Consolidate or diversify caliber choices?

This is a discussion on Consolidate or diversify caliber choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When buying / adding additional handguns do you make any attempts to stay with one caliber or limit them to not have to stock several ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Consolidate or diversify caliber choices?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Consolidate or diversify caliber choices?

When buying / adding additional handguns do you make any attempts to stay with one caliber or limit them to not have to stock several different ones?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Well, I dont think you CAN have just one caliber. For primary carry guns I go with 9mm. However, I often pocket carry, and for that I use a 380. Then there is the whole thing of using .22s to practice with instead of your go ammo.
    ironmike86 and ArmyCop like this.

I try to have a diverse selection, but not go overboard. I've been very tempted to get a 40, but one thing holding me back is buying a new caliber when I already have 9mm, 45 and 357/38 to worry about.

That said, having my current calibers gives me some peace of mind, knowing that most handgun ammo I can find, I can shoot through something. And they each have their own benefits.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    I try to limit to calibers which I already own.

Currently:

9mm

As much as I like new guns I won't be purchasing any in .40, .357 SIG, 45GAP, etc...
    WHEC724 likes this.

I try to manage it carefully, avoiding "odd" calibers. Started with 22 LR, 12 GA, 9 mm, added 45 ACP, then 44 Mag, then 7.62 and now 30-30 and 5.56..................I'd drop the 44 Mag though..........Too many makes my head hurt

And I forgot 410 Ga and 38...........

Initially I stuck with 22 LR and 9 mm. A case of 1,000 9's was $99.80 at Academy in Plano back when.............

I thought that by now you would have made a decision:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I try to limit calibers and keep all my serious use guns from the same "family." 9mm Glocks for me. I only have one manual of arms to train with, one caliber to buy, lots of spare parts can work in all, and mags can be used between pistols.

I am not opposed to having additional choices though.

I do have a 1911 in .45 ACP so I have another caliber to choose from in case I can find .45 and no 9mm (which has been the case around here lately). I would like to purchase a Glock 23 (.40) and a Glock 30S (.45) in the future so I have concealable Glock platform pistols in alternate duty calibers. They wouldn't be shot much as my primary carry pieces would still be the 9mm's but they would be there if I needed them.

I haven't done this but just saying if your favorite caliber was the 40 S&W round you could buy the following in that choice: Full size semi, compact semi, subcompact, Charter Arms 40 S&W Revolver and a Bond Arms Derringer all chambered for the 40.
    .XX likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I haven't done this but just saying if your favorite caliber was the 40 S&W round you could buy the following in that choice: Full size semi, compact semi, subcompact, Charter Arms 40 S&W Revolver and a Bond Arms Derringer all chambered for the 40.
    Wonderful idea..... Mrs. Stove, what he said.
    ArmyCop likes this.

I have consolidated down to nine calibers of handguns from twelve calibers since the first of the year. I sold all of my handguns and ammo in .380 AP, 9mm, and 460 S&W magnum. I am down to six calibers of rifles. I sold my rifles and ammo in .458 Lott and .45/70 government.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I just remember the last post you had on this topic, and was wondering if you were still debating this.
    I have a memory like an elephant.

But to answer your question, if I were to simplify my collection, I would do it in a way that covered all of my needs.

A 22 rifle is the foundation of this for me.
    2nd would be a 12 gauge shotgun.
    3rd would be a Ruger BH Convertible chambered for 357/38 with a 9mm cylinder

And 4th would be a dedicated CC gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have many & need more!
    2-9mms
    2-.357sigs
    2-.357mags
    2-.40cal
    1-45acp
    1-12ga
    2-.410
    1-.223
    1-300wsm
    1-340wby
    2-22s
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

I've always understood a diverse portfolio reduces risk. I've taken that advice to heart. While my 401K has been in the toilet, my hand gun collection caliber wise has grown steadily. Not that I'm complaining....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've decided to pass on a .40 caliber at a great price because I don't feel like adding it to the .22, 9mm Mak, 9mm Para, and .45 ACP I have now. I'll probably regret it later.
    ArmyCop and Christopher67 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I just remember the last post you had on this topic, and was wondering if you were still debating this.
    I have a memory like an elephant.

But to answer your question, if I were to simplify my collection, I would do it in a way that covered all of my needs.

A 22 rifle is the foundation of this for me.
    2nd would be a 12 gauge shotgun.
    3rd would be a Ruger BH Convertible chambered for 357/38 with a 9mm cylinder

And 4th would be a dedicated CC gun.
    Just curious for opinions but for now I've decided to keep my 45acp semi & recently purchased Bond Arms 45acp and order a S&W 686 Plus 357 mag revolver. Decided to not only have 45 for everything but to keep it down to only two or three different ones.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links