9mm For Back Pocket Carry?

This is a discussion on 9mm For Back Pocket Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a continued effort to find another alternative to my belly band, I've been considering back pocket carry in a wallet type holster. This would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 9mm For Back Pocket Carry?

In a continued effort to find another alternative to my belly band, I've been considering back pocket carry in a wallet type holster. This would only be used during the work week when I am required to wear business casual attire. Polo or button down shirt and khaki pants. I don't think I could do a front pocket carry because it would print to badly when I sit down. I've tried this with my P238.

I would likely invest in a high quality leather wallet type holster. I think this method would not attract to much attention. Large, fat wallets are common and not because they're full of money.

My question is, are their any tiny 9s that would be acceptable to use or am I stuck in 380 territory in this situation?

The lightest and thinnest 9mm is the Diamondback DB9 which is just a smidge larger than a Ruger LCP. When I had my Diamondback DB9, I would use the same holsters as the one for my Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard 380. The Rohrbaugh R9 is the smallest, but also about $1000+. I hope this helps. God Bless

Back pocket carry is a risky proposition; the gun, even in a good, secure holster will want to pop out of the pocket which could lead to loss. Add to this the possibility of pickpockets all of a sudden being armed...nope, I'll stick with IWB or front pocket carry.
    Taurahe likes this.
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

VIP Member
    I don't like carrying a regular wallet in my rear pocket, let alone something which would accommodate a firearm
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Kahr PM9 might work depending on the size & shape of ur khaki pockets. Mine doesn't print when I use my $9 Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster for front pocket carry. Should be the same for the carry u propose.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373916332.438235.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I'm not in a region prone to pickpockets. I'm pretty rural.

Not to worried about losing the gun out of the pocket. Never lost a wallet out of my pants.

My initial thoughts were PM9, Solo, possibly a Shield.

I believe the Shield would be much too big for what u propose.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I carry a Kahr CM9 in an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster in my right front pocket in Dockers while at work.

all you can see is a round hump. No firearm print is visible.

...after carrying in my right front pocket for years, I am not terribly worried about printing while carrying in my front pockets. If someone is scoping out your "front pockets", I doubt
    they are checking to see if you are carrying a gun.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I'm a big fan of back pocket carry with an LCP. I've had no problems since adopting it 3-4 years ago (choice of holster is critical).

With my build (6'), there's no way that I could carry my PM9 back there, otherwise I would. It's how .380 worked it's way into my carry options.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WHEC724; July 15th, 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Correction of time frame

That's definitely the kind of holster I'm talking about. I may have to settle for a 380 if I want to use the back pocket. I really need to try to find a shop that has a Kahr.

Here is a thread about this from 2009: Anyone have this wallet holster? Ruger LCP
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

If you use a pocket holster with an anti print panel, you will be able to carry front pocket with zero issues. There are 9mm pistols out there that approach the size of the micro .380s, but they are all significantly heavier. Whether that is comfortable to you for all day carry is something for you to decide.

I have some holsters from Hidden Holsters - Expertly Crafted Pocket Holsters

These look good too www.maelwear.com

Also, consider a .38 revolver like the LCR. At 16 oz loaded, it is light weight enough, and Dockers have pockets of a sufficient size. The rounded revolver shape tends to print less, and they also draw faster out of a pocket.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    Here is a thread about this from 2009: Anyone have this wallet holster? Ruger LCP
    I would guess that with several new guns introduced since 2009, the info in that thread may not be up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I would guess that with several new guns introduced since 2009, the info in that thread may not be up to date.
    You're probably right!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I tried single stack 9mm for pocket carry and could not get it to work for me.

LCP or P3AT size firearm works well in front pocket carry with a good holster.

Would not enjoy setting on my CC all day at work.

IWB carry is a good option if you work with it and get a holster that works for you.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links