Who is pocket carrying a P238?

This is a discussion on Who is pocket carrying a P238? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found myself pocket carrying quite a bit in recent months. I like it for a few reasons - -It's easy to remove the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is pocket carrying a P238?

Who is pocket carrying a P238?

I have found myself pocket carrying quite a bit in recent months. I like it for a few reasons -

-It's easy to remove the gun and leave it in my car if I go someplace I can't carry.

-I don't really have to worry about wardrobe choice.

-If I am in a threating situation I can put my hand in my pocket and grip my gun without being obvious.

Also, after MAC's latest test results on .380 ball ammo I feel even better about it. My issue is this. Right now I am using a Kel tec P3AT for pocket carry which I really do like. It's extremely light and small. The issue is that it's not exactly what I would call the most shootable gun in the world. The trigger is pretty stiff (yes, I realise that can be a good thing on a pocket gun) and the sights are sorely lacking. This has cause me to start looking at the Sig P238. I have read a lot of fantastic reviews and people seem to love them but I don't generally see people talking about pocket carrying them. The P3at weigs in around 12 ounces loaded but the P238 weighs in around 16. I know that some of you are immediately going to say "4 ounes isn't anything!" I have found that 4 ounces can make quite a difference when your talking about something in your pocket. So, I would like to hear from those of you that pocket carry a P238 and even better would be if I could hear from some people that have pocket carried both a P238 AND and P3AT or LCP that could provide some comparrisons.

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

KoB
    Lol...it seems like yesterday I was just reading about you switching to a SP101????

KMB, I

VIP Member
    I don't carry one but a buddy does. I've shot his and it is very good out to 30-40 feet without much effort. I can't say that about the Ruger or KT.

As for how it carries, I can't help much other that to tell you that he ALWAYS has it with him.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

My wife and I both have Sig P238s. She carries hers regularly in a carry purse. I will pocket carry occasionally when not dressed for concealing my regular EDC (4" 1911). It a very good little gun.

Distinguished Member
    I carry a P238 Equinox more often than anything else. Using a Remora holster I can carry in my pocket, AIWB or IWB crossdraw when driving... and I can move between those carry positions (and the truck gun safe) without unholstering the pistol.
    In the pocket it's nocticeably heavier than an LCP, but it's not objectionable and works quite well, even with the extended magazine.
    I belt carry a spare mag in a nylon/velcro pouch that is very discreet and has never been identified as a spare mag.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I pocket carried a P238 pretty much all last summer. The LCP now and then, but mostly the P238. This summer, as a result of some study and experimentation, I've been packing my G26 pretty much full time.

The P238 pocket carries just fine. Mine and my Wife's have been flawless, handloads and all. My brother in law's Nitron had an issue but I figured out the problem and it was an easy fix. I know several people that have the SAS model. All of them have been flawless. My wife's is a two tone, stainless slide, black frame. It's been perfect. Mine is all desert colored with bigger rubber grips and it's been perfect.

The LCP isn't going anyplace, but I carry it a lot less since the P238 came home. I bought my P238 because the wife is 'very' possessive of hers. I wouldn't reach for it with anything I wasn't willing to lose.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Rollo - would you feel ok with a thumb safety?

Re weight, I do not have a 238, but I do have a PM9, and it is also 16 oz empty. Very notable difference vs my LCP and LCR. My .38 LCR is about 16 oz loaded, and that seems to be the upper limit of comfort (for me) for daily pocket carry. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Rollo - would you feel ok with a thumb safety?
    I REALLY hate thumb safeties but I think it would be something I would be willing to train with and put up with to gain a bit more shootability.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I REALLY hate thumb safeties but I think it would be something I would be willing to train with and put up with to gain a bit more shootability.
    The P238 is a very shootable pistol. My wife fired one round out of my LCP, laid it down, and said, "I'm not doing that again."

She fired the first round out of her P238, turned her head to look at me with a big smile and said, "That is sooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeet." Then she emptied the magazine into COM on an IDPA target at 7 yards. When she was done with that magazine she reached for the other one, already loaded and said, "I'll shoot that one too."

She purely loves that pistol. Even with 71 year old hands she has no problem with the manual of arms with it.

For me it shoots more like a compact than a pocket pistol. It has excellent night sights, a respectable trigger, and the easiest to rack slide on the planet.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

my wife carries one, multiple places, purse/IWB/OWB and sweater/jacket pocket if the weather calls for it, she loves it.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I have pocket carried my P238 for well over a year. I love it. I use the Desantis Nemesis.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I carry a 938 in my pocket everyday
    Not much size difference than the 238

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

I had two, a Nitron and a Scorpion. Decent ergos, very accurate, carried well.

I just didn't care for how picky they were about ammo.

I bought the LCP thinking that would be my best option for summer carry. Plain and simple, I am not a big fan of the LCP. Small- yes, Pocket carry- yes, Firing and trigger feel-Not good.
    I bought the 238 2 weeks later and love it.
    The 238 is smooth, great feel, w/ 1911 style. Love this gun and carry with Hornady Z-max.
    Waited 8 weeks for the crossbreed minituck and absolutely love it. I have a desantis pocket holster, as well, but, I prefer appendix carry over pocket.

I pocket carried a Sig P238 HDW as a BUG for about three years. It was a pleasure to shoot and extremely reliable. I replaced it recently with a Springfield XDS-45 for pocket carry to go with the 1911 that I also carry.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links