Defensive Carry banner

SR40c question

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  HemiCoupl 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I was browsing the local gun shop yesterday and the Ruger SR40c caught my eye. I read many reviews last night when I got home, and there were several mentions of firing issues :frown: (pin not striking primer hard enough to fire). I figured the best place to get some real feedback on the pistol was right here! Does anyone own the SR40c and if so, have you had any issues with reliable firing?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

#2 ·
I believe I've seen Taurahe praise his SR40c many times. If he doesn't pop in here be sure to PM him for his thoughts. I don't own one but have looked into them a bit and don't remember seeing the firing pin issues. Just heard good things. I'd probably seriously be considering one if I wasn't so dead set on getting a G26. lol Good luck with your search!

#3 ·
I have the smaller brother, the SR9c and have no issues with light strikes to date. Owned it for about 1.5 years now. A co-worker has a 40c and I'm not aware of light strike issues with his.

If you do get a 40c, be SURE to give it a thorough cleaning BEFORE shooting it. There have been reports of preservative grease and other gunk in the firing pin channel. Pretty easy to take it apart and remove the striker and clean the channel out and then lightly lube with a drop or two of gun oil. Search YouTube for videos on this.

I love my 9c and I think you would love the 40c. It IS a nice gun and carries well.

#4 ·
I do indeed love my SR40C :) i responded to your pm as well. For others who may be considering a SR series pistol i will explain the firing pin issue.
The mag safety is the problem. The mag safety is a u shaped piece that rides a spring and plunger and phyically blocks the firing pin from striking the primer. With a mag removed, the firing pin will move when the trigger is pulled, but will not actually strike the primer of a chambered round.

The problem is that the firing can drag on the mag safety as it passes through when firing, slowing down the firing pin and potentially causing light primer strikes.
The fix is to simply remove the mag safety, which takes a youtube video and about ten minutes. This is also a good time to scrub the firing pin channel as it is packed with preservative lube.

I removed mine immediately before i ever fired, but only because it was an easy fix and not a problem i wanted to deal with. I have between 400-600 rnds through my ruger, and it has been flawless.
It is a great gun at a wallet friendly price, the ergonomics are fantastic and it smells nice too :)

Note to ruger : give me a job. I seem to always be promoting you guys..... or a SR1911 would work too... :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
As a fellow SR40C owner thanks for the tip on the magazine safety. I have not experienced any problems with mine, but might opt to remove it anyway. SpankyMA1971 you picked a fine firearm. My only suggestion is to get a spare extended magazine (Yes they are pricey, and there might be on backorder) but 9+1 in gun and two 15 round spare magazines make for a lot of firepower.

Reactions: SpankyMA1971
#10 ·
My only complaint about my SR9c is the shitty sites. I am thinking about putting a Crimson Trace on it? I mostly carry mine with the 10 round mag with the pinky extension. I can wear IWB, on my belt, or I just stick it in my back pocket when I go to get the mail or outside for any prolonged period. Great trigger!

#11 ·
I am curious what you didnt like about the sites? I actually really liked them, just not for defensive work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.