Glock-made night sights vs. Trijicon HD

This is a discussion on Glock-made night sights vs. Trijicon HD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it looks like I'm saving for a Glock 33. Nobody stocks them here, so I was going to order from Glockmeister, which offers a ...

Thread: Glock-made night sights vs. Trijicon HD

Glock-made night sights vs. Trijicon HD

So it looks like I'm saving for a Glock 33. Nobody stocks them here, so I was going to order from Glockmeister, which offers a bevy of options (such as Scherer +0 pinky extensions), and change in sights. I really like the idea of tritium sights, but are the Trijicon HDs worth the the extra coin? How good are the Glock night sights? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I have Trijicons on my carry Glocks except for my G23 (pic below) that came with Glock factory night sights. I believe they are Meprolights (read it somewhere along the road).The facory night sights are actually brighter than any of my Trijicons, but not sure of the life of the sights. Trijicons have a 10 year life warranty.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I cannot speak for Glock factory night sights, but Trijicon HDs are about as good as it gets. Worth every nickel to me.

I own pistols (and shotguns) with both Meprolight and Trijicon night sights. I would not hesitate to buy either one - I don't know of anything that indicates that they're anything other than a top-quality sight. I'm not at all sure that there's a bad option here.

I'd say that the choice is yours - do you prefer a "traditional" three white dot style sight, or would you prefer a "notch and big orange dot" configuration? I have a set of Trijicon HD's, but they're not installed ont he pistol that I bought them for yet. I'm using them to replace a traditional (non-tritium) three-dot configuration, so you already know what my vote would be. Most reviewers say that they find that the big flourescent front dot and black rear notch on the Trijicon HD makes is quick and easy to line up on target.

I just bought a set of Trijicon Bright and Tough's for my Glock 23. The daytime sight picture is great, the nighttime is VERY bright, and they have a shelf for one handed manipulations (something some of the mepro's I saw didn't have). In half light they really shine as well, some night sights require total darkness to show up, these show brightly in low light too.

Overall, I paid $95 and they installed them no charge at the store. I am VERY pleased. In fact, I like them better than my XS Big Dots on my Shield.
    Attached Images
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have SIG night sights on my P-238 and they work fine in low and no light. I also have a CrimsonTrace on the P-238and bullet goes where the red dot is, especially in low light. Confirmed multiple times in indoor range. In bright light the normal sights are used as neither the night sights or the laser are bright enough.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I have a G 19 and a G 36. Both have Glock factory night sights. I've not tried Trijicon. The Glock factory sights work fine for my old eyes.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

wsquared, I actually shoot iron GI 1911 sights, so either config will take some getting used to. One thing I did notice, as a both eyes open shooter, acquiring sight alignment is much easier with ANY kind of point of light/white on the sight, especially the front blade.

All my Glocks wear either Trij's or Mep's...even my SP101 has a Trij front sight.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you're shooting a notch and post sight setup now, the notch and ball on the Trijicon HD's might be an easier transition...but that's just my "figgerin". That suggestion may be worth no more than what you paid for it. Here's a pic of the Trijicon HD sight picture that shows why I think it might work for you....

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have had both over the years. My Glock 35 currently has Meprolights. They both seem to work equally well IMHO. The Meprolights do seem to last longer. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Glock and Sig Sauer both use Meprolights as their standard 3 dot night sights. I personally prefer them over Trijicons...... To me, the Mepros are more visible in daylight than the Trijicons.

Ok....here's an update. I installed the Trijicon HD's on my P30 last night - and spent two hours this morning taking the brass marks off of the sights and my slide with a nylon brush and some bore solvent. Yes, this works and it does not muck up the coating on your slide.

I went to the range this afternoon, and amongst the other things that I did, I did two things to specifically assess how these sights worked for me. I was shooting in what I would say would be a very poor set of conditions for these sights - it was far too bright for the tritium to be visible, and my target had far more light on it than my pistol did.

#1. I had heard that some people don't like the HD's for shooting at a distance - so I ran the target out to 22 yards (the maximum for that range) and did some slow fire. I found that I needed to concentate a little bit to make sure that the post was centered in the u-shaped notch, but I found the HD's to be very usable for shooting at that range. I don't think that they would be my first choice for shooting silhouettes or bowling pins at 100 yards....but I'm not likely to use my P30 for that anyways.

#2. I decided to see how they worked for shooting quickly. I put a silhouette target at 7 yards, and simply fired two to the body, one to the head - as quickly as my eye could find the front sight. Compared to the factory H&K sights, I think that these are a nice improvement.

Links