Range Report: Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail

This is a discussion on Range Report: Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend and I went to take the new gun out for it's first walk. This thing didn't walk. It ran, and ran nice. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail

Range Report: Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail

A friend and I went to take the new gun out for it's first walk. This thing didn't walk. It ran, and ran nice.

It was fed Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP, Cor Bon 165gr +P, Hornady TAP 230gr, and my handloads Rainier 230gr RN over 5.6gr Win 231 with CCI 300 primers. It digested everything except the Hornady. For whatever reason this gun didn't like them. They wouldn't even chamber. The slide would be out of battery about 1/4" and would be jammed. It took considerable force to get the round out. As mentioned earlier all other ammo fed and shot without a hitch.

Accuracy was excellent. My best group placed 5 shots within 2" with 2 fliers. All shooting was at 7 yards. I blame the two fliers on the blow from friends's .357 mag Smith and Wesson going off next to me. Have to blame something because it can't be the shooter.

The front strap checkering is really nice. I was worried that it might be too aggressive and have a cheese grater effect, but it was just right.

Sights were nice and for the most part the rounds went where the sights were placed. After about 150 rounds I noticed that the rear sight was about to fall off the left side of the gun. The set screw had shot loose. A little loctite and it's be as good as new.

The trigger was really nice. I may still take it in for a massaging, but it isn't a bad trigger at all.

It was very comfortable to shoot with the bobtail mainspring housing. It fits so naturally in the hand. It really can't be described, but must be felt to truly appreciate. The supplied MSH is smooth. I may replace it for the available checkered housing at some point.

Other than the loose sight and the issue with Hornady ammo I am very pleased. It is a very good gun and highly recommend it to anyone looking into a commander sized gun with most of the bells and whistles but either can't or won't spend spend the money on higher end guns.

2. Remove Ads

looks like the bullet seat on the hornady was out, that could be the reason the gun would not go into full battery.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    dws,
    I've had a DW Bobtail for about nine months now. Wouldn't take for it. I carry it concealed almost daily. Mine works with the ammo I carry in it, Ranger Ts +P. Swell gun.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

VIP Member
    Thanks for the range report....I'd love to get one in 10mm.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've heard that other DW CBOBs don't like the Hornadys.
    Having only shot speer and Remington in my gun so far.
    I think that I will stay away from the XTPs and such.

I'm partial to Gold dots and the GD as loaded by Double Tap for .45 and 10mm.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

Administrator
    Sounds like you have have a real nice, reliable handgun there!
    Congrats!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase of a fine HG.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

So the gun shoots well, but how about the Bob Tail? How well does that fit the hand? Is it as comfortable to shoot as a standard MSH?

I ask because I am thinking of Bobing my Springer. I may, I may not.

For Purple:- I am an avid Bobtail (BT) fan, I have the Dan Wesson and also have had my Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander Bobtailed. If I had my 'druthers and the money, all of my 1911's would have the BT. It's fit and feel in the hand is remarkable. The curve of the grip lets it nestle comfortably into the natural curve of my palm. The standard grip is a tad uncomfortable where the point of the grip digs into the heel of my palm. The increase in concealability was way better than expected. my full sized grip BT hides better than the shorter grip on my 3" 1911. Because of the improvement in feel and fit of the BT, I think I shoot the BT better.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have been looking at these and would love to get one, haven't been able to find a dealer up here yet.

Thanks. I am getting the 10mm as soon as I sell my Para.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    So the gun shoots well, but how about the Bob Tail? How well does that fit the hand? Is it as comfortable to shoot as a standard MSH?

I ask because I am thinking of Bobing my Springer. I may, I may not.
    As others have said, the bobtail just fits right in the hand. Now, this is going to be different with each individual. I don't find a full sized 1911 uncomfortable in th slightest, but the gun with the bobtail is so much more comfortable.

I can't say that I shoot it that much better than my 5" gun. My accuracy does seem a touch better. I think that it's more of how it feels. The tightness of the frame to slide doesn't hurt either.

Now concealability on my body is heads and shoulders above my non bobbed Springfield. Today was my first time wearing it out and I think the slide was giving more push on the shirt that the grip.

I don't know if bobtail guns is just going to be a fad or if it will catch on. I just know that everyone that has held ir shot this gun has been, if not impressed, intrigued.

Hey DW! Glad to hear about your success with the Dan Wesson. Good to see you here. I'm looking forward to seeing the D.W. soon and hopefully joining you and Diode for a shooting session sometime.

JLaw

Thank you tegemu and dws1117. I have been intrigued with the bob tail, and quite frankly like the look, but concern with comfort and shootability were my main issues. You both addressed that and it is appreciated. Makes me want to get it done more now.

The concealment factor isn't really a concern for me as I have enough "girth" to conceal a full-size Taurus .40, and a 1911 literally disappears.

I am just going to have to find one to shoot I guess. Any volunteers??

Quote Originally Posted by JLaw View Post
    Hey DW! Glad to hear about your success with the Dan Wesson. Good to see you here. I'm looking forward to seeing the D.W. soon and hopefully joining you and Diode for a shooting session sometime.

JLaw
    Dang JLaw you sure pop up all over the place. I had it at Diode's shop this AM. I'll probably be there tomorrow AM also and I'll bring it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links