Thinking of getting a Sig 229, ruger lcr, or charter arms bull dog

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a Sig 229, ruger lcr, or charter arms bull dog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been thinking of buying one, I carry a 1911 RIA in .38 right now and kinda want to expand my selection of "what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thinking of getting a Sig 229, ruger lcr, or charter arms bull dog

Thinking of getting a Sig 229, ruger lcr, or charter arms bull dog

So I've been thinking of buying one, I carry a 1911 RIA in .38 right now and kinda want to expand my selection of "what should I carry today?" I prefer hearing from first hand experience, but any info is welcomed.

2. Remove Ads

I've handled all 3 and love the sig and ruger (seriously looking at the LCR .357), but am a bit bubious of the charter, however when the .45acp revolver comes out I'd probably risk it to buy one as i carry a 1911 in .45 myself.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Also any .45 will be considered, but please no glocks or anything like them (no hammer, and made out of plastic), they're just not for me.

THe LCR is a polymer framed revolver like Glocks and the Sig 229 is a polymer pistol also.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

VIP Member
    I have a 229 in DAK and in SA/DA SAS, both in .40 cal. Different triggers but both shoot great. The latter is my preferred CCW, I often CC it in a kangaroo carry.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

i knew the lcr is, but the 229 is as well? been way to long since i held one.

I have no problem with polymer frames even tho my EDC is a gov1911

Quote Originally Posted by WINTEJER000 View Post
    THe LCR is a polymer framed revolver like Glocks and the Sig 229 is a polymer pistol also.
    229 is all steel. Polymer choices from Sig: P290, P250, and P2022. I have a couple versions of P250 and the SC in 9 is my EDC.

As to your OP, you're looking at a pretty wide range of characteristics.

VIP Member
    You might want to look into the CZ line of guns. If your looking for full size the 75B is a good option. If your looking for a compact the PCR, Compact, P-01 or P-06 fills the bill. If your interested in a sub compact the RAMI will do the job.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    229 is all steel. Polymer choices from Sig: P290, P250, and P2022. I have a couple versions of P250 and the SC in 9 is my EDC.

As to your OP, you're looking at a pretty wide range of characteristics.
    my bad i must have had bad info from my LGS, They actually tried to steer me away from the Sig

229 is a stainless steel slide and alloy frame.
    I suggest staying away from that LGS.
    sensei2 likes this.

The P229 is definitely a metal framed gun. As such, it is a bit hefty, but otherwise a great gun. I love mine! Smooth and easy to shoot and I have little to no concern regarding reliability. Sigs do like to be well lubricated. Forget the other guns because you've got a much more important question to answer: Which P229 should you get?

2012-12-06_10-57-45_54.jpg

Have no experience with the others, but I love my lcr, wouldn't trade it for the other options. Mine's a .357, which is a bit more metal and a bit less plastic, and about 5 ounces heavier than the .38 special version; so .38 shoots nicely through it.

If you're looking to expand your carry options, one nice thing about the lcr is that it can be realistically pocket carried with a good holster.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

229, put it in your hand, feel how it just welcomes a perfect grip. Once I grabbed my first one, it was over, it went home with me. Poly 229? Uh, no. Sig is far more of a quality gun than your other options.
    Curzyk likes this.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son's duty gun is a P229R. After 2500 rounds in a two-day course (and I don't know how many previously) it started to misfeed. A new recoil spring put it back into action. That's a lot of rounds on a recoil spring in 2 days! He loves the gun and is deadly accurate with it in his courses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links