wise I am looking for something between a full size 9mm and the Kel Tec. I am sold on the 9mm and dont want to consider other calibers. I will be trading in the HS 2000 and need to decide between the single stack 9mm pocket pistols like the XDs/ CM9 / PF9 / LC9 on one hand and the XD-9 subcompact or Glock 26 on the other hand. In a shtf scenario I would obviously much rather have the double stack subcompact, but I am also particularly concerned about printing since I wear T shirts year round down here in South Florida.

In sum, my question is: If you have found, in your experience, that concealing a full size 9mm is impracticable given the fact that you tend to wear tailored clothing and live in a warm climate, but you are not comfortable with a small .380, which 9mm would you buy, in the $400-500 range, to fill that gap? I prefer appendix carry IWB.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19, 9mm Gen 3 if you can find one, Gen 4, if not. Or S&W M&P Compact 9mm.

Dont worry much about printing. People look, but they do not see. Amazing, but true.

Distinguished Member
    Walther PPS but hold one first, trigger location kinda awkward.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

If your a fan of the Xd line go get a sub compact. Otherwise go trade your guns for a glock 19 & 26 as far as a double stack. If you want a single stack go get a shield.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand why the current gun is hard to conceal because of the 4" barrel. A sub compact is only going to be at the most 1" shorter, and the barrel is enclosed in the holster inside of you pants. Before looking for a new gun, I'd look at how your carrying first.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The Glock-26 would be very dependable, and easily concealable.
    If you like bigger holes, pick up and 'hold' the Glock-36 (.45).

BTW, that P-3AT is a great little BUG...don't discount it.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You need to listen to Evan Marshal. Learn to dress around your Gun. I also carry in the Apendix position for my main carry gun. It doesn't matter if I'm in Florida or Ohio. I haven't worn a Tuck in Shirt in 15 years. I carry 2 Guns every day all day. 3 Summers ago I carried a Glock 21 and my LCR357 just to show people in our CCW Classes how much can be hidden by a shirt. I carried the Glock 21 for 2 months. I like clip on IWB Holsters so I can change positions. Apendix, Crossdraw or behind the Hip. It just takes practice. For the last 2+ years I have carried a SP101 and a LCR357. If I want to go with a little less weight I use a 442 and the LCR.
    Snub44 likes this.

I have little experience with single-stack 9mm, but from what I've read, my top choices would be s&w Shield, Ruger LC9, and Walther PPS. Probably the Shield.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Glock 19, 9mm Gen 3 if you can find one, Gen 4, if not. Or S&W M&P Compact 9mm.

Dont worry much about printing. People look, but they do not see. Amazing, but true.
    ^^^This!^^^
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand why the current gun is hard to conceal because of the 4" barrel. A sub compact is only going to be at the most 1" shorter, and the barrel is enclosed in the holster inside of you pants. Before looking for a new gun, I'd look at how your carrying first.
    Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Archer, I think the issue involves your carry method more than your pistol choice.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    + 1 for the Glock 26.

I wear shorts, sandals, and an un-tucked t-shirt, polo shirt, or Hawaiian shirt during the summer. I carry a full size 1911 at 3:00 o'clock and a spare magazine at 9:00 o'clock on my belt. I also pocket carry a Springfield XDS-45 and a spare magazine. When I go to the gym, I leave the 1911 in the safe and just pocket carry the XDS-45.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

I can carry a full size 9mm (CZ 75B) under a Hawaiian styled shirt. I always choose a darker color with lots of design. It does not noticeably print. That being said, there's nothing wrong with a .380 for self defense. If you find your kel tec hard to shoot, practice more. good luck

DSCN4718c.jpgDSCN4719c.jpg Ruger Sr40C in a 3speed Holster this is what i wear in Gulf Coast Texas 95% of the time. from the time i awake till I go to sleep. If I had to get dressed up (Office type attire) I'd probably opt for a good gun belt and a tuckable AIWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links