Thought process before purchase

This is a discussion on Thought process before purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious what others go through in trying to decide what guns to purchase. For those that have the means to purchase anything you want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Thought process before purchase

Thought process before purchase

I'm curious what others go through in trying to decide what guns to purchase. For those that have the means to purchase anything you want and as many as you want I am happy for you but I am looking for answers from those that have limited resources or spousal limitations that mean you have to be more specific about what you buy. Are you wanting only carry guns? How about just the defensive guns you need like Shotgun Pistol Rifle. How about so called safe queens that you collect but do not carry or shoot much at all? If you have to trade something off to get something else how do you decide which to sell?

I purchased a Walther PPQ40 a while back which after break in and me getting used to something other than a 1911 I like to shoot. Problem is I bought it with the intention of an alternate carry gun. I now find that it is difficult for me to conceal other than if I have a coat or jacket on which means I will not be able to carry it in warm weather. So now I could trade it for something easier to carry or maybe keep it and sell something else that I rarely shoot.
    My full size Kimber is worth some bucks and I do not shoot it much at all since I carry my 3" and have focused most of my range time and ammo on practicing with what I carry. It is a very nice gun that I told myself I would never sell just hand it down to my son after I die or am to old to shoot whichever comes first. Also have a shotgun and an AR that I very seldom shoot but I like the idea of having both just in case TSHTF. Anyway pretty sure the PPQ is going away to be replaced by a Ruger SR40C which I think is just small enough that I can carry and gives me a higher capacity option if I want it. How do you decide?

2. Remove Ads

I love good looking custom guns but no safe queens, if I cant cc it its gone.
    USM1976 and MJB_17 like this.

I am a new to shooting at 63. My friend took me last Nov to a range for the first time in my life. He also being a Ruger fan exposed me to a few of their fine guns. That day I shot his LCP, SR9 & SR40c. (He has an LCR but won't let anyone shoot it). I liked the concept of the SR40c. That is what I carry now. Would i like to have a Walther PPQ too Youbet. The Reality is I would like a second handgun. I wouldn't mind having a second SR40C (This time with a light attachment) or a SR9C. I have been reading so much good reviews of the LC's (LCP, LC380, LC9, LCR). I could see myself having one of those to carry as a BUG or primary pocket carry. It's nice having a collection , but your right, except for those deemed collectible, it's smart to thin the herd sometimes.

For myself, it must match my criteria.

I'm willing to be a bit bold, out there, hunting for possible matches, instead of merely relying on something I've shot 50 times and have proven works prior to my acquiring it. Which means, I occasionally get hold of something that ends up not quite measuring up. At which point, it's gone. I only look for carry guns, or ones I'd shoot regularly. No "safe queens" or display units, for me.

Prefer great natural pointing, shootability, fair accuracy, easy manipulation of controls, prefer great ergonomics if all the rest is met, and prefer fair to good concealability factors (size, weight). Must end up being highly reliable, else it's gone. Dislike poor support by gunsmiths and the aftermarket. I'm all for something that can do double-duty, say as a range monkey and carry unit. But that need not be the case. My goal is, first and foremost, for a quality defensive gun. If it happens to cover other areas, be smaller/lighter, be more accurate, great.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Since I reload, a gun I'm interested in must be a caliber I currently reload. I don't want the expense of having to add new equipment. Usually, I will see a gun at my lgs and get a feel for it. It has to feel good in the hand. If it does and the price seems good, I'll do research and read as many reviews as I can. I'll also watch as many youtube videos that may have been published. The gun has to be one that will lend itself to cc and it has to be one that I will enjoy shooting. If everything works out, I'll buy the gun. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Very simple.

"Will I have to smuggle it into the house, or does my wife work tonight?"

Want has a way of overriding reason, especially when I have money to burn.
    Stoveman, Badey, smolck and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    I'm all over the place.

Does it feel good? Yep. Done.

Is it something I've always wanted but couldn't find and now the LGS has one? Yep. Done.

Is it something I can carry easily? Yep. Done.

Is it in a caliber that I already have? Yep. Done.

Is it a tackdrivin' .22 that's a boatload of fun? Yep. Done.

Is it a classic wheelgun? Yep. Done.

Is it that time of the month? Yep.... woah, hold off a little, then Done.
    maxwell97 and kaikane0812 like this.

Must be reliable and easy to clean. Ammo must be available. Affordable to shoot. Versatility a must. I own a Glock 19 and 26. I also have a Ruger 10/22 Lasermax.

Already have anything I need so any news ones become a different game.
    1. What is it for
    2. If for CC how will I carry it
    3. Caliber I want
    4. Of all the options that fits my needs what fits me best
    5. Is it American made By an American owned company Deal breaker
    6. If it was not already a quality weapon it would not be on the list
    7. Value received for money spent not always a deal breaker wants come it to play here.
    8. Enough messing around I'll take that one ring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Very simple.

"Will I have to smuggle it into the house, or does my wife work tonight?"

Want has a way of overriding reason, especially when I have money to burn.
    Lol!! Exactly!!
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Hmm, thats nice. Hmmm. I like it....I'll take it!

Sadly, if it is not a glock or some otber tupperware, I have a hard time finding a handgun not in my criteria....it is a self control issue. :-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have consolidated down to nine calibers of handguns from twelve since the first of the year. I sold all of my guns and ammo in .380 AP, 9mm, and 460 S&W magnum. I have been buying guns since 1962. On some purchases I study, compare, and think about it for months or even years. Sometimes, I walk in the LGS and they stick a gun in my hand and I say SOLD! My issue is not my wife who also carries. She tells me I need to go buy more guns and ammo every time she sees Obama, Reid, or Pelosi on television. My issue is I have one very full safe and I refuse to buy a second safe because that would lead to safe number three and safe number four. If I buy something, something else has to go. I found a second generation (1959) Colt SAA revolver in .45 Colt that I have wanted for many years, so I bought it and sold my Ruger Blackhawk single-action in .45 Colt. I pocket carried a Sig P238 HDW in .380 AP for three years. I replaced it with a Springfield XDS-45 recently for pocket carry. I found an FNH FNX-45 that I really like which replaced a Glock G21 SF .45 ACP for rural carry. I have no safe queens. I shoot all of my guns. Some more than others.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

For me, as i have a limited collection, the primary reason to purchase a gun is to fill some need that's not met, or substantially improve some performance aspect of my collection.

For example, I don't have a shotgun - I know, it's crazy, and should be remedied to fill a hole in home defense. However, prior to that, I'd prefer to improve my carry options to increase ammo capacity. So, a smallish pistol is a likely option, the sr9c being high on the list. It also offers a mounting rail, and I'd like that for a light for HD use. But then, I could also attack the problem with a second snub .38 as backup, which offers the benefits of two guns... And many other factors play in as well, not least my available cash.

In your situation, it seems likely that a trade would be in your benefit, by giving you a significantly better carry option. But, both the ppq and Kimber are high-value guns I'd find it hard to part with. I guess my only advice would be to figure out what carry setup really works for you, and prioritize that over other considerations. Also, IMHO, if you can afford it without killing your budget, keeping those and buying a new gun is a good option. I believe the economy is going to get much worse over the next 10-20 years, and if nothing else, a gun will hold its value much better than cash in the bank. Sort of like buying gold that can shoot.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My thought process before my next purchase? I'm still fairly new to the handgun thing. I've been in the U.S. for 10 years, but was only able to buy my first handgun last year, a Gen 4 G17. At this time of my life I'm working on getting rid of 'dumb debt' and we're expecting young'n number 2 in a few months, so another gun will happen when I'm able financially. I like to research stuff and I have researched heavy what I want next, and it has come down to 'common sense'. Biggest thing being price. I am able to buy Blue Label Glocks, and I really like my G17, and I have a good amount of 9mm ammo (for my needs) thus far, and I have a good holster, and I have ordered a mag carrier. So 'common sense' says to buy a Blue Label G26 of which I can share ammo, mags, holster and mag carrier with my other Glock. There's other pistols of the same manual of arms, and similar size, (and I have toyed with buying a revolver next...but that will have to wait) but the G26 simply makes sense. I know...boring and practical. When I can have 'extra funds' (after the bills, and family needs are met), someday I'll buy a 'just want to have' gun(s) such as a 1911. Until then the G17 (and soon to be G26) will be it for a while as they will fit all my carry requirements.
    sparkykb likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Whenever a friend asks for advice in choosing a new (first?) gun, I ask what they want to do with it. I usually get: super accurate, totally reliable, fun to shoot at the range, small, lightweight, and easy to carry, home defense, and a high capacity.

Oh, good. You should get a Ruger Mark III, a loaded Springfield 1911, a HK USP .45, a Glock 17, and a S&W 642! How much do you want to,spend?

Under $300.

When I bought my 1911, my criteria was a quality 1911 under $1,000. When i bought my CZ, I wanted a hammer fired range gun that could fit into carry sometimes. When I bought my EDC I wanted a thin, reliable .40...

Yes, each gun has a niche. All firearms compromise because of physics. No gun does it all, but some do lots. Your PPQ is a great gun that fills a great role. If it is not the role you use, list your criteria. It's o.k. to own more than one gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links