Gen 4 Glock 23 Range Report

This is a discussion on Gen 4 Glock 23 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a chance to finally get a good range session in with my new Gen 4 G23 today. Man am I impressed! I used to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gen 4 Glock 23 Range Report

Had a chance to finally get a good range session in with my new Gen 4 G23 today. Man am I impressed! I used to hate Glocks, but after owning them, I began to like them quite a bit. But my Gen 3 23, and Gen 3 27 were a handful and I was never very accurate with them. So I bought this Gen 4 and went to work.

First, I stippled the frame. I have another thread about this you can research. Long story short, like it or not, it is VERY useful. My range is indoors without A/C and in Bama it is 90+ degrees with high humidity from May till October. Today was no different and even though hot sweaty hands were with me, the gun never shifted in my hand like my older Glocks sometimes do. ROCK SOLID. I think this stippling along with the new dual recoil spring assembly in the Gen 4 is what makes it so easy to shoot. The recoil impulse is very easy compared to other .40's. I was shooting 180gr loads, so I know they are softer, but still, it was very easy to shoot the hot 165gr Gold Dots too. I like very much.

Reliability was just as all Glocks tend to be, perfect. Intentional limp wrists cycled fine, left hand, right hand, two hand, whatever, perfect. I even shot a box of OLD and somewhat corroded old WWB's I found in the safe. Never a hiccup. Even so, I did some double feed drills and purposely set up smoke stacks just for practice.

Accuracy. Here is where I was very suprised. I had a set of Trijicon Bright and Toughs installed yesterday for $95 out the door. They are substantial enough I don't worry about them breaking, and they sight picture is very nice. I have been using and really digging the XS Big dots, but I shoot these better and faster so I am happy. My first shots at 7 yards were decent and grouped pretty well. But my rear sight was not all the way centered, so I had the range guy tweak it some and things got even better. My 7 and 10 yard targets I was shooting three groups, the head, the chest, and the -1 at the bottom. The 10 yard one being some faster shooting. The 12 yard was center mass only medium speed, with some double taps and so forth.

All in all, I was impressed with the Glocks handling, accuracy and overall performance. I was so happy I bought it some new leather.

150 rounds in the books, a new holster, and I came home un-hurt. Can you have a better range day?
    Attached Images
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    If that target were a bad guy we would have one less in the world. That's some good shooting there and I like the stipple job as well.
    smolck likes this.

Gen4 23 is next on my list for sure. Just have to wait for one to show up at one of the local shops. If I see a gen 4 19 first, I wont be able to say no though. If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose 23 over 19, besides just wanting a .40. The reason I ask is my choice will be made based on which I see first, but what if they are both for sale at the same time? It could take hours to decide.

I have a Gen 4 G23.....One thing to keep in mind with this last ammo shortage 40 cal ammo was much more availiable than 9mm. At least for me.

Smolck: Good to see you and the 40 are taking a liking to each other.
    smolck and ironmike86 like this.

I also have the Gen 4 23. Love it. Good to hear you had a great range day, and enjoy your new pistol!

Also, nice stipple job.

-----
    Please excuse any typos - sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk.

Stand up for your rights, people! Wake up!
    smolck likes this.

Very nice. I have the Gen 4 19 and 26 and I agree with ya, the new recoil springs are great. Nice review and stippling BTW.
    smolck likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    Gen4 23 is next on my list for sure. Just have to wait for one to show up at one of the local shops. If I see a gen 4 19 first, I wont be able to say no though. If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose 23 over 19, besides just wanting a .40. The reason I ask is my choice will be made based on which I see first, but what if they are both for sale at the same time? It could take hours to decide.
    What Pawatch said is the main reason I chose the 23. I used to have a G19 but when the ammo shortage hit, 9mm was impossible to get so I sold all my 9's for .40 . I never had an issue getting .40. I also like the ballistics of the .40 too. Just something about launching a 165gr bullet at the same speed as a 9mm 124gr bullet makes me feel all warm inside. But the main reason was availability.
    Christopher67 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I am in love with my Gen 4 Glock 23. It is my favorite handgun.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I used to hate Glocks, but after owning them, I began to like them quite a bit.:

How can you hate them before you own them?
    dripster and glockman10mm like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

How can you hate them before you own them?
    Pretty easily. I thought they we're ugly, didn't like the trigger, couldnt shoot them all that well, fan boys, etc.

Then one day I just started to see them differently and I bought one. Really like having them now.
    ironmike86 likes this.

I was really impressed with the way my g4 g23 soaked up the recoil, It really is a joy to shoot with power to boot. no im not a poet I just like the gun
    Nice Job Smolck

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Pretty easily. I thought they we're ugly, didn't like the trigger, couldnt shoot them all that well, fan boys, etc.

Then one day I just started to see them differently and I bought one. Really like having them now.
    Okay.
    I get ugly, didn't like trigger, did not shoot them well.
    I thought you had not even shot one, but did not like.

I understand being turned off by fan boys comments that are based on emotion rather than logic or features; for example: 1911 fan boys comments about Glocks not having a soul, as if a 1911 does.
    I do not like a 1911 regardless of the features. I have 1911's but they have "essential" features including a beavertail grip safety and night sights; take those features away and my interest goes away with them. I've owned traditional narrow tang grip safety 1911's and they are quickly painful for me to shoot. Night sights are a non-negotiable on any SD pistol for me; I've had night sights on SD pistols since 1992.

I buy a pistol for its features or lack thereof.

I like the consistent trigger on a Glock, as opposed to a DA/SA. I've had Sigs (220, 226) and the DA/SA trigger difference bothered me, SA always felt too light. I even sent one of them back to Sig and requested the SA trigger pull be increased, they sent it back unchanged since it was "within spec".
    I like to be able to install or replace the night sights myself, no problem on a Glock with the Glockmeister sight tool.
    The Glock is free of features that I find undesirable like a magazine disconnect, or internal lock.

I suppose I could have been labeled a Glock "fan boy" until my posts expressing my complete distain at their use of MIM.
    At least the Glock is popular enough that aftermarket steel replacement parts are available.

No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I am beginning to see the value of the Glock in 40 S&W. The versatility of available drop in barrels(9mm and 357 sig(if I get a wild hair) that can be placed in the Glock 23/22.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I'm really liking my stable of Gen 4 Glocks, which include a 17, 27, & 30.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    I'm really liking my stable of Gen 4 Glocks, which include a 17, 27, & 30.
    Ever compare the G27 gen 3 to the Gen 4? The Gen 3 already had a dual recoil spring so I assum from a shooters point of view they are the same, am I right? Never much cared for the way the G27 shot, it was HARSH. As a result I shot it poorly. Is the new 27 any better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links