Should I shoot my Glock 26 better than my 17?

This is a discussion on Should I shoot my Glock 26 better than my 17? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I picked up a Glock 17 and took it straight to the range. What I learned is I need more trigger time with it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should I shoot my Glock 26 better than my 17?

Should I shoot my Glock 26 better than my 17?

Yesterday I picked up a Glock 17 and took it straight to the range. What I learned is I need more trigger time with it before I decide to carry it. I really wish I had taken my 19 to shoot beside it to have more of a comparison. I had my 26 since that is what I have been carrying. I found I shot my 26 better (faster and more accurate close range and at distance) than the 17. I found it a little discouraging but I found the 26 very encouraging. The shooting was done from 5 yards to 20 yards mostly shooting 6" plates. I also realize I have very little expierence with a fullsize gun short of a 4" K frame that shoots like a lazer. I guess I thought I would shoot the 17 well since I had been shooting my 26. The 17 is stock with Glock night sights. The 26 has traction grip, ghost connector and stock sights except the rear sight has been blacked out with a sharpie. Has anyone else had the same expeirence?

2. Remove Ads

Yes. I've had several Glocks over the years, including a 23 and a 27. I am much more accurate with the 27.
    GWarden likes this.

VIP Member
    Yup. I was shocked that I shoot the G26 as good, if not better than my G19.

I can only guess that because of the short grip, I curl a pinky under and can get a vice-like grip on it? 'Dunno. I just write it off to 'perfection' (LOL ), and am glad that it shoots so well.
    glockman10mm and GWarden like this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Do you use a standard mag for the 26. I have a +2 extension for mine but I find I shoot it better with the standard mag. I might be wrong but my thought is that having the pinky under the grip keeps it steadier for follow up shots.

A lot of it might just be you have shot the 26 more at this point and are more familiar with it than you are with the 17.

Not that strange, IMO. In my experience, slight differences in balance, weight, feel can make all the difference. Some guns just match our body's capabilities and our shooting style/preferences best, slight though those differences appear to be. But then, a G26 and a G17 react quite differently under fire, in the same caliber. Much less than going from one make/model of gun to another completely different one, perhaps, but enough that your body's telling you something.

Nice to know a "puny" little gun can hold its own with the full-size variant, though. Not everyone gets to experience that.
    GWarden and David Armstrong like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I owned all three, a 26, 19, and 17. I discovered that I shoot both the 19 and 26 noticeably better than the 17. There is a difference in the grip between the 17 and the two smaller guns. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it made a definite difference in how I shot it. I finally decided the 2 additional rounds of capacity just wasn't worth the trouble or the cost of mastering the new gun, so I traded it in on a second 19. Now one 19 lives in the bedside safe with TFO sights and the rail light on it. The other one, box stock except for the twenty five cent trigger job, lives in the carry gun safe in my closet. The 26 is currently in my CBST @ 3:00. Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I shoot the 26 with standard, and with the GAP plate most often. Yesterday I was shooting with a +1 ext. I was trying it out and found I could shoot it as fast as I could pull the trigger. I am thinking Im gonna add XS sights to my 26 and commit to it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I shoot the 26 with standard, and with the GAP plate most often. Yesterday I was shooting with a +1 ext. I was trying it out and found I could shoot it as fast as I could pull the trigger. I am thinking Im gonna add XS sights to my 26 and commit to it.
    I have the Pearce +0 extension on both mags for my 26. It turns the pistol into a perfect dynamic match for my hands and arms. I shoot double taps as fast as I can pull the trigger, 1/4 second splits, that hit within a couple of inches of each other with the reliability of gravity. The 19 mags are box stock, all 10 of them (I have a bunch of them because now and then I like to shoot Action Pistol and you need 8 magazines to do that with out holding things up to reload). I only have two 26 mags because the 19 mags fit it and work just fine. I may get a set of the XS Big Dot sights and try them on the 26. I liked the stock Glock cup and ball sights a lot. They are very fast to acquire a target with, at least for me. Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Another consideration is the triggers in the two guns. From your OP the 17 has a stock trigger while you have modified the 26 with a Ghost connector. That will have an influence on how you shoot the two guns.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I also shoot the sub compact Glocks better than the full size Glocks.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I shoot the 19/23 size the best, I always liked the 26/27 but I just get a much better draw from the 19/23 frame
    Spudboy66 likes this.

I think I am going to do a fair amount of dry fire as well as maybe install my ghost from my 19. The next time I get to the range I should be familiar with both and will see

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    When you figure in, hand size, sights, physical characteristics of the pistol and body mechanics I an not surprised. For me I am better with a SA 1911 than any other firearm I own. With smaller firearms I tend to have a death grip on them. My wife on the other hand is better with a G27 than her SP-101 which she shoots far more often. I think confidence in a particular firearm also plays a large roll.

My best,
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Many people have found the accuracy is actually better for them with the baby Glocks, myself included.
    Eric357 and GhostMaker like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

As you've learned, you're not the only person with this experience. I shoot my wife's Glock 19 pretty well, but I shoot my own Glock 27 significantly better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links