Taurus 415 .41 Snubby- Should I feel Good about it?

This is a discussion on Taurus 415 .41 Snubby- Should I feel Good about it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently put some money down on a Taurus, all-steel, (non-ported), 415 .41 magnum snubby. I'll go pick it up (my Christmas present to me, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nn

Thread: Taurus 415 .41 Snubby- Should I feel Good about it?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

I recently put some money down on a Taurus, all-steel, (non-ported), 415 .41 magnum snubby.

I'll go pick it up (my Christmas present to me, I guess) when my next ship comes in (hopefully before Christmas).

Anyone have any experience with this gun?

It came down to this or a Charter .44 Bulldog. I had determined to get the Charter, but I had heard of reliability/durability problems with them, so I chose the Taurus as my big-bore snubby instead. Hey, .41's a bit of a novelty anyway....

(I may go get the Bulldog later anyway, though :) )

I am a little recoil sensitive (small hands), but I've heard with 175-grain Silvertips, the .41 snubby (particularly the all steel version), isn't too bad (the ribber grips are supposed to help), so I hope it's a gun that doesn't hurt to shoot.

I've had a couple of snubbies that hurt to shoot, so I got rid of them. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I like those snubbies- they're very comforting and a big bored one is even more so.

I've got ammo selections picked out already for my first range session, too, as well s some speedloaders. I'm pretty excited!

Is the 415 accurate? Is it reliable? Does hurt REAL bad to shoot it? What grain weight of bullet are the sights regulated to shoot for?
    210's?

Talk to me about your experienes, folks!

Interesting gun

When I read your posting I was curious about the gun and ballistics, so I looked up some data on the Winchester and Taurus websites.

On the Winchester website it said that the 175 grain .41 magnum Silvertip ammo has a muzzle velocity of 1250 fps and muzzle energy of 607 ft-lbs from a 4 inch barrel. That is just under the ballistics of the 10mm Silvertip on the same website (same bullet weight, 1290 fps and 647 ft-lbs). I would guess that from your 2.5 inch barrel you might see 1150 fps velocity and 550 ft-lbs of energy.

The gun weighs 30 ounces in all steel, so I think it will have a stout recoil, but quite controllable. The rubber grips will help cushion this somewhat. I think this will be an interesting gun to shoot, and fairly potent as a CCW gun if you have to stop an attack with it.

Taurus 415 revolver specs

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not sure 'bout the bbl length difference(10mm to .41 Mag),but given the same bbl lengths you can git a edge with a .41. I had one in a 3 screw BlackHawk way back when. Would load it super hot. Recoil told the story. Good luck with yours.

You simply gotta (at least) try some of them CorBon or Buffalo Bore(after a call to Taurus).

Please let us know how she shoots. -------

It should a tad less in recoil than the .44 mag. I doubt you'll notice it though in a snub nose revolver. My snubby .44 mag model 629 was't bad when it came to recoil. I wouldn't shoot one if it wouldn't be made of steel. I'd pay to watch someone shoot a variety of .44 mag ammo through Smiths' scadium model though.
    I think its a great piece if you are gonna reload. I'd hate to see what a box of premium JHP ammo would cost ya' if you found it.
    The grips on that gun ought to cut felt recoil about 30%.
    If that gun won't drop your attacker with one shot placed right... he/she isn't human.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have the 617. I think this is the same size in 357mag. Mine hurt to shoot until I put the Ribber on , know it is so soft you can shoot all day with no pain.

VIP Member
    I'd pay to watch someone shoot a variety of .44 mag ammo through Smiths' scadium model though.
    That would be fun wouldn't it.
    JD likes this.

This thread made me want to go out and buy one to go with my Blackhawk and Marlin 1894 but I see they've been discontinued by Taurus.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Sponsored Links