Is there really controversy about .357 SIG as a civilian defense round?

This is a discussion on Is there really controversy about .357 SIG as a civilian defense round? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's no secret I'm a .45 ACP fan when it comes to pistol calibers, but I have a lot of respect for a pistol cartridge ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Is there really controversy about .357 SIG as a civilian defense round?

Is there really controversy about .357 SIG as a civilian defense round?

It's no secret I'm a .45 ACP fan when it comes to pistol calibers, but I have a lot of respect for a pistol cartridge that has that kind of performance.

I have heard a lot of internet and local gun store commandos refer to the .357 SIG as a liability for SD/HD because it's so powerful. That kind of thinking/scuttlebutt seems pretty common. I'm not sure I get it...

What's your take on it (I apologize in advance for not deeply searching this particular forum)?

(Disclaimer, I think it's cool enough coupled with the fact that Glock made one into a near-pocket gun that I would consider owning one).

2. Remove Ads

My opinion (FWIW) is that guns are dangerous ALL OF THEM - I would not carry at least one otherwise

If a shotgun with slugs or buck shot is good for SD and HD, I really do not think that the .357 sig will raise to many eye brows....jmo
    Aceoky, Snub44, USM1976 and 1 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

"I have heard a lot of internet and local gun store commandos refer to the .357 SIG as a liability for SD/HD because it's so powerful."

It is a really great middle-of-the-road handgun cartridge but it's not all that powerful. The .357 Magnum revolver cartridge has the capacity to handily whip the .357 SIG and with heavier bullets. The .357 Magnum has been generally accepted since its introduction in 1935. The .38 Super, another .357 SIG class cartridge was introduced in 1929. The .40 S&W ain't half bad in some of it's loadings and should be considered fully equal to .357 SIG in most applications. The 9mm+P+ is chewing on .357 SIGs heels. With good hits, neither man nor beast will be able to differentiate between a hot 9mm and the .357 SIG.

We won't even talk about 10mm, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .500 S&W and so on ...

Any controversy is artificially contrived and exists only in the minds of the silly.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

"Too powerful" for self defense? Really? I've never heard that one before...Can a gun also be "too reliable"?

Seriously though, my EDC is a M&P .357SIG and I absolutely love the caliber....however, at night, next to my bed sits a Remington 870 loaded with 3" 00 buck shells, now that, is too powerful!!

Too powerful
    Aceoky likes this.

Good post bmcgilvray. Being a 1911 guy, and knowing about why .38 super was developed, I pretty kind of just smile and nod when people give that reason for why they don't stock/shoot/carry etc. a firearm chambered in .357 SIG.

I just keep seeming to hear the .357 SIG talked about like it's black magic.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    "Too powerful" for self defense? Really? I've never heard that one before...Can a gun also be "too reliable"?
    Are you really that surprised in the world of armchair expert gun opinions? I had a staff member tell me straight up at McBride's in Austin that if I used a .357 SIG as a defensive round, "you are going to JAIL. Not to mention the lawsuits!"

^^^now that's funny!
    Aceoky and blitzburgh like this.

Caliber wars will rage on until the end of time. My feeling, I have seen some pretty impressive numbers from Underwood Ammo's .357 sig round in 125gr. Over 1500fps out of a 4" Glock. To me, THAT is pretty amazing. A 9mm bullet past 10mm speed, yes please. Not to mention, a member on here torched one off into his leg on accident and posted pics, the wound was NASTY.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

No wonder Dirty Harry Callahan retired....that .44 just wasn't deadly enough !
    onacoma and Aceoky like this.

Seems folks can get pretty emotional about their chosen caliber choices. People also tend to be gullible.

The 357 Sig is a cartridge that is absolutely worthy of conversation or consideration.

But for me its offering is not a substantial difference to seek out and spend money on.
    USM1976, Aceoky, atctimmy and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

It's a good thing they never made Black Talons in .357 SIG - a single shot would've vaporized the victim and most of the surrounding area!
    ChrisATX, onacoma, smolck and 9 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    It's a good thing they never made Black Talons in .357 SIG - a single shot would've vaporized the victim and most of the surrounding area!
    OK now that's funny.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    My EDC is a .357 Sig out of a P2000 SK. If I could, I'd carry a MaDuce! Now that is a powerful round!

FYI - For those who have no military experience, a MaDuce is a 50 Cal. M-2 Machine-gun!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I have had people tell me that a .357 Sig or a 10mm is only good for hunting, that they are way overkill for self-defense and they over penetrate. The same people will tell you a .357 magnum is a great self defense round. The truth is a .357 Sig overlaps about 90% of the ballistics of the .357 magnum towards the low end. The 10mm overlaps about 90% of the ballistics of a .357 magnum towards the top end. Both the .357 Sig and 10mm were developed to mimic the ballistics of the .357 magnum revolvers cops used to carry. The .357 magnum is still considered the best one-shot stopping round. The .357 Sig and 10mm are both good self-defense rounds. I haven't seen any .357 Sig ammo in local stores forever. The local stores here have all of the 10mm ammo you want at pre-panic prices.
    Last edited by LimaCharlie; July 18th, 2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Aceoky, Eric357 and sensei2 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links