40 cal - Sig or HK?

This is a discussion on 40 cal - Sig or HK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a full sized pistol in .40 cal and I've narrowed it down to a few choices based on some research and ...

View Poll Results: Which gun?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sig P226

9 17.31%
  • Sig P229

21 40.38%
  • HK USP

9 17.31%
  • HK P30

11 21.15%
  • HK P30L

2 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 40 cal - Sig or HK?

40 cal - Sig or HK?

I'm looking to get a full sized pistol in .40 cal and I've narrowed it down to a few choices based on some research and feedback. Here is what I'm looking at:

Sig P226
    Sig P229
    HK USP
    HK P30
    HK P30L

In terms of reliability, accuracy, quality and durability what would you recommend, out of the box?

2. Remove Ads

Five way tie, man.

Pick your size. I like SIGs myself, but H&Ks are just as good.
    Darkshark likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    the USP is perhaps the softest shooting .40 i have ever encountered. and it is offered in many fire control configurations. i personally dont like the batman grip on the P30. i prefer grips that don't have finger grooves.

SIGs are great too, the metal frame is nice, and the decocker is probably the best on the market. grip tends to be a bit larger but i really like the grip texture.

either way you wont be disappointed.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

H&K p30 or p30L by far. I would go with the p30L if you want full size. I had a p30 9mm and sold it. I regret that every single day. get a p30L LEM trigger. you will have a light double action only trigger, very light, and shorter reset. the P30 ( in my opinion) is far superior to the USP. its ergonomics are orgasmic. you can adjust the back strap and the side of the grips in 3 different ways each independent of each other. it is a truly ambi pistol (the USP isn't). the mag release is WAAAAY better. you can release the mag with your trigger finger. the quality is superb. accuracy is great.

look at it this way. the p30 is the evolution of the hk pistols. it is somewhat similar to the hk45 but in an improved manner(I am talking about engineering wise.

I'd probably go with a Sig but you really can't go wrong with any of those

Get the 229R and a 357 Sig barrel for it, I saw a Texas Ranger (the real kind not the baseball team) at a local cop shop the other day who was carrying a stainless slide 229 in a brown leather OWB pancake holster that perfectly matched his belt and boots. With his khakis, shirt, tie and hat it looked pretty badass.

That's a hard choice! It depends on what you're planning to use the pistol for and the size of your hands. As previously noted the USP has a captive double spring recoil reduction system that makes them among the softest shooting guns out there. The USP has the best trigger group of any HK gun (except probably the P7). It's modular and easy to change- you can go from LEM to SA/DA very easily. For flexibility it's hard to beat. You can run the gun in Condition One and for $10 you can swap in a detent plate #9 to remove the decock function from the safety. With the Match Trigger it's no contest, USP for the win. That said the USP lacks removable back straps and is a good sized gun. If you don't like how it fits there's very little you can do about it. Plus if you want to mount a light or laser please note that the gun predates the modern 1913 rail, meaning you'll need a rail adapter. The USP was designed originally around the .40 S&W, unlike other guns that were created in 9mm and beefed up to run forty. You could probably run $100,000 worth of ammo through it without wearing it out.

The P30 is ergonomically amazing! Truly SOTA. Mine is a P30S with the safety, so it can be run Cocked-and-Locked. You can't easily convert the gun back and forth from the LEM trigger, though. I haven't handled the P30L but it's basically the same gun with a bit longer slide and barrel so it should be great. Both version have a standard rail.

I'd say if you want the gun just for range use and self defense, go with the USP. The recoil is light and the gun is bomb-proof, probably the most overbuilt gun you can buy. You can get factory mags that hold 28 rounds for the USP40, too. If you want to CCW the sidearm, the P30 is a better bet. Although it doesn't look that much smaller on paper it conceals much, much better. If it matters to you there are more aftermarket sight options for the USP than the P30. USP mags are polymer while P30/P30L mags are steel. The P30 is probably the most customizable sidearm out there. The grip has three panels you can swap out; the back strap and both side panels can be changed for an incredible array of possible fits. If you can't make the P30 fit your hand, nothing will fit you!

The Sigs are great guns but not my cup of tea. I don't like SA/DA where the first shot is DA. The HKs can be both be had in versions you can carry cocked-and-locked or with LEM versions that don't have a safety lever and have the same trigger pull from shot to shot. To me that's the great virtue of their designs.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Get the 229R and a 357 Sig barrel for it, I saw a Texas Ranger (the real kind not the baseball team) at a local cop shop the other day who was carrying a stainless slide 229 in a brown leather OWB pancake holster that perfectly matched his belt and boots. With his khakis, shirt, tie and hat it looked pretty badass.
    Texas Rangers are "badass" no matter what they're carrying!

Never carried or shot HK but own and have carried Sig p239 & p229 and they are fine pistols and greater shooters! The number of agencies that carry p229/226s speaks volumes about them! I keep p229 in 357 Sig with Crimson Trace grips in my nightstand! Awesome Weapon!!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member
    Never shot any of them, but if it was me I'd probably go HK. If your already in those price ranges I'd just get the more expensive one - plus most people I read about owning HK's say the worth the extra dollars. One day I'll find out for myself.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    HK P30 or P30L

HKP30Wallpaper.jpg

Here are their test results:

91,622 Rounds
    513 Hours of shooting
    133 Range Trips
    356 over Days
    15 Different types of ammo

www.hk-usa.com

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Glock 22...just kidding

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've always had a P229 around and by replacing the chunky standard grip with Hogue G10's they just feel perfect for me. Between your choices, there isn't a loser; I would rather have a barrel length ~ 4", excluding the P226 and P30L, that's personal preference though.
    GhostMaker likes this.

VIP Member
    Sig P226 elite over HK any day of the week. You get an all steel firearm with a superior trigger.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by AWar77 View Post
    I'm looking to get a full sized pistol in .40 cal and I've narrowed it down to a few choices based on some research and feedback. Here is what I'm looking at:

Sig P226
    Sig P229
    HK USP
    HK P30
    HK P30L

In terms of reliability, accuracy, quality and durability what would you recommend, out of the box?
    Using the qualifiers you listed, any of these 5 will serve very well. However, they are all quite different. You need to use other qualifiers to choose the correct one for you.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Sig. Only because that is what I have and prefer. Both are fine weapons.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links