Defensive Weapon Reliability

This is a discussion on Defensive Weapon Reliability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took a defensive pistol course this weekend. Most everyone there, including the instructors, were using either Glocks or Springfield XD's. One guy had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Defensive Weapon Reliability

Defensive Weapon Reliability

I took a defensive pistol course this weekend. Most everyone there, including the instructors, were using either Glocks or Springfield XD's. One guy had a FEG PA-63.

During the demos and the drills, the Glocks and Springfields performed absolutely flawlessly, but the FEG seemed to always have a misfeed, failure-to-fire, or who knows what. The only "malfunction" I had with my XD was when I failed to fully seat the magazine during an emergency reload, but I think we can safely chalk that one up to operator error (at least I got to practice the "tap and rack").

It really underscored to me the importance of selecting a high-quality, modern, and reliable weapon for defensive use.
    StormRhydr likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Wild Bill Hickok was quoted as saying "When I pull the trigger I've got to be sure." It seems just as true today.

Your post is one reason that I carry a Smith & Wesson J-frame.
    Chief1297, SWIll and Richard58 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Your post is one reason that I carry a Smith & Wesson J-frame.
    I carried a S&W Model 60 for over 20 years but as I aged, eye sight, reflexes etc. became a problem I changed to a XD, 12 rounds vs 5 rounds, to overcome my shortcomings.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I carried a S&W Model 60 for over 20 years but as I aged, eye sight, reflexes etc. became a problem I changed to a XD, 12 rounds vs 5 rounds, to overcome my shortcomings.
    I understand. At some point in time, I may have to change also. Around the house, I have an AR for backup. Thirty rounds will give an intruder something to think about.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Murphy's Law works 100% of the time unless you expect it to work 100% of the time. I carry a 1911 and a spare magazine on my belt plus a Springfield XDS-45 and a spare magazine in my pockets for urban carry. The 1911 gets swapped for an FNH FNX-45 or a Glock G20 SF 10mm plus two spare magazines for remote rural carry.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Wild Bill Hickok was quoted as saying "When I pull the trigger I've got to be sure." It seems just as true today.
    That's why they all carried Colts...
    BigJon10125 and glockman10mm like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Reliability:
    I make sure to shoot a "sufficient"* amount of the exact ammo I will carry in a pistol, using the magazines that will be carried.
    Any change whether it be ammo or magazine will require another shooting session to prove reliability.

*Sufficient depends.
    If the pistol has already proven 100% reliable with other HP ammunition then 50 consecutive trouble free rounds might be an acceptable minimum.
    In a new pistol it would be more like 100 - 150 rounds of carry ammo.
    Any malfunction starts the process over, unless I think it is the fault of a bad magazine / magazine spring.
    I'm more confident with 100 - 150 consecutive trouble free rounds of my carry ammo than 1,000 rounds of FMJ.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Reliability, simplicity, durability, and ease of training are some of the reasons that about 65% of the law enforcement agencies in the US carry Glocks.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Very rare to find a modern, normal sized, well made handgun that has issues. The M&P's, Glocks, Springers, CZ's, Sigs, etc all do what they are supposed to do when you pull the bang lever.

Training hard is for when they don't which CAN happen to anyone at anytime.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The three most important criteria for a concealed carry handgun:

1. Reliability. It must go bang every time you pull the trigger, and, just as important, only when you pull the trigger.
    2. It must be concealable enough that you will have it with you when you need it no matter where that is.
    3. You must be able to shoot it well enough to reliably hit an 8" paper plate from arms length to about 21'.

If it has those properties, everything else is just optional extras.

Fitch
    5lima30ret likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Very rare to find a modern, normal sized, well made handgun that has issues. The M&P's, Glocks, Springers, CZ's, Sigs, etc all do what they are supposed to do when you pull the bang lever.

Very well said...and I will add Beretta to that mix as well.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post

I would like to add my Bersa to that list that always goes - bang - when you pull the trigger.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Gotta keep plugging Bersa. Can't believe they're making money selling that well built of a gun at that price.

Now my story- I was nervous bringing my CZ compact to my CPL class. I knew it would be the only one on the firing line. There was a S&W J frame, a Glock, XD, and a few .22's (nobody bats an eye when a .22 misfires). So I wanted my oddball pistol to represent its heritage.

Good news; 100% and outshot the Sig. Tight groups made nice bragging rights, but the reliability was my only thought going into the class.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    That's why they all carried Colts...
    Actually there were a lot that carried the S&W Schofield revolver chambered in .44 Russian. Post Civil War the Starr and the Dance revolvers were quite popular as well.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links