I just tested my new 9mm pocket pistol

This is a discussion on I just tested my new 9mm pocket pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After carrying my LCP for a number of years, I decided I wanted a pocket pistol that was 9mm. I finally decided on a Kimber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I just tested my new 9mm pocket pistol

VIP Member

I just tested my new 9mm pocket pistol

After carrying my LCP for a number of years, I decided I wanted a pocket pistol that was 9mm. I finally decided on a Kimber Solo. I read both positive and negative reviews about them. With all of that in-mind I decided to go for it and see how I'd like a Solo. Pricey little devil.

Kimber says "For standard initial break-in, fire 24 rounds of factory-loaded premium hollow-poiont self-defense ammunition with bullet weights of 124-147 grains. They also state that "While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures which can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function".

So my son and I decided to try the Solo out this morning before it gets too hot here. I got 24 "precious" rounds from my stash of Winchester Ranger 147 grain HP's. We took turns firing the Solo at 6 rounds each. It functioned flawlessly, shot accurately, nice trigger, manageable recoil. However, hard to press mag release button.

Then I decided to try another 24 rounds, but use Winchester white box (115 grains). Pretty much the type of ammo that Kimber stated might cause problems. We took turns firing 6 rounds each. It functioned great. Admittedly 48 rounds total isn't much of a test, but initially I'm very very happy with it.

FWIW, it was NIB, the serial number is in the 113XXXX range, I haven't found an indication of any recalls. Other than the ironwood grips it is all factory right out-of-the-box. I'm carrying it in a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

I think it's a handsome gun... to me, highly reminiscent of the 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless.
    hkusp9f, rtbrown, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Im no fan of kimbers, but thats one very sweet looking gun. If its really reliable, Id certainly give it a look.

Is it light enough for pocket carry?
    rtbrown and hkusp9f like this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Well you now have 950 rounds before you'll need to replace the recoil spring! Hopefully you won't be at 980 when you need it for self-defense.

Otherwise a good firearm.
    ppkheat likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Congrats on the new pistol.
    rtbrown likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think it's a handsome gun... to me, highly reminiscent of the 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless.
    Thanks and funny that you mention that about the 1903. I do have a 1903 and just recently laid the Solo on top of it and posted a picture in this thread: Two pocket pistols, old vs new

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Im no fan of kimbers, but that's one very sweet looking gun. If its really reliable, Id certainly give it a look.

Is it light enough for pocket carry?

This is my first ever Kimber purchase. The LCP is hard to beat regarding it's physical sizes and weight of 9.65 oz; the Solo weighs in at 17.25 oz, so it is almost double in weight. The Solo is definitely thicker, but the other dimensions are just barely larger than the LCP. The extra weight hasn't been much of a hindrance or noticeable, and something I am willing to contend with to get a 9mm pocket pistol. I'm a farmer and typically wear cotton camo pants for work and the Solo rides in my pocket pretty well.

I haven't gotten rid of the LCP, and if I'm wearing some pants that the Solo won't work well in, I'll just switch to the LCP for that day.

I was just thinking about shooting the Solo today, and it shot very well for such a small gun. I'm pleased so far.
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Well you now have 950 rounds before you'll need to replace the recoil spring! Hopefully you won't be at 980 when you need it for self-defense.

Otherwise a good firearm.
    I quit counting at 1500 rounds and have yet to replace the spring.
    I do have a spare but see no need to replace it until I have a problem.
    I would like to say a word or two on the inevitable SOLO slamming and selecting the recommended ammunition.
    I shoot whatever I have thru mine--mostly 115 FMJ because it is cheap and it is what I can afford.
    I have NEVR had the FTF or FTE with this gun.
    I did take my son to the range a few weeks ago and let him shoot it.
    3 rounds in--FTE.
    Freaked me out to see it happen.
    I put another 2 dozen rounds thru--no problem.
    Handed it back to him and 3 rounds later FTF.
    FREAKED me out again and I put another 2 dozen thru it with no problems.
    I kind of wonder if grip and control of the recoil on this gun is more the problem than the reputation the gun seems to have.
    PPKHEAT--enjoy your SOLO and do like I did --test it out to your satisfaction and ignore the rep folks try to give it thru the old I heard-I read- someone I know told me BS.

Edit.
    One thing that kind of stuck in my mind.
    When my son shot the SOLO it gave him a pretty good slide bite on his second go round with it.
    The gun is small in my hand but it has never bit me.
    I kind of wonder if grip and recoil control do play a part on the SOLO rep for FTF /FTE?
    Aceoky likes this.

ppkheat, I did exactly what you did; I carried an LCP for years and switched to the Solo as soon as I was able to find one.

The Solo felt right the second I put it in my hand. I added Crimson Trace Lasergrips and carry it in a Desantis Super Fly pocket holster.

Congrats on your purchase.

VIP Member
    Cheef, I took a gamble on buying it and had not previously held one. Lucky! I think you are very correct about the grip and recoil control, and the good thing is that can probably be managed to improvement.

Sontag, thanks, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it shot for its size.

VIP Member
    That's a purdy gun. Hope she works out for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheef View Post
    I quit counting at 1500 rounds and have yet to replace the spring. I do have a spare but see no need to replace it until I have a problem.
    Interesting that you see no reason to replace the recoil spring but the manufacturer feels the need to tell the owners replace it? Good luck and stay safe!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Before I settled on my Kahr PM9 I had considered the Kimber Solo myself. I love the way it felt in my hand, how naturally it pointed and the trigger as well. However, the idea that the manufacturer advises using only 147gr HP ammo put me off. If only they could rectify that requirement I'm sure they would sell a whole lot more of them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    For CCW ammuntion I'd definitely use what they recommend, which is a premium self defense round, and they do give a weight range that varies at 124-147 grains. For target practice etc, it looks to me like it functions well outside those ranges, the cheap stuff we used was at 115 grains, 9 grains lighter than their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    For CCW ammuntion I'd definitely use what they recommend, which is a premium self defense round, and they do give a weight range that varies at 124-147 grains.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    For target practice etc, it looks to me like it functions well outside those ranges, the cheap stuff we used was at 115 grains, 9 grains lighter than their advice.
    Same here. I've shot hundreds of rounds that aren't on Kimber's "approved list" and I've had zero malfunctions so far.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

VIP Member
    I recently kind of stumbled into a Kimber Solo, and admittedly not a big Kimber fan I just could not walk away from this deal. Though it kind of pains me to say this, but it has been 100% reliable, very accurate and does what a pocket pistol should do. It has very round edges, and a great little safety that has a very positive click on and off.

It's about the closest thing to pocket carrying a 1911 that I have seen.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links