I'm about done with Smith & Wesson anything, exept revolvers...

This is a discussion on I'm about done with Smith & Wesson anything, exept revolvers... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe that's just some frustration talking, so here's the story: About a year ago, I bought a S&W E series 1911 - beautiful gun. The ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I'm about done with Smith & Wesson anything, exept revolvers...

Senior Moderator

Maybe that's just some frustration talking, so here's the story:

About a year ago, I bought a S&W E series 1911 - beautiful gun. The rail was no small part of my decision to buy it. Guess what - none of my Surefire lights would fit the rail. I called S&W and was told that they haven't found any lights that fit it yet????? But it doesn't stop there.

So I tuck my tail and hang up whimpering. Then a gritty, draggy trigger showed up. Well I took the gun apart, and it had the worst mess of a disconnector in it I have ever seen. The disconnector was clearly cast and very poorly cast at that. It had a seam down the center of the part and the halves were out of alignment. Well, I fixed that myself.

Then I get an M&P .45. As I shot it more and more I began to realize how heavy the trigger pull was. I measured it; sure enough it was like 8 lbs. I called S&W and they basically said, "Hmmm...".

Then I trade for an M&P AR-15. Well it was what I expected until I discovered the forend would rotate; not much, but it shouldn't at all. I called S&W. They sent me a shipping label to send the gun in. I traded it instead. Not just because of the moving forend, a Magpul forend fixed that, but it was a carbine length forend and I don't like that, and it had a fixed sight on the gas block and I don't like that so I traded it.

Then I bought an M&P VTAC - boy it is nice! FO sights stacked on top of night sights - they are great! But guess what? I realized the trigger felt heavy and measured it - 8 lbs! So I call S&W and they send me a shipping label. I get the gun back and a note says they adjusted the trigger and it meets their standards. I measured the trigger pull - 8 lbs, the same as it was when I sent it in. And, it was noted on the worksheet the reason I sent it in is because the trigger pull is 2 lbs too heavy.

As bad as I hate this, I think that's about it for me with S&W. I love the M&P handgun and I do have a CORE model that's everything it should be, but seeing all I've seen, I think I'm gonna just go with my Glocks for a while.
    fotomaker57 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, I like the older S&W's

If I could afford it my next auto would probably be a S&W 469
    kahrcarrier and bmcgilvray like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sorry to hear your having bad luck with them. The m&p line has Ben nothing short of lawless for me.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

I had to send my Shield 9mm in to S&W because it just would not feed and eject properly. they replaced a few parts and ground some material away from the barrel throat, also the dots on the sights fell out. Now , they did fix it and it has been great ever since but it was also one of the few guns I've bought brand spanking new. All the other used XD's and Glocks I've bought ran right from day one. Smith and Wesson customer service is great in the fact they pay for everything but once you send it to them there is no further communication between you and the technicians. I found that very frustrating because its a minimum of a 3 week process and they don't give you a run down before they send the gun back, It just shows up "finished" and you hope they met your expectations. M&P is a great line but I feel like they are one little notch off from being outstanding..It's a little discouraging because Its an American company and I would like to be able to speculate that its the "best" but its just not there yet
    HAGJewels likes this.

VIP Member
    You can find flaws in anything built by man. Lighten up a little and enjoy the process. If you like M&P pistols then find a good gunsmith. A heavy trigger is not a good reason to give up on a platform you like.

For the record I'm a Glock guy so come on over if you want. I just don't want you to be discouraged.
    Brad426 and Philly Boy like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've had a S&W Mdl 66 and a 686, .357 revolvers, and I liked them a lot. I know a lot of people really like their semi-auto handguns, and have had good experiences. At some point I have owned a 4506, 5906 and a 6904. One thing they all had in common is that right off the bat I didn't like the feel in the hand. Felt like I was holding a brick. I am not brand loyal or even picky about sidearms and figured I'd get used to that. I did to some extent, but I never got used to the other thing they all had in common: reliability issues. All 3 S&W semi-autos I have owned had regular FTF issues whether they were clean, dirty, mag full, mag half full, whatever. Roughly every other mag you could expect to be slamming the bottom of the mag trying to get it to feed and go into battery. I didn't do anything like get the feed ramps polished; maybe that would have helped. Luckily I lived in Arizona where you can just sell your guns and I had no problem finding people who wanted to buy them. Like I said, I'm not brand loyal (or disloyal) I will use anything that works. In my experience, S&W semi-auto pistols don't work, so I've never even considered picking up another one.

I don't know anything about their ARs, but the revolvers are fantastic.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You can find flaws in anything built by man. Lighten up a little and enjoy the process. If you like M&P pistols then find a good gunsmith. A heavy trigger is not a good reason to give up on a platform you like.

For the record I'm a Glock guy so come on over if you want. I just don't want you to be discouraged.
    It's a little more than finding flaws. This was 'flaws' in two M&Ps, they both had the same problem and S&W wouldn't make either of them right - not to mention the E series 1911 and M&P AR issues.

There's not much to enjoy when you're spending your time mailing guns in for repair only to get them back the same as before you sent them in.

I've got a number of gen 4 Glocks. I think I was one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any trouble from them.

It's hard to beat a Glock!
    FlaRon and glockman10mm like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    ...I like the older S&W's

If I could afford it my next auto would probably be a S&W 469
    I know what you mean. I have a Model 39-2 that's a safe gun. I don't want to shoot it because of what it is and S&W doesn't support it anymore. So if it breaks and it was something a gunsmith could not make or fix, it's down forever. I sure do like it though!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Pix? That is a very historic side arm. I can understand why you want to be careful with it.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Sorry you had prob. They were great wih me. Have had no probs with my revolvers shield was sent back they were outstanding sending me back a great gun.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    ...At some point I have owned a 4506, 5906 and a 6904. One thing they all had in common is that right off the bat I didn't like the feel in the hand. Felt like I was holding a brick. I am not brand loyal or even picky about sidearms and figured I'd get used to that. I did to some extent, but I never got used to the other thing they all had in common: reliability issues. All 3 S&W semi-autos I have owned had regular FTF issues whether they were clean, dirty, mag full, mag half full, whatever. Roughly every other mag you could expect to be slamming the bottom of the mag trying to get it to feed and go into battery. I didn't do anything like get the feed ramps polished; maybe that would have helped...In my experience, S&W semi-auto pistols don't work, so I've never even considered picking up another one.
    I have a 459 (I believe that's what it is). The Chattanooga Police carried those models for years and years and years, and may still for all I know. I'm not aware that they were problematic but they may have been.

Two instructors at one of my Blackwater classes carried S&W semis - boy could they shoot with them, especially one of them. Seems like he did mention they had some problems with them, but I can't remember the details.

I don't shoot or carry my 459 so I really can't speak to it's reliability.

And I suspect there are many, many M&Ps out there that are working just fine. Mine function flawlessly, it's just that one of my favorites that I want to carry, the earth colored VTAC has much too heavy of a trigger for me.

You've got me curious. A local gunsmith here carried one of the S&W semis on the 'force' and served as a gunsmith for his unit as I recall, I'll ask him if he had a lot of problems with them just out of curiosity.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Pix? That is a very historic side arm. I can understand why you want to be careful with it.
    Yep! I believe it's pretty much the grand-daddy of the DA/SA semi.

I'll have to take some pics and post them. Now let's see where'd I put my white cotton gloves???

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    I had to send my Shield 9mm in to S&W because it just would not feed and eject properly.
    Sorry you are having issues Tangle! Sap, I had the exact same issue with my Shield. They sent it back and it works fine now.

It's not just S&W or the M&P line. I think the pressure to produce is so high that production is too rushed. The demand is outstripping the quality we expect. However S&W is good for getting any issues resolved.
    Tangle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Each person has their own experiences.

One of my safes is full of S&W handguns. I have never had a problem with any of them. My EDC is a full frame S&W 1911 and it has been flawless in looks, dependability and accuracy for several years. Sure, I paid good money for it from their custom shop but people get what they pay for.

If Glocks work for you, fine. Bet a Glock will not increase in value while you own it but S&W guns do. I have a S&W 25-5 that is worth three times what I paid for it. A guy offered me $150 more for one of my S&W 1911 guns a few days ago.

Not one of my Glocks are now worth more than I paid for them and they do not get the attention at the range as do the metal S&W guns.

But it is up to each person to decide what they are happiest with and that is why there are different brands in just about everything.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have a 4566 and a 6906, both of which I really enjoy shooting. I handled an M&P .45 and just didn't warm up to it at all. I prefer my Glock 30. To each his own.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links