New Pocket Gun and Range Report

This is a discussion on New Pocket Gun and Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been researching micro pistol options mainly for easy pocket carry in gym shorts. Florida in the summer, a baggy pair of gym shorts around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New Pocket Gun and Range Report

I've been researching micro pistol options mainly for easy pocket carry in gym shorts. Florida in the summer, a baggy pair of gym shorts around the house and yard is quite common. Now I've got numerous slightly dressier looking but still draw string and no belt loop shorts, so I've been needing something to fit this bill. The S&W 442 snub revolver works pretty good for this role, but I knew there were things easier to carry for this purpose.

After much research, reading, reviews, videos, looking, holding, and trying out I bought a new gun today.

The Taurus TCP PT738. It's "Black Stainless" slide model. I picked up several boxes of range ammo and headed off with it. Here are my observations and opinions.

- It's small, light, and thin. Easily carried in gym shorts pockets.
    - Hammer fired and DAO. Good for pocket and deep concealment.
    - The trigger is much better than the other micro pistols I tried.
    - Stainless was important due to the humidity and living near the coast.
    - Comes with 2 mags.
    - Inspecting the firearm, frame, slide rails, slide, and mag components I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the build, fit, and finish.
    - Accuracy, I was shocked at the accuracy I was obtaining with this little mouse gun.

I put 100 rounds through it at 10 yards. Given I have very thick and wide hands, I found the gun a little difficult to grasp. I could only get my middle and ring finger on the grip and it wanted to climb out of my hand a little. But it was certainly manageable.

Recoil. It was stout but not terrible, but by the end of my first 50 round box my hand was getting sore. Took a break and shot my XDm-9 4.5 for a while and came back to it.

The very first shot from 10 yards, bullseye. I slowly shot the first mag and put them all within a couple inches. Sped up faster and kept them in a fist sized circle. Practiced point shooting quickly and was very pleased with the results. I practiced with both hands and just one-handed, and then switched to my left hand. Still very pleased with it.

By the end of 100 rounds, the web of my hand was red and I was feeling it. But hey, it's not a range gun, I've got plenty of others to pull long range sessions.

My overall impression is that for $289 with the black stainless slide and 2 mags, I'm very pleased with it. I was shocked at the accuracy I was able to attain straight off the bat, pretty good trigger, and it fills the role I was needing well. I put 100 rounds through it with no issues. Below are the mandatory "no pics it didn't happen" pics:
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Congrats on your new TCP. My dad has one and he really likes it, no complaints so far.

They are like an LCP; if you have one, you don't have an excuse not to carry.
    franco45 likes this.

Nothing petty about a petty pistol especially from ten yards - and most especially from five feet or less. Yah, the TCP always had the better trigger than the LCP. I've never compared my updated LCP to a TCP.

Let's face it, everybody could use a .380 at least some of the time. Dang, I should have bought a .380.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Congrats BD. I agree, there's nothing like the thin, light option for pocket carry. I carry the gen 2 LCP everyday during office hours. I figure it's better than running, or throwing office furniture at someone.
    Aceoky and BugDude like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Stick to the 442...lint don't bother it...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You picked a winner. We have two of them in the family and both seem to function great with any ammo tried so far . It does seem to be easier to shot one handed. I just can't get a grip with both hands. Add a piece of free used bike inner tube to the grip and it tends to stay in the hand rather well. I bought one and broke it in only for my youngest daughter to claim it . Then bought another one broke it in again and wife claim that one to. great trigger. Gota get one more .

What letter is in the serial number C or D. Ours are C's. Good price on the black SS.

hundsonvalley Lint!! That's what a good close bottom pocket holster is for. I have carried a pocket pistol , cm9 for 6 years now with no lint issues. Work with that pistol to in construction too.

Mine is a "D". I carry it in one of my custom pocket holsters. A buddy of mine has a custom car shop and does body, paint, and custom car interiors. He made me several of these "pocket liners" out of thin car seat vinyl. I just fold it inward to whatever amount I need to fit that gun, and it gives it two layers thickness on both sides.

It won't replace my 442 (one of my favorite guns EVER), but gives me a smaller option. And I can see the 738 filling a BUG role to the 442 and other carry guns.

I have a fair number of small pistols, including a PT709 which I really like too. Nothing like having options!!! No excuse to not carry.
    Attached Images
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I am try'n to convince comp-tac to build there Centerline holster for the taurus for backup use. Understand about the 442. I carry from a kahr as my normal cc piece.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review and photos.

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've been researching micro pistol options mainly for easy pocket carry in gym shorts. Florida in the summer, a baggy pair of gym shorts around the house and yard is quite common. Now I've got numerous slightly dressier looking but still draw string and no belt loop shorts, so I've been needing something to fit this bill. The S&W 442 snub revolver works pretty good for this role, but I knew there were things easier to carry for this purpose.

After much research, reading, reviews, videos, looking, holding, and trying out I bought a new gun today.

The Taurus TCP PT738. It's "Black Stainless" slide model. I picked up several boxes of range ammo and headed off with it. Here are my observations and opinions.

- It's small, light, and thin. Easily carried in gym shorts pockets.
    - Hammer fired and DAO. Good for pocket and deep concealment.
    - The trigger is much better than the other micro pistols I tried.
    - Stainless was important due to the humidity and living near the coast.
    - Comes with 2 mags.
    - Inspecting the firearm, frame, slide rails, slide, and mag components I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the build, fit, and finish.
    - Accuracy, I was shocked at the accuracy I was obtaining with this little mouse gun.

I put 100 rounds through it at 10 yards. Given I have very thick and wide hands, I found the gun a little difficult to grasp. I could only get my middle and ring finger on the grip and it wanted to climb out of my hand a little. But it was certainly manageable.

Recoil. It was stout but not terrible, but by the end of my first 50 round box my hand was getting sore. Took a break and shot my XDm-9 4.5 for a while and came back to it.

The very first shot from 10 yards, bullseye. I slowly shot the first mag and put them all within a couple inches. Sped up faster and kept them in a fist sized circle. Practiced point shooting quickly and was very pleased with the results. I practiced with both hands and just one-handed, and then switched to my left hand. Still very pleased with it.

By the end of 100 rounds, the web of my hand was red and I was feeling it. But hey, it's not a range gun, I've got plenty of others to pull long range sessions.

My overall impression is that for $289 with the black stainless slide and 2 mags, I'm very pleased with it. I was shocked at the accuracy I was able to attain straight off the bat, pretty good trigger, and it fills the role I was needing well. I put 100 rounds through it with no issues. Below are the mandatory "no pics it didn't happen" pics:
    i put on a Pachmayr slide on grip... has palm swells that made it much more comfortable to handle... something to think about...

Aceoky and BugDude like this.

VIP Member
    Good report!

Glad to hear things from Taurus are getting better, and people who are buying them are actually liking them.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sweeeeet!

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I've never shot that particular one,but,290.00 isn't a bad price at all.

I'm hearing more and more good reports about this little pistol. Glad its working like it should.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    I've never shot that particular one,but,290.00 isn't a bad price at all.
    The regular black steel slide model is only $219. The stainless slide (in either black or silver) runs closer to $300. All in all, I'm impressed with it. I'm going to try one of those pachmayer slide-ons or maybe a piece of bike tire inner tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links