Shield for a lefty?

This is a discussion on Shield for a lefty? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently rotate between a G19(in public) and a LCR 357(on my property) for my edc. I'm in the market for a smaller and thinner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shield for a lefty?

Shield for a lefty?

I currently rotate between a G19(in public) and a LCR 357(on my property) for my edc. I'm in the market for a smaller and thinner pistol. I'm really liking the Shield but the darn safety is my only hang up.
    Beings as it will be a self defense tool I don't want to make any modifications like taking the safety out of the pistol.
    Question is, is there any worry of the safety ever engaging accidentally?
    Also, has anyone heard any rumors of there being a Shield produced without the safety?
    Thanks for the input!

2. Remove Ads

I laughed when I read your post as I was in the same diliema up until a few days ago when I finally purchased a Shield. I am a lefty, and the thumb safety was a big turn off for me when it came to the Shield. The LGS that I've bought a few guns from had a few in stock so I handled one to see how it was. The safety was very, very stiff. It doesn't protrude from the side of the gun that much either, so the chance of it snagging on your clothes are unlikely.

Other than the Shield, I considered the Kahr CW9/40, but everything I have heard about them has been hit or miss. I had a Walther PPS for a few weeks, but it didn't feel right in my hand when shooting. The Shield is a great gun! Don't let the thumb safety turn you away. I'm glad I didn't.
    Aceoky likes this.

The thumb safety is so small and difficult to operate I don't even bother with it as a righty. It's recessed enough that it doesn't run any risk of accidental operation either.

Ignore it and carry with confidence!
    British by birth. American by choice.

As a fellow lefty, I thought the safety on the Shield would be a problem as well. As others have stated, the safety is so difficult to engage / disengage even with the right hand that it became a non-issue. I just carry without the safety engaged. Liked the Shield so much that I have two of them; one in 9mm and one in .40.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

I am a lefty who has been thinking about a Shield and have had the same concerns. I am also considering a Walther PPS and the new XDs in 9mm. BTW, recently the owner of GR Tactical, a very large S&W dealer, had a post on the M4Carbine site where he said S&W is planning to offer a Shield without a safety as a LEO based SKU. I got the impression that it was planned for this year

THAT is good news. Maybe I'll just hold off for a while. Hopefully some news will leak from S&W soon about a safety-less model.

Just saw this thread for some reason...

I'm a lefty and avoided the Shield for the very same reason. I try to avoid all pistols without a righty safety. i went with a G26, so I'm happy as far as subcompact 9mm's go.

One thing to consider with a Kahr (and I'm definitely no expert), but apparently for some models the manufacturer recommends using the slide release to load the first round rather than slingshotting the slide. Some people say slingshotting works and others say that the slide release is necessary...so it seems that certain pistols within the same model act differently. So keep that in mind since, to me, using a righty slide release is even harder than using a righty safety.

I would look at a Bersa as far as ambidextrous controls go. Everything is ambi (safety, sliderelease, mag release) and I've heard good things about their reputation. I have found that my muscle memory still goes for a righty mag-release, so I keep my mag-release righty and it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo304 View Post
    THAT is good news. Maybe I'll just hold off for a while. Hopefully some news will leak from S&W soon about a safety-less model.
    I'm going to hold off for a while myself. Noting to lose in doing that. Firearm prices continue to get back to normal and I do have a PM9. Oh, wait, did I just commit a DC crime by saying I was going to delay a gun purchase?

I'm a lefty, ended up getting the xds .45 because no safely, small and thin, my wife can use it being right handed. Did just pick up the sccy version 2 in 9mm, no safely and exact size of the xds

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget, you can pull that safety off the sear housing block with little effort. The safety should never be a deal breaker on the shield, it can easily be ignored or removed.

While true, it's never a good idea to modify a self defense gun. I can only imagine how THAT would be construed in court.

As others have stated, the safety is very stiff. And rather redundant. I just leave it disengaged. And as I understand it, S&W has no plans on making a model without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I don't want to derail a thread, but how often do you get a thread just chock-full of left handers who own Shields? So, besides the safety, you left-handers can eject the magazine with your left hand?!?! I am left handed and have to switch hands to eject the magazine. My firearms instructor and my husband both told me I have to change and do it left handed. There is NO WAY I can hit that lever when holding the gun left handed. It would be much easier for me to just shoot right handed. I have shot maybe 10 varieties of semi-auto pistols and I have not found one that I can do left-handed. It's bad enough I have to re-learn how to rack a slide the left-handed way, but I absolutely have not been able to get that lever with my finger instead of my thumb.

Can you eject the magazine in the Shield left handed? You can hit it with your finger instead of your thumb?

Side note, I already have an "ambidextrous" alternative in the works - I have a Gen 4 26 that I am supposed to be switching to left-handed, but the problem with that is that I love my Gen 3 19 and that does not switch, and I want them both to be the same. If I switch it, I'll have to get a Gen 4 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Lees View Post
    Ok, I don't want to derail a thread, but how often do you get a thread just chock-full of left handers who own Shields? So, besides the safety, you left-handers can eject the magazine with your left hand?!?! I am left handed and have to switch hands to eject the magazine. My firearms instructor and my husband both told me I have to change and do it left handed. There is NO WAY I can hit that lever when holding the gun left handed. It would be much easier for me to just shoot right handed. I have shot maybe 10 varieties of semi-auto pistols and I have not found one that I can do left-handed. It's bad enough I have to re-learn how to rack a slide the left-handed way, but I absolutely have not been able to get that lever with my finger instead of my thumb.

Can you eject the magazine in the Shield left handed? You can hit it with your finger instead of your thumb?

Side note, I already have an "ambidextrous" alternative in the works - I have a Gen 4 26 that I am supposed to be switching to left-handed, but the problem with that is that I love my Gen 3 19 and that does not switch, and I want them both to be the same. If I switch it, I'll have to get a Gen 4 19.

I looked at my wifes Shield, the mag release can't be swapped over to LH? Looks like it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
    I looked at my wifes Shield, the mag release can't be swapped over to LH? Looks like it could be.
    I'm not sure if it can or not (I read that it's not in the manual), but it would be a lot better for me if it were just possible to keep it righty and be able to hit it with my finger.

Also, my Gen 3 G19 looks like it can be reversed, but it can't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links