Subcompact -vs- compact is the difference enough?

This is a discussion on Subcompact -vs- compact is the difference enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After trying a few G-26,s and G-19,s and a G36 I found the difference not enough in ease of packing to make a difference. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subcompact -vs- compact is the difference enough?

After trying a few G-26,s and G-19,s and a G36 I found the difference not enough in ease of packing to make a difference. I found I could carry the G19 as easy as the G-26 and the G36 thinline and G23 as easy . To me there not pocket guns but beltguns OWB or IWB and the difference was not worth the 1/2". Although I had dropped the G36 in a winter coat pocket in a Uncle Mike pocket Holster a few times which is a primary J-frame country %95 of the time. Same with the Colt Commander and full size 1911. I found the 5" packed as good. Although the G26 and G-27 shot ok the grip was way short and the finger ex. on the mag base made it the same size as the compacts.

You have a point

I have the G19 and G23 and have handled the G26, G36, etc. The differences in size of these guns is fairly small, and in belt carry it may not matter very much which one you are trying to conceal. I suppose if you can get a G26/27 to fit in your pocket it will make a big difference, since the G19/23 will definitely not fit in any ordinary pocket.

I also note that the G26/27 are the same width as the G19/23, so you don't gain any advantage in width but only in slide and grip length when you carry one of the small Glocks. The Glock compacts (19/23) are trim, lightweight guns that conceal pretty well on the belt compared to some other alternatives. If I personally want to go to pocket carry I go all the way to a 642 revolver or equivalent, since the G26/27 are just too big for my pockets.

My Humble opinion

Carry the biggest gun you can comfortably pack and will NOT leave home because it's inconvienent.

I've thought the same thing which is why I am looking at another gun manufacturer to sometimes replace my G23 for my main carry. My issue is thickness especially for IWB.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

I find the grip hardest to conceal, so a subcompact is worth it for me. I like the P2000sk personally, it's small, but big enough to shoot comfortably as well.

It's a Grip Thing...

for me...that's what's hard to conceal. I find the Kimber Ultra easier to conceal that the Kimber Pro...
    In Glock, the G-36's thinner grip makes a difference for me...

OMO...your opinion may vary...

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If the grip length is important for your concealment, go with the 26.

I've carried both the Glock 27 and 26, mainly because for me if was the grip that was toughest to conceal. Length and thickness were of less consequence.

What doesn't make sense to me is buying the sub-compact and then adding an extension...if you're going to do that, simply guy the compact and be done with it....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I started off thinking a sub-compact was the way to go. I soon realized that there is not much of a difference between a sub-compact and a compact. My body type allows me to carry a compact with no problems. I prefer a compact over a sub any day. For what ever reason I shoot better with the 4" barrels. Go figure.

I switch between a G19 and G23 for carry. I have a G27 and a P2000SK but they see little to no use.

When Glock announce the G26/27, I immediately requested one for departmental T&E, and I had one in my hands from them about 6 months before they hit the market. The accuracy amazed me and it functioned flawlessly. At 25 yards I found equally as accurate as it's larger counterparts. I purchased a G27 as soon as they came out. I started carrying IWB and found it a breeze to conceal since I'd been carrying a G23. Then I started doing the real tests with: drawing and shooting from concealment on a timer. I hold priority with accurate first shot draw times in my training, and I could not acheive as accurate first shot hits as quick with the G27. The stubby grip was too short to get an adequate hold on. Accuracy was less in rapid fire drills because I was constantly adjusting my grip. And my split-times between shots were greater. I added a Pearce grip extension, which improved things somewhat but made the grip the same length as the G23; which I switched back to since the grip was the only thing I had to worry about carrying IWB. I figured why give up the extra capacity?
    If you are carrying as a BUG in an ankle holster, or pocket carry, I think the G26/27 has it's place. Otherwise I'd recommend the G23 based on my experience cited.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

find a gun that you will carry and not leave at home or in the car. for me on off duty days it is the j-frame and/or the p3at. both are great guns. the p3at is eazy to carry, no matter what you got on. the kel tec belt clip is the best or just drop it in your pocket with an uncle mikes pocket holster. i put a clip draw on my j-frame last week after 29 years using rubber bands on the grip. so far the clip draw has work, with only two times the gun has work itself up and off my pants when i was bending down.

1/2 an inch means a lot in concealment and comfort to me.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Here the three are together... you decide.

I prefer the 27 with a Peirce 0+ extension myself. Handles well and darn accurate too.

Here are my sub-compact (P11) vs my compact (6946). It does make a difference in size and ability to carry.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I went with the 19

I just got a GLOCK and decided that the smaller size wasn't worth it. IMHO, if you are a Cop and need a BUG then it makes since, I have read quite a few posting with people carrying 26/27 in an ankle holster.

One of the reasons I went from a G23 to a G30 was because of the grip lenght. The G27 was too short for my pinky finger; the G30, while being wider than the G23, gave me a full grip with a 9 round magazine, and still printed less than the G23. Didn't pick up a G36 because of the reliability issues I read about on various firearm forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links