Is H&R 929 first series safe to carry?

This is a discussion on Is H&R 929 first series safe to carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an H&R 929 Sidekick revolver whose serial number starts with AD, which I believe puts it around 1967. I read that in 1974, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StillLearning

Thread: Is H&R 929 first series safe to carry?

Question Is H&R 929 first series safe to carry?

I have an H&R 929 Sidekick revolver whose serial number starts with AD, which I believe puts it around 1967. I read that in 1974, H&R switched to a transfer bar design to reduce likelihood of accidental discharge when dropped.

Should be concerned about the risk of accidental discharge if I carry this concealed? My guess is that I will use it with a pocket holster.

I am aware that 22LR does not inspire confidence in its stopping power, but this is the only small handgun I have. Thanks for your advice.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Short story--yes, be concerned. I had the later version with the transfer bar. I wish they still made them, nice gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you are here.

You may want to await a true H&R expert to reply to your post. I'm somewhat familiar with the H&R revolvers but don't own any. I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that it wouldn't be advisable to carry any pre-transfer-bar H&R rim fire with a round under the hammer. The purpose of the added transfer bar in 1974 was to reduce the chance of a discharge if the revolver was dropped and took a blow directly on the hammer.

A cousin has a similar H&R .22 model revolver and we used to shoot it quite a bit when we were teenagers. This would have been prior to 1974. I wouldn't want to rely on the ignition system on that particular revolver to protect me in the event of a blow to the hammer. Of course when we were young we never thought of such things and the gun was usually carried fully loaded on fishing excursions and camping trips.

I have a soft spot for the old H&R .22s. A lot of fun was had with that snub revolver and I'd like to get one just for casual plinking fun.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for both your replies. I will follow your advice and leave the 929 at home.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

If you do decide to carry it. Carry with the firing pin on an empty chamber. Myself, I would keep it for shooting at the range and not use it as a carry gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

Links