FIRST HAND experience with the "Mini 9s" What do you REALLY think?

This is a discussion on FIRST HAND experience with the "Mini 9s" What do you REALLY think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to know what the owners of some of the "Mini 9s" really think about them. I am referring to the ones that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: FIRST HAND experience with the "Mini 9s" What do you REALLY think?

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

FIRST HAND experience with the "Mini 9s" What do you REALLY think?

I would like to know what the owners of some of the "Mini 9s" really think about them. I am referring to the ones that are 6" OAL and under. Exclude the XDS, Shield and Glock 26, etc. as these are over 6" OAL. Do you like them? Do you hate them? Are they for real or just a "Pop Culture" thing. Are the Mini 9s really to small for proper operation? Do you feel as if the manufacturers have done a good job with design and production? Honest answers would be appreciated.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

2. Remove Ads

I don't do many guns. I don't believe the small 380 size guns chambered for the 9mm and 40 will hold up in the long run. I stick to designs like the PPK and Colt Mustang 380.
    Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Glockwatcher likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Dont have much faith in a gun when the directions say change springs after 250 rds or not a range gun. I only buy guns to shoot or cc. They are just to finicky for me to carry. When you can pop a 642 in your pocket an know it will work

I recently got a Kahr PM9 and can't say enough good things about it. I was very leery of it with all the horror stories I've read from people (and 10thmtm's "Stepping off the Pocket 9mm Merry-Go-Round" thread popping up everywhere), but the little gun has been flawless (even through the 200 round "break-in" period) and is ridiculously accurate and easy to shoot for such a small gun.
    kb2wji, Oldpsufan and EdC like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I feel that my LC9 is dependable and fairly easy to conceal, but I have yet to figure out how to shoot the thing with any degree of accuracy. The long, heavy trigger pull makes this thing a bear to keep on target.

I haven't given up on it completely, but I'm close.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

VIP Member
    I've chased the single-stack mini-9 rainbow and ended up with a very nice PM9 and rough-but-reliable PF9 that I never use.

The reason is that they're still too big for pocket-carry, and easily print when you do (snubbies rule for pocket-carry). If I'm gonna carry in a traditional holster, I may as well carry something that can hold more rounds.

The G26 is what gets carried when I want a small 9mm on me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
    I feel that my LC9 is dependable and fairly easy to conceal, but I have yet to figure out how to shoot the thing with any degree of accuracy. The long, heavy trigger pull makes this thing a bear to keep on target.

I haven't given up on it completely, but I'm close.

Keep in mind the triggers are not meant to be slowly squeezed like a target trigger. Squeezebit firmly and you k sy be surprised. It is very similar to shooting a DA revolver. My Cm9 was able to shoot more than adequate groups from 10 yds and in.

Also there are prob trigger kits for the lc9 as well

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Wishoot likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My PF9 took some getting used to with the long trigger pull, but it performs flawlessly. I just ran 100 rounds through it the other day and it was fine. I bought it as a pocket gun and in the right pants (deep pockets) it works fine. I have a pair of cargo shorts that you cannot even tell there is anything in the (front) pocket much less a gun. I'm not talking about the cargo pocket although that does break up the form of the front pocket.
    Since this gun was my first venture into 9mm's I bought cheap but not cheap if you know what I mean. Knowing all the different makes out there now, and if I had to replace it, I'd get the same gun again. I'm definitely not a gun snob.
    Richard58 likes this.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Brad - Sorry if I link to that thread a lot, but this is a very common topic. It is much easier to link than to try to summarize the whole thread. Having had a P9 and three PM9s go through my hands, I have some experience in this issue. And there are many others who shared their experiences in that thread as well.

Glad yours is working well. If you get a good one, there is still nothing quite like it on the market. Which is why I kept going back to that well. No longer.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Well, it's a tad over 6" overall (6.3 according to Walther) but my PPS in 9 has held up over 1200 rounds and counting, including a relatively large number of +P defensive loads when trying different brands. Shoots comfortably and accurately. I'm hunting a PPK to complete my Walther trio - but I'm 100% confident in my just shy of 6" OAL PPS.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    My only personal experience with a "mini 9" is my CM9, which has performed very well. A couple of bobbles in the first few rounds, no problems since. It's not a gun a carry a ton, but it does get semi regular use during the summer months IWB.
    Hodad likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Brad - Sorry if I link to that thread a lot, but this is a very common topic. It is much easier to link than to try to summarize the whole thread. Having had a P9 and three PM9s go through my hands, I have some experience in this issue. And there are many others who shared their experiences in that thread as well.

Glad yours is working well. If you get a good one, there is still nothing quite like it on the market. Which is why I kept going back to that well. No longer.

Oh, I'm not witching about it... just saying that every time I was leaning towards getting a PM9 that thread would pop up again and scare me off for a while. I finally decided I wanted one bad enough that I was willing to risk it and trade it in if it had issues.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Kahr CM9 deserves a look see. Not very pretty but in my experience reliable and small enough for EDC
    thebucketeer and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

My Kahr CM9 has been accurate and reliable.
    Kilowatt3 and stevez like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links