Buying Used Guns

Buying Used Guns

This is a discussion on Buying Used Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a question for the smart guys out there who cruise the shops looking for used guns at good prices. First off, is there ...

Buying Used Guns

This is a question for the smart guys out there who cruise the shops looking for used guns at good prices. First off, is there a place online, or could you tell me what you would look for to check the quality/condition of a used semi-auto and of a used revolver? Also, is there someplace online where I could look up what the basic price for a certain used pistol would be?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Check gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com whether you find any used ones depends on what you're looking for though.
    Check this thread out for guides to buying used wheelguns:
    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=57816
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I would do price research with the gun bible or blue book. Look for any obvious aberrations in quality. Check the barrel, trigger pull, and manual safety(if it has one). If you buy used-MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A RETURN POLICY. If they do not, don't bother wasting your money. A used gun is sold for two reasons- someone needs quick money or it's a jam-o-matic. If your not familiar with firearms then bring your new weapon to your local gunsmith and have him check it over and give his opinion.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com are good to use. i know a guy that has got some good deals. but to me i just don't see any good deals at what i am looking for. i like going to gun shops, pawn stores and newspaper sales to get the best deals. there are books that you can look up prices,,, but the price is what you want to spend on that model gun. there are sites that will show you how to inspect guns,,, just look at it as the same way as you were buying a use car.

Go to the manufacture board of particular gun you're considering and ask about what to look for in that model. Every model has certain problems that you should be well aware of before perches.

The most important thing is donít rush a buy because you really like that gun and must have it.

Check the action. Check the barrel. Look for defects, pitting, rust, crud wedged into impossible places, etc. Determine the cleaning frequency, to the best of your ability, as that's a sign of a well-maintained gun. Verify all moving parts function correctly, so far as you can tell short of actually firing the gun. Or, better yet, actually fire a box of ammo at the range, if it's a local purchase.

If purchasing from a distance, digital camera photos can be your friend. Anyone should be able to take a half-dozen competent pics of a gun's vital parts (action, barrel, finish) that can show you 50% of what you need to know. If the person isn't comfortable with doing so, your radar should go into high gear. Definitely speak to the owner on the telephone, as the responses and responsiveness can tell you a lot. Judge accordingly ... then roll the dice. Go through an escrow service, if concerned, or through an FFL (ie, a larger retailer in the area of the seller's hometown) of your own choosing.

I've purchased a few guns remotely, via Gunbroker.com. That's a pretty good web site. It charges sellers peanuts for posting a sale, and protects buyers with insurance in the event of non-receipt of a gun from a seller. Many retailers also post their guns online, so you also get a good sampling of new firearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here is where I'm buying my next gun.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Here is where I'm buying my next gun.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
    Picked up my nifty 5906 from Mark... Waiting to see if he gets anymore 6906's.

MD

Or determine to pay only what it would cost to send it off and get it fixed and still be a good value. For instance, check the reputation of the manufacturer for customer service on non original buyers. Many of them honor it anyway and fix a problem without charge. If so... then pay under the cost of shipping it to them if it were to need it. If it turns out you don't need em then you got an extra special deal. If you do then your not out a lot and have a factory reconditioned gun at the end. Assuming its not been butchered that is. And as was mentioned, try and get a 30 day garantee that it's in working order. That should give you time to evaluate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Willington View Post
    Picked up my nifty 5906 from Mark... Waiting to see if he gets anymore 6906's.

MD
    I'm waiting for a 6946 and 4053 to come in his shop! Great site and prices.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Read This!

Hey there. I am not sure if I am too late. But i provided a link to an article that I used when I went to the gun show to get my Taurus. Luckily, I didn't have to use it since the seller only sold new guns and rarely bought used guns. But yeah, here's the LINK:--> How To Buy A Used Handgun

VIP Member
    I bought a Glock 23 from him. Other than it being the dirtiest single gun I've ever seen it is great. (The thing was FULL of lint, even in the chamber.)
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Check gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com whether you find any used ones depends on what you're looking for though.
    Check this thread out for guides to buying used wheelguns:
    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=57816
    That was a great thread, thanks.

Personally, if I am buying a firearm on-line or through a publication, it will be a new gun, unless I am familiar with the seller. Being that I work at an FFL licensed shop, I get to deal with a lot of out of store purchases.

If I am buying used, I wan't to wrap my mitts around the gun and look it over personally.

I am not afraid of buying a used gun since parts can be had for nearly everything made if you look hard enough, and I have less fear of tearing into a gun and cleaning or replacing parts if necessary. Plus, as mentioned earlier, a lot of manufacturers have lifetime warranties on their guns now. Most will honor the warranty even if you are a second or thrid owner.

S&W had no problem sending me new grips, I did not even ask for them, they just did it... I may send it in to them for a once over to get it reconditioned.

Links